1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-04-2020, 07:08 AM

New RIA 1911 Cleaning Recommendations

Hi, all -

New member here. I'm a long-time 1911 owner but I'm new to the Rock Island Armory family.

I just purchased and received a RIA Pro Match Tac Ultra 1911 A1 6" in 10mm. As delivered, the pistol was pretty well dripping with protective oil. The video on the RIA web site demonstrating takedown and reassembly of the 6" models recommends cleaning off the protective lube and re-lubing with gun lubricant.

I did remove and disassemble the slide (except the extractor), cleaned off all the protective stuff, relubed with Ballistol and a little gun grease on the rails, and reassembled.

I don't want to get into the frame unless I really need to - what do y'all think? Is it necessary?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2020, 03:52 PM

That is the exact gun I have been lusting after!

Pull the grips and clean in there; and also the firing pin channel. Blue or purple Loktite on the grip screws.
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Old 04-04-2020, 04:29 PM

Sounds fine. Clean it like every other gun. Mine works well that way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
That is the exact gun I have been lusting after!

Pull the grips and clean in there; and also the firing pin channel. Blue or purple Loktite on the grip screws.
Yep, I did remove the firing pin and clean out the channel, pin, and pin spring, and re-lube lightly with Ballistol.

I'll pull the grips and use Loktite per your suggestion, thanks!

BTW, this gun is almost as big as I am.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod B View Post
Yep, I did remove the firing pin and clean out the channel, pin, and pin spring, and re-lube lightly with Ballistol.

I'll pull the grips and use Loktite per your suggestion, thanks!

BTW, this gun is almost as big as I am.
I bought a Ruger MkII recently, and it still had shipping oil from when new under the grips. I found that out when I pulled the grips to replace them with some very nice wood ones.
Equal opportunity, not equal outcome.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:57 AM

Rock Island fills them with heavy oil for shipping. I'd take it completely down and clean everything. If it can be removed remove it and clean it.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg1 View Post
Rock Island fills them with heavy oil for shipping. I'd take it completely down and clean everything. If it can be removed remove it and clean it.
Do this !!
Old 04-05-2020, 09:24 PM

OK, it looks like a full teardown is in order. On it!
Old 04-07-2020, 12:38 PM

Same one I got
Attached Thumbnails
20200219_142124_1586281065235.jpg  
Old 04-07-2020, 01:05 PM

I use Eds Red in cleaning my 1911s. The extractor fitting of my RIA is really tight, I may have to use the Brownells Extractor Removing Tool but it is out of stock.

There was a learning curve for me in removing the ambidextrous thumb safety because the RIA is my first ever 1911 with an ambi. The gun is tight/snugly fitted, just the way I like it.
Old 04-07-2020, 01:35 PM

When I got my RIA Ultra FS 9mm I took the slide all the way down including the extractor. For the frame I just removed the grips.

Used mineral spirits like they suggested and cleaned everything well. Used a compressor afterwards to ensure that everything was 100% dry.

Used Hornady 1-shot gun cleaner on the frame internals and Ballistol for everything else. Since I use 'B' as my standard CLP, I knew it would eventually migrate into the frame as well.

I'm now approaching 10k rounds and at 5k rounds I did the same cleaning but also took the time to replace the mainspring & firing pin springs & recoil spring. Springs were replaced just because I had it stripped not because of function.

Since then all I do is a field strip. That's all I plan to do going forward (other than recoil spring as needed). Use 'B' as my CLP and won't change unless I get some type of malfunction.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:24 PM

I have seen a video from Armscor where mineral spirit is used for cleaning their pistol. Is that the advisable method for cleaning a new RIA pistol full of factory oil, or is that the recommended regular cleaning method?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:39 PM

First - buy an air compressor if you don't have one. Remove the slide and pull the barrel out. Apply CLP or your favorite cleaner liberally to all parts and let it soak down into the action. Blow most of it off but leave a thin layer on everything. Scrub out the bore. Reassemble. You really don't need to clean the extractor and firing pin tunnels every time you clean it - maybe every 3rd or 4th time. Wipe down the exterior. You're done.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:52 PM

It does NOT get better than this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4WPQxAyJks
Old 04-15-2020, 06:13 PM

I did break down the bottom end (while watching the Armscor video - got my laptop space bar nice and oily ), gave it all a good cleaning and re-lube. This was my first time to do a complete disassembly on a 1911 and it was quite educational.

Not sure about other brands of 1911, but the RIA is very picky about things going back together in exactly the correct order. Which is just another way of saying that I didn't know *** I was doing, glad I had that video to watch!

One other thing to mention: When I initially removed the slide and cleaned up that part of the gun, I noticed that the full-length guide rod had tool marks on the flathead slot at the front, and the guide rod itself was visibly bent. Not enough to keep the slide from racking easily, but still. Rolling across a flat surface demonstrated a wobble. I contacted Armscor Customer Support and established a dialog quickly, and within a week they are shipping me a new guide rod. Great customer support, kudos to Armscor!