Fun --- Huge 1949 Gun Movie Poster - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-30-2020, 03:15 PM

Fun --- Huge 1949 Gun Movie Poster

This is a real movie poster from 1949 that I picked up off the local Craigslist for only $30. Admittedly with some condition issues.

I love the prominently-featured Snubbie, the 1940's clothing, & the general cheesy Pot-Boiler vibe. It's now on my office wall.

The revolver is clearly a Pre-Model 10, rendered pretty accurately for film promo art.

I leaned a .30-06 FN 49 against it for a size reference. That's not a small rifle!

The poster is big; 79" tall and 41" wide.

I thought you cats might dig it.
Attached Thumbnails
CROOKED WAY.jpg  
Old 03-30-2020, 03:28 PM

'The Crooked Way' ......... apt title for any number of 'auto-biographies' from our friends on the left side of the aisle!!!!!!

Cool poster!!!
Old 03-30-2020, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Hunted by killers... wanted by the law... hated by the girl he loves... sounds like someone was having a really bad day. And he probably solved it without ten spectacular car crashes and a body count in the hundreds, unlike most modern movies.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2020, 03:44 PM

Nice.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:52 PM

Awesome pix... thanks for the share!

I just IMDB'd the screenplay writer, Richard H. Landau. Wow, that gentleman had his hands in a lot of works that shaped our past landscape.

Take a look, it's a pretty good ride.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0484479/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr2

I'm sure you'll recognize many favorites. The Rat Patrol, Wild Wild West, Gunsmoke, the list goes on...

Plus a few trashy items like the one you found

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050495...=nm_flmg_wr_51

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050439...=nm_flmg_wr_52

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049334...=nm_flmg_wr_57

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045533...=nm_flmg_wr_72

My YouTube finder list just got a but longer... thanks
Old 03-30-2020, 04:18 PM

Very cool! I'd display that proudly.........

I am a fan of the revolver for carry, even in these modern times.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:31 PM

Thanks, Blue Glow ---------- I actually watched the full movie on Youtube after I got the poster.

It's shot in the classic Black & White Film Noir style. Very dark. With some exaggerated angles and the use of shadow for dramatic effect.

The protagonist (wearing a fedora in the upper left corner of the poster) has lost his memory from WW2 shrapnel brain damage.

He goes to LA, his area of enlistment, to find out who he is. Of course he finds that he was a bad dude & a rat too. Drama & gunplay ensues. It's no Citizen Kane but it's a pretty decent flick.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:39 PM

MM, that's a seriously cool poster. So many posters in the 1940s and 1950s were cooler than the films in many situations, especially the B-movie sci-fi flicks.

I'll watch the movie tonight.

Last edited by borderboss1; 03-30-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 06:08 PM

Right on, Borderboss. Btw, at great personal risk I will disclose what is printed at the bottom of the poster:

" Property of national screen service corp. Licensed for display only in connection with the exhibition of this picture at your theater. Must be returned immediately thereafter "

So..................... I'm clearly in big trouble with the Drama Police. I expect a Vanagon load of Skinny Jean Film Nerds to kick my door within minutes.

"give us the poster or we will rate you Two Thumbs Down!"
Old 03-30-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazineman View Post
Right on, Borderboss. Btw, at great personal risk I will disclose what is printed at the bottom of the poster:

" Property of national screen service corp. Licensed for display only in connection with the exhibition of this picture at your theater. Must be returned immediately thereafter "

So..................... I'm clearly in big trouble with the Drama Police. I expect a Vanagon load of Skinny Jean Film Nerds to kick my door within minutes.

"give us the poster or we will rate you Two Thumbs Down!"

Think of where the movie poster collecting hobby would be if all the theaters abided by that. There's some big $$$ in some of those posters. A friend of mine is in that business. The obscure movies with posters using great motifs and colors are pretty valuable.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:15 PM

I like the checkered diamond center grips but the "horn" is wrong. That's OK, cool poster!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
This is a real movie poster from 1949 that I picked up off the local Craigslist for only $30. Admittedly with some condition issues.

I love the prominently-featured Snubbie, the 1940's clothing, & the general cheesy Pot-Boiler vibe. It's now on my office wall.

The revolver is clearly a Pre-Model 10, rendered pretty accurately for film promo art.

I leaned a .30-06 FN 49 against it for a size reference. That's not a small rifle!

The poster is big; 79" tall and 41" wide.

I thought you cats might dig it.
We dig it the most, daddy-o! We're hep to that vibe. It's the ginchiest!!!
Old 03-30-2020, 09:21 PM

Sammy's in da house.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:40 AM

You’ll be arrested for gun related propaganda!
They will also put that 06 on the “list” thinking it’s a BAR.
There are helicopters in the distance...
Old 03-31-2020, 12:46 PM

Very nice rifle, I like the poster too.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:54 PM

Speaking of helicopters, specifically the Conspiracy Theorist's "Black Helicopters" of tinfoil hatter's legend:

THEY EXIST. Or at least one does. My kid & I have been doing drive-abouts. It's the car version of a Walkabout. Just as a way to get outta the house for awhile, without interaction with other people.

Last week we went to La Jolla (the fanciest part of town) & drove up to the top of Mt Soledad to see the awesome ocean views. There's a large concrete cross up there that has been a point of controversy + a small park / war memorial.

The park area was barricaded and secured by yellow-jacketed dudes. Plus unmarked SUV's.

Behind this whole staffed perimeter was------------ A GIANT FLAT-BLACK HELICOPTER.

I have no idea what that was about or who these guys were.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:

The park area was barricaded and secured by yellow-jacketed dudes. Plus unmarked SUV's.

Behind this whole staffed perimeter was------------ A GIANT FLAT-BLACK HELICOPTER.

I have no idea what that was about or who these guys were.
You didn't hear it from me, but they are part of Task Force GAMMA - FEMA Spec-Ops. They are scouting for areas that can easily accommodate the virus internment camps that the Corps of Engineers are building - parks! This was clandestinely funded by the COVID Stimulus Act under the 'Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts' line item. People were upset that funding was earmarked for the 'arts', but, in this case, 'arts' means: 'virus internment camps'. Remember, you didn't hear it from me.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havanajim View Post
You didn't hear it from me, but they are part of Task Force GAMMA - FEMA Spec-Ops. They are scouting for areas that can easily accommodate the virus internment camps that the Corps of Engineers are building - parks! This was clandestinely funded by the COVID Stimulus Act under the 'Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts' line item. People were upset that funding was earmarked for the 'arts', but, in this case, 'arts' means: 'virus internment camps'. Remember, you didn't hear it from me.
Nancy really had to take one for the team to get that in the bill.
Old 03-31-2020, 02:29 PM

I took a pic. Maybe THIS could be a movie poster.
Attached Thumbnails
ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc.png  
Old 03-31-2020, 02:33 PM

If I get stuck in a field hospital, I want it to be THIS one. It's on the most valuable couple acres in the County. You can see 40 miles up the coastline from there & south into Mexico.

It is BEYOND Prime Location. The opulence of the surrounding homes is impressive to say the least. Ain't no broke folks livin' up there.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I took a pic. Maybe THIS could be a movie poster.
Did the pilots happen look like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	MV5BNTQwNzZhZDUtYjdjMi00NThlLWJiOGItNjgyZDQ0NDMxZWNiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODg0OTM4NTc@._V1_.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	578894

Old 03-31-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
If I get stuck in a field hospital, I want it to be THIS one. It's on the most valuable couple acres in the County. You can see 40 miles up the coastline from there & south into Mexico.

It is BEYOND Prime Location. The opulence of the surrounding homes is impressive to say the least. Ain't no broke folks livin' up there.
Good choice of location....they don't have to worry about anyone trying to break through the barricades or start bonfires in the street. Slightly more civilized than South L.A. right??
Old 03-31-2020, 08:10 PM

Good field of fire, for sure. You could shoot for miles from up there. Also, there is, oddly, a fire station about a block away. Tucked in among multi-million dollar homes with a view to freakin' Jupiter.

I think all those cats have to do all day is clean the truck & play shirtless volleyball in Slo Motion.

Dang, what's a guy gotta do to get assigned to THAT station? If I joined they would put me in The 'Hood to work the Graveyard shift. Giving CPR to crackheads.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:12 PM

La Jolla FD. There's a movie poster for ya. Or at least a Spelling Productions TV show.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
La Jolla FD. There's a movie poster for ya. Or at least a Spelling Productions TV show.
Tori needs the work, right?

Very cool film noir poster you found.

NRA Life Member
RSO