Colt Single Action Army Bluing Question - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-02-2020, 04:31 PM

Colt Single Action Army Bluing Question

I just received a replacement Single Action Army because the last one I had shot about a foot left. I just received it today and after cleaning it off I noticed these spots were on the bluing. I tried using gun cleaner to remove it without any luck. Is this an imperfection to the blueing or does anyone know how to remove these spots?
Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8395.JPG   IMG_9260.JPG   IMG_9300.JPG   IMG_9312.JPG  
Old 04-02-2020, 04:37 PM
1911 Aficionado

If regular gun cleaners didn't remove it, I'd say it an imperfection in the bluing.
Call Colt.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:38 PM

Holy Crap......

Is that a new gun from Colt????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2020, 05:52 PM
1911 Aficionado

Not to be snarky, but, you didn't see that before you shot it?
I was going to say, how could Colt let that out the door, but your sure it was like that upon arrival?
Old 04-02-2020, 05:57 PM

Yes, I put a order in probably September of last year. This is my 3rd one. The first one had a giant scratch about two inches down the barrel, I did not accept delivery of that one and my FFL ordered another. The second one shot about a foot left. This is the third and the cylinder looks like this. The customer service has been great on Colts part thus far, I will say though.
Old 04-02-2020, 05:59 PM

I never said I shot it? I just said this was the replacement for the one that I returned for service.
Old 04-02-2020, 07:40 PM
1911 Aficionado

OK . . . whether you shot it or not, the discoloration was present when the cylinder arrived, as opposed to only after you cleaned it; you noticed it before cleaning?
Send it back.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:43 PM

You know the old saying, 4th time is a charm. Good grief.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:48 PM
Administrator

What gun solvent did you use to clean it? Try some WD-40 on it then wipe it off with a rag.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:52 PM

That does look like the hazing that brake cleaner / Gun Scrubber will leave until you re-oil the gun.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:05 PM

I'm more surprised that you managed to get a new SAA in the first place, rather than the fact they've sent you blemished, and faulty specimens three times in a row. I know QC is spotty with this company, but dang if you didn't roll dice wrong too many times. Normally Colt corrects it after the first trip back. They literally swapped out the entire upper halve of a rifle for me, when just the barrel looked botched. The new barrel looked botched too, but it wasn't as botched as the previous. I accepted it, because I knew that was as good as it was going to get with Colt.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:27 AM

That appears to be the dried G96 that is applied at the plant and then marked by the plastic bag.
Clean with gun oil/solvent and should come off.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:12 AM

Mine was coated with something that appeared to look like splotches on the bluing too. But after a through cleaning and application of a good gun oil it went away. It now looks pristine and what a new Colt SAA should look like before being holstered and used. Best wishes and you know Colt will fix it if you send it back.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the replies. I expected them to just turn the barrel instead of giving me a new gun. But, I have used clp and ballistol and have wore my arm out trying to scrub it off. Still there. I emailed colt and they told me to try Flitz before sending it back to be reblued. I have owned a lot of colts and realize there are small blemishes in almost every single one but this is all over the cylinder and bothers me.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:12 PM
1911 Aficionado

I had a cylinder reblued by Colt, many years ago now, and it's definitely worthwhile to examine closely.
No reason to accept substandard work.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:37 PM

Might as well try the Flitz. If you don't have any it's good stuff & you can always use it on other things.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Just be careful how hard you rub it. Contrary to what it says on the tube it WILL remove bluing from sharp edges or if you apply too much pressure. Don't ask me how I know this.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.