AR10 vs M1A - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 04-03-2020, 04:40 PM
wccountryboy wccountryboy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Not sure how it would do as I've never shot it past 200. But I know that most good shooters at Camp Perry are shooting MOA at 600 yds, and the winners are doing better than that.

Again....my post wasn't to claim the the M1 was overall more accurate than an AR 10. Rather it was to point out than an M1 is no slouch in that dept. Clearly it can be a very accurate gun, but as you noted, it takes more time and money to do so.
We're on the same page.... I fully believe an M14/M1A can be every bit the equal of an AR10- but it will take a lot more skilled labour and money to do so....
__________________
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-03-2020, 05:05 PM
Striker2237 Striker2237 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 7,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
Not sure how it would do as I've never shot it past 200. But I know that most good shooters at Camp Perry are shooting MOA at 600 yds, and the winners are doing better than that.

Again....my post wasn't to claim the the M1 was overall more accurate than an AR 10. Rather it was to point out than an M1 is no slouch in that dept. Clearly it can be a very accurate gun, but as you noted, it takes more time and money to do so.
We're on the same page.... I fully believe an M14/M1A can be every bit the equal of an AR10- but it will take a lot more skilled labour and money to do so....
With a good amount of beating ones head against the wall when the bedding needs to be redone.....again.
__________________
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-03-2020, 07:18 PM
bmcgilvray bmcgilvray is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 376
Guess I'm not an adequately "serious" shooter, for both of these rifles will shoot 1 1/4-inch 5-shot groups at 100 yards from off the bench rest when using prepared hand loads ... when I'm in a shooting humor. A few groups have scared an inch. I'm well satisfied with them for my purposes.

This one's a plain ol' early Springfield Armory M1A with a Devine, Texas receiver and an SAK 1-69 standard weight barrel. No National match, not "loaded", no frills, no muss, and no fuss in a good, heavy and dense military contract walnut stock with no special attention given to bedding. It's boringly consistent and with no beating of one's head against the wall in 30-plus years of ownership. Couldn't be more pleased with it. Perhaps I have a low threshold of satisfaction in my service rifles.


This one's just a plain ol' late 1973 SP-1 Colt, unmolested, not HBAR, not match grade, nothin' special. Barrel's too light to be taken seriously on a high-power firing line, but I don't view .223/5.56 as a true "high-power" cartridge anyway, preferring my beloved .30 calibers.


For what it's worth I began shooting high-power with this Model 1903-A3. Accuracy is fantastic and I learned to shoot the rapid-fire stages efficiently with it.


Thought I was really in "high-cotton" when I graduated to this M1 in about 1987.


I don't much enjoy playing "dress-up" with the rifles.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-04-2020, 08:12 AM
M-Peltier M-Peltier is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
With a good amount of beating ones head against the wall when the bedding needs to be redone.....again.
Or simply changing the trigger group. That can turn one from a MOA shooter to a shotgun pretty quick. I have never owned another rifle that was drastically affected by the tension induced by the trigger group like an M1A. Very frustrating.
__________________
Ex-Military, 20+ years 3-Gun competitor, Colt certified Armorer, NRA Instructor, NSRT Officer-Retired, LGS Guru.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-04-2020, 11:54 AM
K0025xx K0025xx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: n/e TN
Posts: 329
M1A is not more durable.
Been building both for a long time. I have both in battle-ready no BS configurations. Both need aftermarket support to be anything more than a weekend warrior*. Both, in equal configuration, would be comparable. I wouldn't want to have to live on the difference.
*With the exception of the Armalite AR10B. IMO there is only one true AR10, that's Armalite.

My M1A Socom in an EBR chassis. Only thing original form Springfield is the receiver and barrel. Shoots about 2-1/2" groups @ 100yds. Plenty good for battle conditions.



My EBR with my 16" SASS AR10 that I built from parts, for comparison. They both weigh almost identical, right at 12#. Neither are a lightweight. AR10 Rifle shoots about .3-.4moa with match ammo. Only difference now is the AR10 has a USO scope on it. It's my go-to rifle if I ever have to grab one weapons bag and bug out. ONe interesting thing to note between the AR and M1A...I can use the same mags in both rifles.





This is my 20" AR10 that started life as a 24" AR10T upper from Armalite. Barrel is shortened and crowned and as with the others, I built the remainder from parts, mostly match parts form Armalite. Scope is IOR Valdata. The target is 10 shots @ 200yds with that rifle.




This is my 6.5 Creedmore "AR10" that I built form an 80% receiver. Has a stainless 5R Balistic Advantage barrel and all the best goodies. Sporting a Long Range USO scope. It did pretty good on it's first outing (100yd target)




Per the conversation, I also had this Springfield Nat. Match M1A that I completely went through...



...and currently have this one; This is a fully customized build from Springfield with all USGI parts. TRW bolt, TRW trigger housing, Nat Match trigger, TRW op rod, and SAK '69 barrel with Israeli Defense Force marking. Neither of the above M1A rifles would I consider taking into battle (nor the 6.5 AR) but they are beautiful examples and fun to shoot.



Stay safe!
__________________
If God is your co-pilot, change seats!

Last edited by K0025xx; 04-04-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-04-2020, 12:03 PM
K0025xx K0025xx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: n/e TN
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
An AR-10 can be suppressed, is lighter, and is more accurate. Optics mounting simpler too. The M1A is an inferior rifle in every way possible, except in the looks department.
That is absolute nonsense.
__________________
If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-04-2020, 12:20 PM
K0025xx K0025xx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: n/e TN
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
When we say AR-10, are we talking about something like the Dutch were building in the late '50s, or are we talking about a KAC SR-25?

The 308 AR platform has evolved a lot over the decades, and has many unique attributes among different manufacturers. The M14/M1A have remained essentially the same since 1957, aside from having different stocks and barrel lengths offered.
IMO There is only one true AR10 and that's Armalite.
__________________
If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-04-2020, 07:02 PM
Striker2237 Striker2237 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 7,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0025xx View Post
That is absolute nonsense.
Uh.........please name one thing it does equal?
__________________
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-04-2020, 07:14 PM
wccountryboy wccountryboy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Uh.........please name one thing it does equal?
I'll take a stab at it...

All else being equal, I find the M14, in a semi traditional, non pistol grip stock to be easier handling, a bit smoother to move, more natural. The AR10 tends to be a bit more muzzle heavy in general... very subjective, but just my own experience.

As said before, the M14 CAN be every bit the equal of the AR10- its just more difficult, will require a specialized gunsmith, and cost a small fortune.... so the AR really isn't "better", its just easier and cheaply to produce the same results....
__________________
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-05-2020, 09:28 AM
K0025xx K0025xx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: n/e TN
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Uh.........please name one thing it does equal?
Are we comparing apples to apples? No. It's absurd comparison in the first place. However, give me either in battlefield dress and they will both perform equally. Give me either in match dress and they will both perform equally. One is far more complex than the other. The biggest difference between these two platforms is opinion but to say "The M1A is an inferior rifle in every way possible, is an absurdly exaggerated, inaccurate statement.
__________________
If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-05-2020, 11:03 AM
Striker2237 Striker2237 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 7,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0025xx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Uh.........please name one thing it does equal?
Are we comparing apples to apples? No. It's absurd comparison in the first place. However, give me either in battlefield dress and they will both perform equally. Give me either in match dress and they will both perform equally. One is far more complex than the other. The biggest difference between these two platforms is opinion but to say "The M1A is an inferior rifle in every way possible, is an absurdly exaggerated, inaccurate statement.
But it literally is, more complex, more expensive, worse optics mounting solution, heavier, worse handling, worse ergos, way less reliable, less accurate, less durable.....

I have both guns and I like my M1A NM with its chassis and tuning but it costs double my armalite AR10 and is not even half as accurate. My other AR10 with a Kriger barrel makes the first look like a joke and the M1A a shotgun.

It's a perfectly valid comparison since bob are 7.62 battle rifles and one simply does everything everything the other does and more for less money and if equal is spent the AR is way ahead. However both lose for the same reasons to the SCAR because at the end of the day if you are looking at these guns as tools you want the lightest, strongest, fastest, most reliable and versatile tool you can get.

And that's not a M1A unfortunately
__________________
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-05-2020, 01:22 PM
K0025xx K0025xx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: n/e TN
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
But it literally is, more complex, more expensive, worse optics mounting solution, heavier, worse handling, worse ergos, way less reliable, less accurate, less durable.....

I have both guns and I like my M1A NM with its chassis and tuning but it costs double my armalite AR10 and is not even half as accurate. My other AR10 with a Kriger barrel makes the first look like a joke and the M1A a shotgun.

It's a perfectly valid comparison since bob are 7.62 battle rifles and one simply does everything everything the other does and more for less money and if equal is spent the AR is way ahead. That is not true. However both lose for the same reasons to the SCAR that is not true either. because at the end of the day if you are looking at these guns as tools you want the lightest, strongest, fastest, most reliable and versatile tool you can get.

And that's not a M1A unfortunately
Look above. I have both. I have both in their "best" configuration. Have for a long time. I'm a big advocate of the AR10 platform. What you shared is an opinion, not a fact and while I respect your opinion, it's not supported by any facts. There are WAY too many variables to compare the two equally but as equally as you can, the FACT is, they are comparable in just about every situation. THAT is a fact. I've also had a fully dressed out Scar. Notice I said "had".
I don't mind people having a difference of opinion, just stat it as such, not as a bold statement of fact.
__________________
If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-05-2020, 01:27 PM
Striker2237 Striker2237 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 7,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0025xx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
But it literally is, more complex, more expensive, worse optics mounting solution, heavier, worse handling, worse ergos, way less reliable, less accurate, less durable.....

I have both guns and I like my M1A NM with its chassis and tuning but it costs double my armalite AR10 and is not even half as accurate. My other AR10 with a Kriger barrel makes the first look like a joke and the M1A a shotgun.

It's a perfectly valid comparison since bob are 7.62 battle rifles and one simply does everything everything the other does and more for less money and if equal is spent the AR is way ahead. That is not true. However both lose for the same reasons to the SCAR that is not true either. because at the end of the day if you are looking at these guns as tools you want the lightest, strongest, fastest, most reliable and versatile tool you can get.

And that's not a M1A unfortunately
Look above. I have both. I have both in their "best" configuration. Have for a long time. I'm a big advocate of the AR10 platform. What you shared is an opinion, not a fact and while I respect your opinion, it's not supported by any facts. There are WAY too many variables to compare the two equally but as equally as you can, the FACT is, they are comparable in just about every situation. THAT is a fact. I've also had a fully dressed out Scar. Notice I said "had".[IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.1911forum.com/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
I don't mind people having a difference of opinion, just stat it as such, not as a bold statement of fact.
What gun scores better at camp perry? It's not the M1A, period. It's an inferior design and it's why it's not used at the top level of anything anymore. Performance never lies.

You will NEVER out score a top level AR10 with a top level M1A if both shooters have identical skills, a better tool is a better tool.

What gun is easier to mount optics on without requiring a chassis or custom stock? What gun has drop free mags and easy to use controls? What gun has less recoil? I mean the M1A is cool and all but it's just not as capable or more importantly easy to use and move with as any AR type rifle. You can spec out a competition type AR 10 that's is 7 or less lb and holds a true 1/2 MOA or better and it will not have any reliability or durability issues all while mounting the latest optics/IR gear/lights.

You just can't make an M1A do that. Timers and match scores don't lie what guns do better, repair bill costs also don't lie what gun needs more attention.

Put another way......do you want this?

https://www.springfield-armory.com/m...r-match-rifles

And have to drop extra money or time into it to make double certain the bedding is perfect/replace the stock with a chassis like I opted to, gas system is perfect, trigger group is perfect, add on some way to mount modern optics and then again make sure everything is playing nicely to go shoot maybe a 1 MOA group with the ammo it likes best on perfect day but probably 1.5 in reality before you need to tune the gun back up.

Or just buy these two and add whatever high end scope you like and shoot 1/4 moa all day for less than 1/2 the money?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ducts_id/75794

https://kriegerbarrels.com/products#ar10

Or even just buy a stock M&P10

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/1...-wesson-mp-10/

Or spend the same on one of these and totally crush any M1A at precision AND still be able to run in 3-gun with it if you wanted.

https://www.jprifles.com/1.2.5_LRP07.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXXkqktfuj8

The M1A CAN'T do what that gun can. Period.
__________________
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 04-05-2020 at 03:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-05-2020, 06:09 PM
K0025xx K0025xx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: n/e TN
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post

Or just buy these two and add whatever high end scope you like and shoot 1/4 moa all day for less than 1/2 the money?

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ducts_id/75794

https://kriegerbarrels.com/products#ar10

Or even just buy a stock M&P10

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/1...-wesson-mp-10/



The M1A CAN'T do what that gun can. Period.
OMG...you actually think a POS DPMS can shoot 1/4 moa all day? Or a stock M&P10? Have you ever even shot anything that can shoot 1/4 moa?
Do you even know what 1/4 moa IS?
I can't tell you what a fool you're making of yourself bud. You are the poster child for copy and paste internet expert.
I tell you what. I will put MY best M1A against YOUR best AR10 any day, any time.

You do have an AR10, right?

You're absolutely CLUELESS about M1A's and their capability and sticking a DPMS in your argument just eliminated ANY credibility you might have had.
Good grief.
Go over to the M14 Forum and try selling your stupidity over there. Let me know how THAT works for you.
__________________
If God is your co-pilot, change seats!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-05-2020, 06:28 PM
wccountryboy wccountryboy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,036
I think you CAN be a top scorer at Perry with an M14- IF you're both gifted and have about ~$7k to drop into the rifle (or are a master M14 smith), less the optic.... the reason it doesn't happen is the same results can be achieved for 1/3rd the money put into the rifle....

To the particulars... I think the M14 is both easier handling and more ergonomic- but thats a personal preference. Piston guns are general consider more "reliable" than DI guns- but tuat difference is negligible with a good build and deceleration maintaince.

The AR plays to the more marginally talented, on a budget.
__________________
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-05-2020, 07:38 PM
Striker2237 Striker2237 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 7,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0025xx View Post
OMG...you actually think a POS DPMS can shoot 1/4 moa all day? Or a stock M&P10? Have you ever even shot anything that can shoot 1/4 moa?
Do you even know what 1/4 moa IS?
I can't tell you what a fool you're making of yourself bud. You are the poster child for copy and paste internet expert.
I tell you what. I will put MY best M1A against YOUR best AR10 any day, any time.

You do have an AR10, right?

You're absolutely CLUELESS about M1A's and their capability and sticking a DPMS in your argument just eliminated ANY credibility you might have had.
Good grief.
Go over to the M14 Forum and try selling your stupidity over there. Let me know how THAT works for you.
Not a stock DPMS, a DPMS with a premium barrel properly fit as I said above. They have used stock M&P 10s as I linked and many other comparable stock AR10s will do similar across all brands since the platform is just plain superior.

The M14 forum is FILLED with posts with people talking about how to get the guns accurate to compete with or to shot the same as ARs scores and how stock examples are around 3 MOA guns.

I will GLADLY take that bet all day any day since you will be up against a gun and ammo combo that always produces true 10 shot 3/4 MOA groups at 400 yards and is wearing a Leupold MK4 to make my job stupid easy. When and how would you like to do it, both post up uncut video? What distance do you want to do it at, keep in mind I only have access right now to 400 yards due to the whole quarantine thing.

Lastly since you doubt it here are pictures of my accurate guns, the AR10 is 2nd from the left and the TRG 42 is 3rd from the right and shoots better than 1/3 MOA for your information.





M1A NM is all the way at the end of the left row of rifles in this picture

__________________
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-05-2020, 07:42 PM
Striker2237 Striker2237 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 7,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
I think you CAN be a top scorer at Perry with an M14- IF you're both gifted and have about ~$7k to drop into the rifle (or are a master M14 smith), less the optic.... the reason it doesn't happen is the same results can be achieved for 1/3rd the money put into the rifle....

To the particulars... I think the M14 is both easier handling and more ergonomic- but thats a personal preference. Piston guns are general consider more "reliable" than DI guns- but tuat difference is negligible with a good build and deceleration maintaince.

The AR plays to the more marginally talented, on a budget.
The M14 pattern guns instantly stop working if anything gets in the oprod track, INrange did a bunch of videos on many guns in heavy mud, dust, drag tests and the ARs by far do the best and the M14 type guns don't do well at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrPjlcJ3rtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYfGq1yk66Q

I am kinda surprised you feel the M14 handles better, I could never get mine to work well with me in a heavy metal match and I feel like I'm always fighting it to get it to do what I want it to. To clarify I like basically all guns and my participation in this thread is purely from the perspective of best tool/I'm bored and have nothing else to do anyway right now and having a pedantic discussion of particulars of AR-10 vs M1A even though I enjoy both of mine for group shooting or 3-gun/any shooting really.
__________________
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 04-05-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-05-2020, 09:53 PM
US1911 US1911 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11,587
^^^Nice arsenal Striker, great variety too!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-05-2020, 10:49 PM
Striker2237 Striker2237 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 7,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
^^^Nice arsenal Striker, great variety too!
Thank you, those are from my 2017 inventory day. I pull all my guns out and update my master list of weapons and serial number and take apart and lube all of them once a year so I know all my stuff is functional. Unfortunately some of my stuff only really comes out of the safes on that day.......here is another pair of pictures showing a few more guns. There are more around the corner but I don't have wide view shots of those. Also before someone brings it up YES I OWN HIGHPOINTS.





This virus and resultant fallout is severely temping me to take every rifle out and zero them and create a 200 yard "proof" target with each ones service ammo to create a huge tapestry of targets. I know my K31 and K11 have not been even shot yet at 200!
__________________
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland

Last edited by Striker2237; 04-05-2020 at 10:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-06-2020, 12:09 AM
USMM guy USMM guy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Rural VA
Posts: 21,924
High points?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Thank you, those are from my 2017 inventory day. I pull all my guns out and update my master list of weapons and serial number and take apart and lube all of them once a year so I know all my stuff is functional. Unfortunately some of my stuff only really comes out of the safes on that day.......here is another pair of pictures showing a few more guns. There are more around the corner but I don't have wide view shots of those. Also before someone brings it up YES I OWN HIGHPOINTS.





This virus and resultant fallout is severely temping me to take every rifle out and zero them and create a 200 yard "proof" target with each ones service ammo to create a huge tapestry of targets. I know my K31 and K11 have not been even shot yet at 200!
You are kidding us right. Tell us that you just photo shopped those in there. I mean really.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-06-2020, 08:01 AM
wccountryboy wccountryboy is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 11,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
I am kinda surprised you feel the M14 handles better, I could never get mine to work well with me in a heavy metal match and I feel like I'm always fighting it to get it to do what I want it to.
The bulk of my experience is with 18" guns, though the EBR was 22... and in an operational capacity, not off a bench. The M14 just moved better. The AR10 always felt like it had a brick tied to the muzzle, swinging on a length of Type III nylon cords. Nor do I find a straight AR type pistol grip the most comfortable or ergonomic. Perhaps its the basically 90 angles, makes me feel like I'm holding the rifle. With the M14, with a semi traditional style stock, rather than holding the rifle, it becomes an extension of my arm.
__________________
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-06-2020, 10:40 AM
havanajim havanajim is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by wccountryboy View Post
....... Nor do I find a straight AR type pistol grip the most comfortable or ergonomic. ......
Agree 100%. I've always said that the AR grip is way too close to the trigger. For short-fingered folks, it's great. If you have long fingers, it creates an awkward bend, or you end up with too much finger on the trigger. I've had to resort to grip spacers to get the right feel, and even then it's not really the 'right' feel. It's one of the many reasons that the 'AR' - any AR - has never become my favorite rifle.

As to this debate, well, you gotta love first world problems! None of us are going into combat. For many, our castle-storming days are far behind us. Few, if any of us, shoot high power at Camp Perry. For all practical purposes, a 1 MOA rifle is just as much fun as a 1/2 MOA rifle, unless your bailiwick is shooting paper all day. And yes, an M1A can be an excellent rifle without investing the price of a small car - at least for most of us 'average' folk.

But don't let this humble post interrupt the free flow of opinions - sorry, I mean information!!! As to which 'this' is better than that 'what'.... please, carry on!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-06-2020, 11:04 AM
K0025xx K0025xx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: n/e TN
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
Not a stock DPMS, a DPMS with a premium barrel properly fit as I said above. They have used stock M&P 10s as I linked and many other comparable stock AR10s will do similar across all brands since the platform is just plain superior.

The M14 forum is FILLED with posts with people talking about how to get the guns accurate to compete with or to shot the same as ARs scores and how stock examples are around 3 MOA guns.

I will GLADLY take that bet all day any day since you will be up against a gun and ammo combo that always produces true 10 shot 3/4 MOA groups at 400 yards and is wearing a Leupold MK4 to make my job stupid easy. When and how would you like to do it, both post up uncut video? What distance do you want to do it at, keep in mind I only have access right now to 400 yards due to the whole quarantine thing.

Lastly since you doubt it here are pictures of my accurate guns, the AR10 is 2nd from the left and the TRG 42 is 3rd from the right and shoots better than 1/3 MOA for your information.
So now we've gone from 1/4 moa "all day" to 1/3 and 3/4 moa...
Nice gun collection. Can't hide money, can you. Doesn't prove a thing other than you have a lot of money to spend on expensive guns. So if I post a pic of all my firearms will that make me cool too?
Post up some targets.
I'll work on a vid. I have a 100yd range on my property. I already know what my "good" .308 AR10 will do. I put up a 200yd pic above. I know there are plenty of sub moa M1A's as well. Not sure if mine is one but I'll find out this week. I also know that claiming a rifle is Xmoa and being able to shoot it that well are two different things.

I'm going to re-state my point just to keep things on track;
As a general statement, an M1A/M14 is no where near inferior to an AR10. Take a standard grade Springfield M1A out of the box, and take a standard grade Armalite AR10 out of the box, go shoot, and both will do exactly what they are both designed to do. Both will be ~2moa rifles, both will shoot thousands of rounds, both will take the same abuse. I won't argue that the AR platform has some advantages but not to the point where the statement "does EVERYTHING better" or "is superior in EVERY way" is a true statement. That's just ignorant and arrogant vibrato form someone who doesn't know any better.
__________________
If God is your co-pilot, change seats!

Last edited by K0025xx; 04-06-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-06-2020, 11:16 AM
K0025xx K0025xx is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: n/e TN
Posts: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
Agree 100%. I've always said that the AR grip is way too close to the trigger. For short-fingered folks, it's great. If you have long fingers, it creates an awkward bend, or you end up with too much finger on the trigger. I've had to resort to grip spacers to get the right feel, and even then it's not really the 'right' feel. It's one of the many reasons that the 'AR' - any AR - has never become my favorite rifle.

As to this debate, well, you gotta love first world problems! None of us are going into combat. For many, our castle-storming days are far behind us. Few, if any of us, shoot high power at Camp Perry. For all practical purposes, a 1 MOA rifle is just as much fun as a 1/2 MOA rifle, unless your bailiwick is shooting paper all day. And yes, an M1A can be an excellent rifle without investing the price of a small car - at least for most of us 'average' folk.

But don't let this humble post interrupt the free flow of opinions - sorry, I mean information!!! As to which 'this' is better than that 'what'.... please, carry on!!!!!
About the AR grip angle; on my "rifles" that I might even shoot prone, I like the original grip angle but for the shorter rifles and shooting something a little higher on the shoulder or even an SBR, a straighter grip seems to work better. Doesn't bend the wrist quite as bad. I really like the Hogue grips on my two AR10 rifles. I don't have overly large hands but I do wear "large" gloves. I have Geissele triggers on most of my AR's and a couple Armalite Match triggers that, I think, have a little further forward position.
And I completely agree with the rest of your statement.
__________________
If God is your co-pilot, change seats!

Last edited by K0025xx; 04-06-2020 at 11:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-06-2020, 11:52 AM
havanajim havanajim is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by K0025xx View Post
About the AR grip angle; on my "rifles" that I might even shoot prone, I like the original grip angle but for the shorter rifles and shooting something a little higher on the shoulder or even an SBR, a straighter grip seems to work better. Doesn't bend the wrist quite as bad. I really like the Hogue grips on my two AR10 rifles. .....
The solution to my 'AR' problem. For me, it makes them more comfortable to use, but even then, for enjoyment purposes, I prefer other designs.

Name:  AR Spacer.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  48.5 KB

To stay on topic..... and stir the pot.... if I were going into 'combat' tomorrow, in some altered, imaginary dimension, I would grab the FAL first. Next up would be an HK/PTR-91. Then it would be the M1A. And, I wouldn't consider myself hamstrung in appreciable manner by any of them. Besides, there will be plenty of ARs laying around for use in an emergency!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved