Rock 10mm double-stack mag reliability - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-04-2020, 03:35 PM

Rock 10mm double-stack mag reliability

Looking at getting one of these, but wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has a 10mm high-capacity (HC) Rock. How well do the stock mags feed? What aftermarket mags do well with the Rocks? TIA
Old 04-04-2020, 05:31 PM

I had one of these with the factory magazine and with two additional mags that were also Mec-Gar. I left them loaded for a week before before using them at the range and never had any trouble from them.

I don’t think it is specific to the 10mm RIAs, but I do recall seeing something about not using some Chip McCormick mags with some of their guns because they have slightly different dimensions and will not feed properly with those mags.

I had some consistent feeding issues with Sellier & Belliot’s 180 grain truncated cone FMJs. The feeding round would start its way in to the chamber, where the steep angled side of the projectile would get pressed up against the inside of the chamber (basically the angled side of the projectile would be parallel to the top wall of the chamber and then get forced up against it) and instead of sliding forward, the friction of the upward momentum would freeze the round in place. The slide would finish cycling forward and slam the nose of the projectile in to the lip of the barrel (i.e. the lip where the casing would butt up against to headspace it) and would leave a dent in the face of the projectile.

I went through three hundred of these with failures to feed every second to fourth round. I suspect that either that particular batch was out of spec somehow (seems like I would have seen something about people having the same issue otherwise) or else the S&B’s truncated cone shape is just slightly different enough to those of Remington’s that it caused the issue. I had some of the Remington 180 grain truncated cones at the range at the same time and they all functioned without error (as did the variety of 135 grain underwoods, 165 grain underwoods, 180 grain underwoods, 200 grain underwoods, 165 grain minuteman ammo, and the speer gold dots that I used- forget the grain). So of the ~600 rounds that I put through that gun before I sold it to move on to a gun for a .460 Rowland conversion, only those S&B rounds caused any trouble for me- which is why I do not feel the magazines had anything to do with it.
I even numbered the mags while I was at the range getting those misfeeds and cycled through each magazine with both partial and full loads to see if the magazine springs were causing the problem.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:59 PM

I was not aware Chip McCormick or Mec-Gar was offering double stack 10mm magazines for RIA models.

I've never had any trouble with the factory mag that came with my 10mm dual stack.
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020, 06:34 PM

The gun I saw at the LGS had an ACT mag, marked for .40 cal interestingly.

Last edited by TominMO; 04-04-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TominMO View Post
The gun I saw at the LGS had an ACT mag, marked for .40 cal imterestingly.
My mistake; they were in fact these mags by ACT and were marked as .40 S&W (the woman at the shop I picked it up at mentioned she hoped that they had not shipped the wrong mags with it).
That’s what I get for going off of two year old memories 😉
Old 04-04-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
I was not aware Chip McCormick or Mec-Gar was offering double stack 10mm magazines for RIA models.

I've never had any trouble with the factory mag that came with my 10mm dual stack.
I should have been more clear before about the Chip McCormick mags- what I had seen was about single-stack mags specifically and I don’t recall the caliber. I just recalled that it was someone from Armscor talking with a customer at some convention and stating that there were known compatibility issues and so the customer should use an alternative magazine (he wasn’t pushing their own mags, just being honest about the incompatibility issue).

As for the MecGars, I misremembered the manufacturer in my earlier post- for some reason I had MecGar on the brain 😉
Old 04-04-2020, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelE View Post
Thanks Michael, good to know.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:42 PM

Never any problem with mine,I got 2 extra from advanced tactical they sell stock mags
Attached Thumbnails
20200219_142124_1586281328373.jpg