Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-03-2020, 07:32 PM

Who's laughing now ?

The short answer is - I AM.

I've been mocked and accused of being "paranoid", by many I know
for keeping 6+ months of provisions; food, water weapons, and other
provisions - just in case of (place SHTF disaster here).

Now, they're apologizing and wishing they had been more "forward -
looking", and asking me to sell them toilet paper. I have 50 rolls, and
I'm keeping them.

I have years of "just in case" money, no debt, my job is secure, and
(really) this "Covid-19 apocalypse" has no effect on me at all.

I knew one day my "prepping" would pay off, and that day is here.

I believe this will greatly change the attitudes of many in America
about "being prepared" and I (also) have a few hundred pounds of
silver, which, with the affect of the 4+ trillion $ "stimulus" should
be raising the value of silver (probably) to the sky, due to the lower
value of The Dollar...
Old 04-03-2020, 07:35 PM

Glad it worked out for you.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:37 PM

Only 50 rolls?
Seems a little light

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2020, 07:56 PM

Seriously? Things will need to get MUCH worse before I see an impact. Went grocery shopping for the first time in two weeks yesterday. Picked up a nice ham for Easter, .99 a pound, bread, flour, chips, coffee and yes, wait for it toilet paper! Really the shelves looked to getting back to normal. No Lysol or hand sanitizer but probably will be there when I go back in two more weeks. I am happy for you that you feel your prepping is paying off. But we are a long way from MRE's or dehydrated dinners
Old 04-03-2020, 08:10 PM

Cool.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:28 PM

The Hunt brothers (some of them) would have agreed on that stockpiling of silver.

One thing about preparation is that a little attentiveness goes a long way. It may be all that's needed.

But no preparation at all, common as such is among leftist nanny-state types, is very foolish...as foolish as leftism itself.

Another thing about preparation is probably to avoid announcing it to those immediately around you. Not all of the unprepared individuals will necessarily be so polite as to apologize and ask for help... some may feel that whomever can take something away from someone else is the new "rightful owner".

I'd try to be both well prepared and also low profile. No one else around me needs to know.

Edit: Similarly, I agree with USMM's observations (below) that this -- i.e., being better positioned than one's neighbors isn't something to laugh about...both for the low profile reason I've mentioned and the ethical reason USMM describes.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 04-03-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:07 PM

Not really much to laugh about from where I am standing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMCKY View Post

I'm keeping them.

value of The Dollar...
And I am speaking as someone that is what a lot of people would call a pretty radical "prepper". I am sorry but the idea of many people living rewarding and fruitful lives being cut down by some random flu bug. This is not something that I find to be in any way amusing. Good luck with your silver.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:

I'm keeping them.

value of The Dollar...
Most of my Neighbors, Friends and even some Family Members don't know how much I've "Prepped". That's always been "Need to Know". Most people don't need to know.

But many people I do know, are familiar that being an Eagle Boy Scout, I believe that "Be Prepared" is a good motto to live by. Some of them paid attention. Some of them, especially some of the youngsters that worked for me before I retired have thanked me for teaching them some Common Sense "Be Prepared".

As for the current issue, I firmly believe that Being the Neighbor I'd want to have is the way to do things.

So while I've got a well stocked pantry, med cabinet, liquor cabinet, treasure chest and armory (Keeping with my 5 B's: Beans, Bullets, Bullion, Booze and Buttwipe) I'm also helpful with Neighbors as much as I possibly can be.

One of my chores last week was to till up the elderly Neighbors garden spot for him. His wife usually rewards me with a pie or some cinnamon rolls as a Reward. When I'm 80-something, I hope there's a Neighbor that'll return the favor for me. Another Chore was GUbering (out here in the sticks, you can't find an Uber so you get GUber.) an elderly widow lady to the store and back. In addition, I've made sure my dad is well stocked and taken care of including taking him to a needed cardiologist appointment.

In short, I do my best to be the Neighbor I'd like to have.

There's times I fall short in that.

But other than wondering what the heck someone is going to do with 400 rolls of toilet paper, or why one person is wearing garbage bags as PPE, I'm not going to laugh at anyone.

I do hope that this changes the attitude of many, but the attitude of "We buy what we want and beg for what we need." really needs to end, so I'll hope that it does.

Because if anyone believes that this upheaval of our economy is going to be a temporary blip, and that nobody needs to learn to build reserves during the boom times and capacity during the bust times, then they're not learning a lesson they need to learn.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:13 PM

In the spirit of being neighborly.......tonight my neighbor and I shared a bottle of Woodford.

Tomorrow....I reckon we'll share HIS bottle.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:52 PM

Good on you for being prepared, but it seems a little classless to be rubbing it in everyone's faces. In times of crisis we should be trying to uplift eachother, and further educate people on proper preparation techniques, not berate everyone around us for their ignorance.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:03 PM

I wish I had neighbors like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
In the spirit of being neighborly.......tonight my neighbor and I shared a bottle of Woodford.

While they are good people for the most part. Most of my neighbors do not have two nickels to rub together. But I might be able to get a can of Spam from one of them if I needed it, Haute cuisine in these hills.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:05 AM

I’m Laughing Now.

Quote:

I'm keeping them.

value of The Dollar...
50 Rolls That wouldn’t last 6 months. I’d take some of that $40,000 in silver and go out and buy some more toiletries. Check your ammo supply to, you’re going to need more than 50 rounds to last 6 months.

I got 96 rolls just in my bug out vehicle. Probably 2,000 rolls in my storage garage.

You call yourself a prepper.

Seriously, you should reach out and help those in need. If you are blessed with wealth and toilet paper just give them a roll or two.
Attached Thumbnails
C2A4837F-035B-4381-A4BB-717B2EE7C49B.jpeg   F97FD553-C5DD-4549-82D4-6FAC489F90F2.jpeg  
Old 04-04-2020, 02:22 AM

I been buying extra food for decades just Incase the shtf. My family was laughing at me all the time. Tonight there was a yahoo post about a coming food shortage. We just tilled the big garden and the corn field is next. We ‘ll be canning again.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 04-04-2020, 08:29 AM

My wife and I are prepared to live indefinitely without assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
I been buying extra food for decades just Incase the shtf. My family was laughing at me all the time. Tonight there was a yahoo post about a coming food shortage. We just tilled the big garden and the corn field is next. We ‘ll be canning again.
Baring the unforeseen my biggest worry is what other people will do.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post

Bravo! I've been "breaking out" my Woodford a little every day this past week. And, if I wash my hands any more, my fingers are liable to fall off.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post
Most of my Neighbors, Friends and even some Family Members don't know how much I've "Prepped". That's always been "Need to Know". Most people don't need to know.

But many people I do know, are familiar that being an Eagle Boy Scout, I believe that "Be Prepared" is a good motto to live by. Some of them paid attention. Some of them, especially some of the youngsters that worked for me before I retired have thanked me for teaching them some Common Sense "Be Prepared".

As for the current issue, I firmly believe that Being the Neighbor I'd want to have is the way to do things.

So while I've got a well stocked pantry, med cabinet, liquor cabinet, treasure chest and armory (Keeping with my 5 B's: Beans, Bullets, Bullion, Booze and Buttwipe) I'm also helpful with Neighbors as much as I possibly can be.

One of my chores last week was to till up the elderly Neighbors garden spot for him. His wife usually rewards me with a pie or some cinnamon rolls as a Reward. When I'm 80-something, I hope there's a Neighbor that'll return the favor for me. Another Chore was GUbering (out here in the sticks, you can't find an Uber so you get GUber.) an elderly widow lady to the store and back. In addition, I've made sure my dad is well stocked and taken care of including taking him to a needed cardiologist appointment.

But other than wondering what the heck someone is going to do with 400 rolls of toilet paper, or why one person is wearing garbage bags as PPE, I'm not going to laugh at anyone.

I do hope that this changes the attitude of many, but the attitude of "We buy what we want and beg for what we need." really needs to end, so I'll hope that it does.

Because if anyone believes that this upheaval of our economy is going to be a temporary blip, and that nobody needs to learn to build reserves during the boom times and capacity during the bust times, then they're not learning a lesson they need to learn.
Amen brother! I am not stocked to the rafters but I'm better off than most. My wife and I are getting ready to head out and do some shopping for some older friends that don't need to be out in this.

All of this reminds me of the stories my grandmother told about ww2. The apartment building turned into its own little colony. They pooled their rations and the older women stayed home and cooked, did laundry and watched the kids while the able bodied women went to work in the factories supporting the war effort.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNHipowerluv View Post
Good on you for being prepared, but it seems a little classless to be rubbing it in everyone's faces.
Agreed.

I work with a guy who's similarly smug as the OP. He believes he's been vindicated by being a "prepper." He's also fat, has bad teeth, drinks several Cokes every day, and smokes.

I find it interesting that people like you equate being prepared with basically being shopaholics and hoarding. No one equates being "prepared" by having your teeth cleaned every 5-6 months, exercising regularly, and living a healthy lifestyle. Maybe you do all this too, but in your smug post I assume you would have gone out of your way to mention that as well.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage68 View Post
I work with a guy who's similarly smug as the OP. He believes he's been vindicated by being a "prepper." He's also fat, has bad teeth, drinks several Cokes every day, and smokes.

I find it interesting that people like you equate being prepared with basically being shopaholics and hoarding. No one equates being "prepared" by having your teeth cleaned every 5-6 months, exercising regularly, and living a healthy lifestyle. Maybe you do all this too, but in your smug post I assume you would have gone out of your way to mention that as well.
There are some good takeaways here. There's more to being prepared than just having "stuff" .. Knowing how to use that stuff is critical, as are the more subjective issues- health, fitness, lifestyle choices (good or bad), and overal mindset and attitude....

Too often, we get wrapped around "stuff", and neglecte the rest. Every so often, we have a "Civil War 2.0" thread here. Its amazing the number of people willing to go to the mat.... yet, given what one can glean from reading here over time, thw vast majority lack the basic health and fitness to be of much use. Most are older, overweight, and/or have other health problems- and they think military activity is all about shooting.
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 04-04-2020, 11:29 AM

Do you guys really crap so much that you need 100 rolls of toilet paper?
Old 04-04-2020, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootdog View Post
Do you guys really crap so much that you need 100 rolls of toilet paper?
Hey, you're talking to guys who need to keep 10,000 rounds of ammunition on hand despite the fact there's no way they could possibly carry it all in a bug-out situation.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:34 PM

I've kept a moderate supply of stores for years myself. But if a neighbor comes over in need, I'm going to help them out.

And I've got plenty of ammo on hand, but I've never wanted to live in a world where I'd actually need to use it all.

We all have to die sometime. No ones going to live in this world forever.

Trust in Jesus & an eternal life in the kingdom.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post
I've kept a moderate supply of stores for years myself. But if a neighbor comes over in need, I'm going to help them out.

And I've got plenty of ammo on hand, but I've never wanted to live in a world where I'd actually need to use it all.

Best advise ever.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 04-04-2020, 01:06 PM

if people you know where laughing at you for any reason ( unless you are a comedian by trade ) don't belong in your life
Old 04-04-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonHyphenAmerican View Post

Good neighbors, good friends and good family are a blessing and anyone trying to be the neighbor that they would like to have is a blessing to their neighbors. It sounds like you have some very blessed neighbors.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dump1567 View Post

Well Said!