Do You Expect More Home Invasions? - Page 4 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-28-2020, 08:26 AM

No reason for increase in home invasion crimes where we live. But if it does happen while we're home, I haven't shot my Hi-Power for some time.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:59 PM

In addition to locking the gate at night.

I made up a new sign for it yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0078.jpg  
Old 03-28-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I suggest to add some yellow tape around...
Old 03-28-2020, 11:41 PM

"Smash and grabs" will increase in areas where there is a concentration of scum bags and lucrative opportunities. Smaller Mom and Pop's first, close to main roads.Then they'll start diversionary tactics to draw LEO's to one area and hit more lucrative areas like malls. These tactics are already documented.

Just for the record burglaries, robberies and home invasions are three different crimes committed by criminals with different levels of criminal sophistication. Each is an escalation of threat/force and danger to the victims.

"It's times like these that try men's souls"!

All the best,
Old 03-29-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy9 View Post
Do You Expect More Home Invasions?
Iíve prepared for the possibility.
Attached Thumbnails
87C00B04-872F-43BD-B4A3-A15EBAF2CC6A.jpeg  
Old 03-30-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy
Around where I live, I do not see home invasions as being a good career choice.
Around here (outside of town, South-East Phoenix basin) all (I mean ALL) of my neighbors
are not only armed, but also carry all of the time. As such, an attempted robbery could
easily be a career limiting decision.

I am noticing a perceptible increase in people that are openly carrying.

Nice not living in town.
. . . . it doesn't matter what the answer is.
~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:06 PM

I don't really expect any increase in home invasions where I live but I guess it could start to happen if this panic goes on for months. I am a bit more prepared placing a couple of more weapons in certain locations and I am always carrying unless I am in the bed or the shower.
Old 04-03-2020, 01:36 AM

I’m concerned and have taken steps to make the place a harder target.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:15 AM

I've determined the likely entry points & have devised a plan accordingly. My wife & daughter have been briefed on this.

Our new house, although 3X larger, is more defensible than our prior home. There is only one exposed flank.

Unless I let my mind drift down the "what if they have Ninja climbing skills?" rabbithole. No thanks. Keeping it real.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:22 PM

Not in my area, haven't even heard of a burglary since all this got started.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Theoretically there should be fewer home invasions, as most people are being forced to work from home during the day which means there is a huge presence of people and neighbors in each community. Burglars normally prefer to strike during the weekday when everybody is away at work, but with the current situation the chances of finding an unoccupied home with no neighbors around are a lot smaller. However if the situation continues to get worse and scumbags start getting desperate for stuff to steal more of them are going to start risking it even when people are at home. And when a burglar is willing to break into an occupied home there is a very strong likelihood that he's willing to assault whoever he finds inside.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:41 PM

The monthly American rifleman magazine.

Is generally full of home invasion instances. A number of take aways from most of them. But only two really pertinent to this thread. Most of them are instigated by individuals that are not only compromised by initial cranial capacity. But by chemical compounds as well. Additionally that these "invasions" generally do not go well for the people conducting them.

I expect property crimes to go up considerably. I heard a report today declaring a 13% unemployment rate. No doubt it will go higher. My concern in this regard is what are all of the girls that dance in the, now closed South Florida "gentlemens" clubs doing to get by.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:25 AM

Since I can't get out to the range these days, I almost would welcome a nice home invasion robbery attempt. Everyone needs practice.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:05 AM

I will bet everything I have that there will be a huge rise in theft and break-ins. "home invasion" ? Not so much. The bipeds that will be doing these crimes are a: not too bright and b: weak of mind, body and willpower. So they will be preying on easy targets. I predict these targets to be :

1 - single mothers
2 - elderly
3 - liberal/hippy/peace-love etc

in other words, unarmed or poorly armed. And, those that think everybody is equal, and always look for the 'good' in people.

"home invasion" per se, will still happen. Here's a scenario.

A couple of stoners will run out of funyuns after an allnighter smokin dope and playing xbox. They will wake up hungry the next day and head to grandma's to get some food because Grandma ALWAYS has food! Grandma has been watching the news and she's not giving up any green beans.... so the stoners will get in a struggle fight with her and end up hurting or killing her.

This will trigger a "patriot" response of some sort. And hopefully, justice will be served swiftly and justly.

To answer your question in a word, that word would be - sorta.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:32 AM

That sounds like something right out of the American rifleman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblur View Post
I will bet everything I have that there will be a huge rise in theft and break-ins. "home invasion" ? Not so much. The bipeds that will be doing these crimes are a: not too bright and b: weak of mind, body and willpower. So they will be preying on easy targets. I predict these targets to be :

1 - single mothers
2 - elderly
3 - liberal/hippy/peace-love etc

in other words, unarmed or poorly armed. And, those that think everybody is equal, and always look for the 'good' in people.

"home invasion" per se, will still happen. Here's a scenario.

A couple of stoners will run out of funyuns after an allnighter smokin dope and playing xbox. They will wake up hungry the next day and head to grandma's to get some food because Grandma ALWAYS has food! Grandma has been watching the news and she's not giving up any green beans.... so the stoners will get in a struggle fight with her and end up hurting or killing her.

This will trigger a "patriot" response of some sort. And hopefully, justice will be served swiftly and justly.

To answer your question in a word, that word would be - sorta.
Like I referred to two posts up.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:47 AM

Well, not around here, but over in Dallas and Fort Worth crime in general went up Mostly in Dallas though. I haven't seen any news about Houston though, crime could be up there. The news media is totally obsessed with the virus and hating Trump no matter what.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:55 AM

WELL Wall Street Journal report 75% increase in business burglaries since March 12th. That 75% is a big number.
Now...what was my first point in my original post??
Old 04-04-2020, 11:12 AM

So I guess that a burglary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldguy9 View Post
WELL Wall Street Journal report 75% increase in business burglaries since March 12th. That 75% is a big number.
Now...what was my first point in my original post??
Is just a home invasion when nobody is home.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
My concern in this regard is what are all of the girls that dance in the, now closed South Florida "gentlemens" clubs doing to get by.
So those and whorehouses are not deemed "essential"??? And no bars or pro sports either??? I'm starting to think this whole coronavirus thing is a plot by the world's women to force their husbands to stay home and get all those honey-dos done.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:47 AM

The incidents in American Rifleman are only those that worked out well for the defender.

So those stories do not indicate much in the way of trends.

As I said earlier, I do not foresee a HUGE spike in home invasions, just a moderate increase.

That said, here's some factors that make the current situation different than the Olden Days (January!)

The "badass gangstas" are now finding out what REAL hardship is. Because now even the relatives & girlfriends they have been leeching food/shelter off of are now jobless too.

And the lockdowns are affecting the drug trade. Less income there. And less open businesses to rob, and less cash at the one's still open. Even nice items stolen from cars have less value because not many people are shopping for Raybans, purses, & iphones right now.

They mostly want TP and food------------ Luxury items are in low demand.

Meaning, overall, the scumbag's monetary & even sustenance sources are drying up.

Eventually, something has to give. So I think residences will become targeted more. I also expect some rioting/looting in a few inner-city areas to begin at some point.

In my opinion, the bad areas of LA or the homeless camps there may be the initial epicenter of this.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Theoretically there should be fewer home invasions, as most people are being forced to work from home during the day which means there is a huge presence of people and neighbors in each community. Burglars normally prefer to strike during the weekday when everybody is away at work, but with the current situation the chances of finding an unoccupied home with no neighbors around are a lot smaller. However if the situation continues to get worse and scumbags start getting desperate for stuff to steal more of them are going to start risking it even when people are at home. And when a burglar is willing to break into an occupied home there is a very strong likelihood that he's willing to assault whoever he finds inside.
Which explains the uptick In firearms & ammo sales, for me personally I've noticed my situational awareness has gone up a few notches and has stayed there since this began.
I think people are a lot more aware If someone Is getting "too" close and watching people more closely.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:17 PM

Quote:
That looks great! If my eyes are good, looks like you might also have a game trail camera set-up. +1911

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself
Old 04-04-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facilitator View Post
My concern is with shopping center parking lots.

A lot of places to hide or walk around acting inconspicous for those wishing to rob or do worse.

They'll prey on those folks not being alert while packing groceries in their cars.
Already happened in Flagstaff. A man and two women attempt to wrest a bag of flour from an elderly man my DIL was assisting. Store personnel intervened. The three miscreants grabbed sacks of groceries from carts in the parking lot. And this was 10 days ago.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
I answered my door with gun in hand.

She just dropped her Thin Mints & ran away.

I've always been a little paranoid but I don't answer the door with a gun in my hand. I have 2 Pitbulls that usually beat me to the door when someone knocks or rings and they're pretty noisy about it. If a bad guy is still there when I answer the dogs will keep them occupied until I can get my gun (which is always close). Home invasions do occur around here but they're fairly rare. Very few liberals where I live so criminals are not a protected species. Plus all the gun ranges are open so nobody's getting rusty.
Old 04-04-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Well, not around here, but over in Dallas and Fort Worth crime in general went up Mostly in Dallas though. I haven't seen any news about Houston though, crime could be up there. The news media is totally obsessed with the virus and hating Trump no matter what.
Havenít heard of any uptick in crime down here in Houston. If anything itís gone down a bit. Police chief cane out and said domestic violence is up a bit due to people being forced to stay home with family.