1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-30-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Grey Hare View Post
Why.. oh why... doesn't the AF train us in rifle.. ugh.
Navy didn't either. At least when I was in. In boot camp we did half a day of pistol training with .22 1911s and if you were good enough you could try the .45. If you handled that well enough you could try for your Navy Pistol Expert medal.

But no rifles.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:16 AM

I am deemed essential so I don't have any extra time. I may be a tad bit jealous of you guys with all this free time.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
I predict in 9 months there will be a baby boom and a lot of kids named corona.
I prefer DosEquis.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:17 AM

Allot of Doing Nothing is my Goal

Since I maintain a semi-quarantine lifestyle, I already have all my firearms maintenance up to date, ditto for my records organization and ammo inventory. However, I have a few guns that I havenít shot in awhile, so Iím going to prioritize a ďshoot-emĒ list.

I have a short punch out list for a few things around the house, along with some vehicle maintenance. But, I was able to replace the 16 year old hurricane straps on my shed, because one of them snapped and the other was on the verge. But, this time I used some thimbles to prevent the cables from chafing on the underside of the cable anchor eye-bolts. I should get another 16+ years out of these cables.

At the beginning of the year, I declared 2020 as the year of Living on the Edge. The decision had nothing to do with our Nationís current crisis, but rather that as spare cash became available, Iíd focus on buying things with an edge. So, to pass some time in the evening, weíll queue up a movie marathon that has a blade-play theme.

Ok, donít laugh, as I said already, Iím self quarantined most of the time, so I have plenty of time on my hands. After years in the workforce, Iím enjoying occasional part-time employment, with a heavy dose of doing nothing. Allot of times I sit around doing nothing, but thatís exactly what I want to do. In fact, thereís still a whole lot of nothing I want to accomplish. I havenít establish an actual quota for the amount of nothing that I hope to execute, but doing nothing is very high on my priority list. Actually, as soon as I post this, Iím going to do an absolute butt-ton more of nothing for the remainder of the day.
Attached Thumbnails
CB9AC748-1D40-4C36-A07E-9A9B710F9A9F.jpeg   AD40AB4A-AFA0-4136-9E2C-923CD1E9E8FF.jpeg   8CEF43B0-168E-43C8-94D4-87C0A6A69541.jpeg  
Old 03-30-2020, 01:37 PM

My wife duped me. Asked me to take her to the grocery store, I got dressed and then she said she didnít want to go until tomorrow.

But, since I was already dressed, I decided to break quarantine and head a few miles up the road to the local gun shop. I returned with this little guy. Let that be a lesson to my wife, that thereís a price to pay for interrupting me from doing nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
D7BD2A51-79DB-4FC2-A962-9E7956A6E3D4.jpeg  
Old 03-30-2020, 04:00 PM

I cleaned and lubed everything in the range bag yesterday, fortunate to have a friend with acreage to keep this group from getting lazy:-)
Attached Thumbnails
social.separation.sunday.JPG  
Old 03-31-2020, 12:42 PM

Yesterday I completed a chore I have been putting off for SEVERAL years.

I had several years worth of scrounged lead taking up a space in my shed. Everything from two buckets of wheel weights to a hundred pounds of pistol bullets scrounged from the backstop at my gun club. As well as some pure lead roof flashing and bathroom vent pipes.

Set up my 100# plumbers pot and started melting. Happily didn't run out of propane and 6 hours later had ALL of it in 2# ingots.

Ended up with at least 200 pounds of wheel weights. A hundred pounds of pure led from the roof scraps. THAT was the time killer. Removing nails, tar, etc. But I can always use PURE, especially for free.

NOW the next project is to start CASTING again.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
My wife duped me. Asked me to take her to the grocery store, I got dressed and then she said she didnít want to go until tomorrow.

But, since I was already dressed, I decided to break quarantine and head a few miles up the road to the local gun shop. I returned with this little guy. Let that be a lesson to my wife, that thereís a price to pay for interrupting me from doing nothing.
Serves her right!
Old 03-31-2020, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Since I'm stuck working from home, I just realized if a pickup truck full of Mexican drug cartel hitmen suddenly burst in while I was busy tapping away at the keyboard with my ass pointed at the door I'd be a goner. I then remembered I bought one of those gun magnet thingies years ago, and this morning I finally affixed it to the underside of my PC desk so I can have a high-cap 9mm at the ready to John Wick my way out of the situation.

While my co-workers were busy e-mailing back and forth about purchase orders and delivery dates and such, they had no idea what I was actually doing.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 03-31-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I then remembered I bought one of those gun magnet thingies years ago, and this morning I finally affixed it to the underside of my PC desk so I can have a high-cap 9mm at the ready to John Wick my way out of the situation.
Itís wise to have a firearm nearby, especially in rooms that you spend allot of time in. Iíve been teleworking out of my home office for years and use a gun magnet to keep my 1911 at the ready.
Attached Thumbnails
D441F34E-59AB-42CD-B2F1-424CA173646D.jpeg  
Old 03-31-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
Been practicing Social Distancing but the wife keeps trying to get back into the house.
too funny!
Old 03-31-2020, 06:29 PM

I bought a magnet to help secure a shotgun just inside the door of our travel trailer.
I am reluctant to drill a hole in the new trailer though.
Old 04-01-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FN in MT View Post
Yesterday I completed a chore I have been putting off for SEVERAL years.

I had several years worth of scrounged lead taking up a space in my shed. Everything from two buckets of wheel weights to a hundred pounds of pistol bullets scrounged from the backstop at my gun club. As well as some pure lead roof flashing and bathroom vent pipes.

Set up my 100# plumbers pot and started melting. Happily didn't run out of propane and 6 hours later had ALL of it in 2# ingots.

Ended up with at least 200 pounds of wheel weights. A hundred pounds of pure led from the roof scraps. THAT was the time killer. Removing nails, tar, etc. But I can always use PURE, especially for free.

NOW the next project is to start CASTING again.
Now that's time well spent!
Old 04-01-2020, 05:40 PM

Pellet rifle

Shooting pellet rifles and pistols in the basement or garage keeps one's eye sharp. I bet most of us home owners can set up a "range" of 15 - 20 yards. Many municipalities don't allow them to be fired within city limits, but in your own yard, with a solid backstop, and such little noise, no one will know. Our police here have more important things to do here during the pandemic.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:48 PM

Im on my 3rd day of quarantine. So far I have

Loaded 2500 rounds of 230 gr hardball

Tumbled all my .45-70 brass

Sharpened my knife

Applied for unemployment

Set up an indoor 10m range for a FWB65 olympic grade air pistol.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:03 PM

I cleaned everything (4 pistols & 2 rifles) after my last range session with my son about 3 weeks ago. Reloaded all the 45-70 and .45ACP. I'm ready to go. Oh, and I bought a new CCW holster for my 1911. Sweet. In the meantime I dragged out my guitar and set about toughening up my finger tips with some Beatles licks.
Old 04-01-2020, 06:09 PM

Slacking

I feel like a slacker. I only did #1, 3, and 6, but I did clean and tune-up my woodworking machines and put a big 4K HDTV and new dart board up in the garage.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 04-01-2020, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimgcampbell View Post
Shooting pellet rifles and pistols in the basement or garage keeps one's eye sharp. I bet most of us home owners can set up a "range" of 15 - 20 yards. Many municipalities don't allow them to be fired within city limits, but in your own yard, with a solid backstop, and such little noise, no one will know. Our police here have more important things to do here during the pandemic.
When indoors Airsoft is the best option, as there is little worry about poking holes in something expensive. The wife might not appreciate an errant steel BB taking out a glass lamp or embedding itself in a door. If firing a BB gun in close quarters outdoors a good backstop can be made by filling a garbage can or cardboard box with dirt and firing into it. Of course once again the wife might not like finding rusty steel BBs in her stash of potting soil either.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-02-2020, 12:15 AM

My cheap airsoft 1911 is far from accurate. I should get a better one but don't know anything about them.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:00 AM

Appreciate the great suggestions. I teach at a community college and I have to offer all of my classes online this term. Some subjects are not conducive to being online and I don’t like online classes anyway. But I’m thankful for a job and a paycheck. Maybe when I finish setting up all these classes, I’ll have time to start on your list - since I’m home anyway.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MAYHEM* View Post
Navy didn't either. At least when I was in. In boot camp we did half a day of pistol training with .22 1911s and if you were good enough you could try the .45. If you handled that well enough you could try for your Navy Pistol Expert medal.

But no rifles.
You and Old Grey Hare must have gone in of late. Dad went in the Navy in 1946 and was trained ( not much as he already was a hunter ) on the 1911 and M1903A3. He carried either one while on Guam in 1953 when going to the antenna field as there were still Japanese soldiers that shot at US Navy people. In 1964 he took the USAF Hand, Shoulder and Base Defense course and did the live firing at the local AFB. He never said whether he test fired the two M2 MGs that his ship carried for defense in late 64 and 65. Even though he was qualified on them. He was qualified by the Navy for 25 years on the 1911 and always with one in .45ACP. He never said anything about the Pistol Expert shooting. But then he also tried to not wear his ribbons if he could avoid them.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:22 AM

Not a whole lot of change for me.
Retired and wife still works, considered essential.

I've been on a Sporting Clays thing for a bit lately, so loaded up a bunch of shotshells the last few days.

All guns stay clean, all the time.

I have my own range a few miles away. It has 20-some different steel targets, so it's super convenient to go there and shoot whatever I choose.

Live on a small coastal island, so will probably go fishing when weather improves.

Wishing all here a good, safe several weeks ahead.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:10 AM

Classed mission critical here (funny, i dont FEEL critical) so still working 2hrs from home everyday. Thankful to have plenty of work.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
I predict in 9 months there will be a baby boom and a lot of kids named corona.
Call them the COVID Kids!

We're retired so not much has changed except we can't go to the swinger's club...

Working on projects around the house. I have a 12x16 plywood deck outside my shop that is getting new flooring. Maintenance on the cars that has been put off for too long. Mow and clean out the flower beds. and the list goes on and on and on and....

Good news. Sam's Club opens at 7 AM on Tuesday and Thursday for seniors and disabled. Got there at 7:05 , got in the door and 7:45 and scored bleach, paper towels and TOILET PAPER! (Charmin even) By 8:30 the TP pallets were empty.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoColt View Post
You and Old Grey Hare must have gone in of late.
1989 is when I went in.

I never did take any of the "advanced" stuff like Pararescue or Jungle Survival. I was enlisted, first mechanic and then meteorologist.

THe last rifle I shot was an A2 made by FN and I just scratched my head and went "Whisky Tango Foxtrot happened to Colt?!"

I looked up what they teach today for rifle, and it' still the same as when I was in.. 25 yards, longer distences simulated by smaller targets.. and you shoot in group of 4-round mags.

They didn't teach us how to bivouac, either.. and the last time I went camping was 1982.

I'm currently in the planning stages of putting togehter a camping kit that'll fit in my car along with my shootin' irons and food for them... because... fellas.. I think it's gonna get really, really ugly. Bivouac may be a fact of life soon. Live off the land, somwehre up a river.

Not a pleasant task. I can't remember if I can even pitch a tent by myself.
-----------------^--------------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry