Walther-Fans: What a difference a Slide Makes! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-25-2020, 10:00 AM

Walther-Fans: What a difference a Slide Makes!

Finally got my Q5-Match slide upgrade for my 4" PPQ-M2-9mm...One before and 2 after photos attached...Although the carry version is a fine gun, awesome trigger, very little recoil, I just don't get wowed by looking at it or shooting it...With the Q5-Match slide though it is an entirely different animal. Looks "Nasty" and I just want to shoot the heck out of it...5 vs 4" (more weight up front, and longer sight radius), much, much, better sights (w-adjustable rear), optics ready if I ever want to, 1" groups at 25Y rested, this is going to be a fun-toy.

Another "treat" for Walther fans ;-)...Walther PPQ M2 5" (not the Q5 so it still has carry sights) beats 6 other "Duty"-Model 9mm's with a 98 score in March/April Combat Handgun's. Next best score was 95, lowest score was 80 in this order:

S&W M&P M2, Sig P320 Full-size, H&K P30, Glock 17 G2, FN 509...

And of coarse all Walther fans know by now the Q5 has won Championships on the PRO-circuit.

Just a little fun to fight the Virus today....

I'll give an update when I shoot my Q5, but that will be a while for obvious reasons. She is going to be some shooter.

Walther, Best Kept Secrete ;-) in the Gun industry at a great price.

C.A.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0636.JPG   IMG_0821.JPG   IMG_0822.JPG  
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 03-25-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 05:09 PM

This is as far as I got down the Walther's road. Admittedly the SF would be ok if it just had a decent trigger. The other, just like any other plastic gun, no matter how much tape you put on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Q5s.jpg  
Old 03-26-2020, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
This is as far as I got down the Walther's road. Admittedly the SF would be ok if it just had a decent trigger. The other, just like any other plastic gun, no matter how much tape you put on it.
The trigger on my PPQ now a Q5 is excellent. We can't expect it to be "as good" as a custom 1911 tuned trigger exactly, but it is extremely excellent nevertheless. Keep in mind, like me, perhaps you mostly shoot 1911's. So I'll hypothesis that if all you or I had was a Q5, we would optimize the "goodness" in these triggers even more.

That said, I do remember from the thread I started when considering the Q5 upgrade, there seem to be a bit of variation btwn the triggers of various owners. Perhaps that is coming into play...But mine is really excellent, and the one on my PPQ-45 is even better.

I like that SF Q5 of yours, I wish they would come out with a SF 45...In particular though, are you seeing a material difference in the SF trigger gun vs the "plastic" trigger gun?
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 06:37 AM

I’ve been eyeballing the Q5 SF......what’s this about not having a good trigger markm? Same as the polymer frame isn’t it?
If not, that would just be stupid.....
I may have to drive to Fort Smith and straighten them out!
Old 03-26-2020, 08:49 AM

Walther handguns have always been under-rated. Most people think all they ever made was the PPK and the P.38.

Their biggest hurdle to greater popularity was always their price.

Quality is expensive.

I've owned Walther handguns (most of what they made) for over 35 years. Not a bum in the lot. Until recently I carried a P5 daily. I've owned four of them with a fifth yet on the horizon. Three P88's, and handful of PP's and German PPK's, two PP Supers, a German TPH in 6.35mm made in 1983, and over a dozen war-time P.38's.

They are excellent handguns. Every one of them.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro.45 View Post
I’ve been eyeballing the Q5 SF......what’s this about not having a good trigger markm? Same as the polymer frame isn’t it?
Well the triggers are different between the SF and the polymer otherwise I might try an Apex trigger. I'm just waiting for Walther to release their new trigger in the US. My nephew put an Apex in his polymer Q5 and it's very nice, a bit light but nice but they say it doesn't work in the SF.
But I guess what combat auto said may be true, it's what you are use to. A couple of matches ago I saw one of our masters shooting a SF and asked him about the trigger. He said that there was a lot of people were having problems with them but his was great, then he asked me if I wanted to try it. It was the same as my Q5 triggers, kind of spongy and creepy, and not a clean creep.
I think the main problem with them is the trigger bar interface to the FP block because if you take the block out it's a lot better.
But otherwise I really like the SF, it's feels/fits good and shoots good.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combat auto View Post
Another "treat" for Walther fans ;-)...Walther PPQ M2 5" (not the Q5 so it still has carry sights) beats 6 other "Duty"-Model 9mm's with a 98 score in March/April Combat Handgun's.
That's good to know! I purchased my PPQ M2 5-incher for USPSA Production Division shooting. The pistol shoots great!! I still suck.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
That's good to know! I purchased my PPQ M2 5-incher for USPSA Production Division shooting. The pistol shoots great!! I still suck.
Keep at it, you will get there...

Here is our Friend Hick with the Q5-Match, note he had a lot of misses at the beginning, then as he got use to the gun, he shot it with aplomb. (He still talks more than he shoots though :-)).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIWzAOiQBFs
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 03-27-2020, 06:58 AM

I don’t own one, but a couple of my friends do. I have always been impressed with them. As mentioned before, this Walther thing is underrated!
I’ll continue to watch for the SF and a new trigger. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:44 PM

Blue Trigger

I had a hard time picking a plastic 9mm. I had an opportunity to shoot a fellows Q5 and I liked it. A week later I ran across a used one in a pawn shop. I figuared it was a sign from above, so I took it home.

I installed the largest “grip adapter thingy”, and for me, it seemed kinda 1911ish in point of aim... I didn’t really like the length of the grip so it was welcomed when I added the magwell. After that, I shoot it pretty well. I make fast hits. Glad I bought it. Hope you like yours.

I personally like the weight of the plastic. I don’t think I would want a SF, not for a day in the holster.

Btw, my blue trigger is the nicest striker I have ever shot.
Attached Thumbnails
02DC52AB-1ED2-4829-90B7-90B961D013EB.jpeg  

Last edited by HarryO45; 03-27-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:57 AM

Holster pics

Finally got my holster for my Q5-Match. Straight off the Walther sight. I would never have thought I'd spend $100 for a piece of plastic ;-)...But it is a perfect fit, has a quick release belt attachment, and the holster is fast as heck, but only for dry-fire for the next few months :-).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0823.JPG   IMG_0824.JPG   IMG_0825.JPG  
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 04-04-2020, 01:56 PM

The grip shape on those gats, looks like they’d be very comfortable. I don’t have any Wathers, but I dig the upgraded slide.

While the radiant blue on camo mags isn’t something that I’d ever be able to conceptualize without seeing a picture of it, I’m sure that Combat Auto has a half of dozen of them on order after seeing that pic.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1911 View Post
The grip shape on those gats, looks like they’d be very comfortable. I don’t have any Wathers, but I dig the upgraded slide.

While the radiant blue on camo mags isn’t something that I’d ever be able to conceptualize without seeing a picture of it, I’m sure that Combat Auto has a half of dozen of them on order after seeing that pic.
You should shoot one, they point as well as any 1911...

I'm trying to get the ribbing part as I can use a good laugh...What do you mean by radiant blue/camo mags? Mine are black...BTW, Walther likely makes the best mags in the poly-space, remember WC's X9 is a derivative of the Walther PPQ-9 mags. And you know Bill, he sources the best for his products.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 04-05-2020, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Only to be used at night around lakes?
Old 04-05-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to get the ribbing part as I can use a good laugh...What do you mean by radiant blue/camo mags? Mine are black...
I was referencing Harry’s pic in post #10.

Actually, I would like to shoot one of those with a slide like yours on it, especially if their triggers are nice. I’m ok with clean breaking heavy triggers, like on revolvers, but I can’t shoot long travel triggers for crap, especially if they’re heavy on top of that. I need more practice with the plastic guns.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I was referencing Harry’s pic in post #10.

Actually, I would like to shoot one of those with a slide like yours on it, especially if their triggers are nice. I’m ok with clean breaking heavy triggers, like on revolvers, but I can’t shoot long travel triggers for crap, especially if they’re heavy on top of that. I need more practice with the plastic guns.
LOL, I see..

You would like the PPQ's, the triggers are light. It is hard to get a good measurement with a gauge on the striker triggers, but my 9mm PPQ feels in the vicinity of no more than 3.5#'s and my 45 PPQ, even lighter than that like no more than a 3.25# trigger...They do have a bit of a take up vs 1911 (no safety on the PPQs other then that "thing" on the trigger). But a very nice quick reset so it is only the first shot which takes some getting use to (and you do get use to it). And the break is real nice and smooth, nothing which will disturb the sights (zero amount of that spongy feel you get on some striker fired triggers).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 04-05-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:
You would like the PPQ's, the triggers are light. It is hard to get a good measurement with a gauge on the striker triggers, but my 9mm PPQ feels in the vicinity of no more than 3.5#'s and my 45 PPQ, even lighter than that like no more than a 3.25# trigger...They do have a bit of a take up vs 1911 (no safety on the PPQs other then that "thing" on the trigger). But a very nice quick reset so it is only the first shot which takes some getting use to (and you do get use to it). And the break is real nice and smooth, nothing which will disturb the sights (zero amount of that spongy feel you get on some striker fired triggers).
Appreciate the info J. I’ve never even held a Wather pistol before, but next time I go to my LGS, I’m going to finger one of those and dry fire it.
Old 04-06-2020, 05:06 AM

LOVE my PPQ FE. Its one of only two polymer pistols I own. If I was ever forced to liquidate my collection, this would be one of the last guns to be let go. Apparently, out of the 1000 dedicated for US sales, only about 350 made it to our shores.

But I did not realize Walther came out with a steel-framed PPQ. *wiping off drool* I was saving for a CZ 75 TSO for a range toy...but the Q5 SF looks f-ing SWEET...and they are very comparable in price to the TSO.

For those that have shot both, which did you prefer??
Old 04-06-2020, 06:34 AM

I know it!
The trigger thing is buggin me though. Not sure if they are going to switch it to the same as the poly models. I suppose a guy could swap it out, but you shouldn’t have to!
Old 04-06-2020, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Without a doubt the SF, it's like a different gun, besides the weight which is substantial it just doesn't have that plastic feel.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Medic View Post
Without a doubt the SF, it's like a different gun, besides the weight which is substantial it just doesn't have that plastic feel.
So its significantly lighter than the CZ TSO?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:40 AM

Nice CA. I put the long slide kit on my HK VP9 last year as soon as it came out. Completely, plug and PLAY..
It probably has at least 1k + rounds thru it without any issues.
I shot my stock VP 9 pretty decent and with probably 5-6k rnds thru mine the trigger is incredible. (Maybe as good or better than the ppk...). If I can now hit a 6 inch plate at 75 yards consistently, it was a worthwhile upgrade..). Your ppk looks very similar. I think youre going to be happy with it. Range report...
Attached Thumbnails
A92412AD-68F2-48DA-94CA-DE22A2C2CBA7.jpeg   D61E8962-EFB4-4AEF-9F76-CA7F86B7D8F5.jpeg   8879E999-66AB-40B1-94C6-B00C56503FC1.jpeg   ECC552D6-5B4E-45F2-A3F4-80B7E5E9BA98.jpeg  
Old 04-07-2020, 07:14 AM

Nice guns Flight and Plant! It is amazing how much performance one can get from plastic fantastic these days.

Plant, both brands are consistently rated in the top two of the plastic fantastic world, we can have a gentleman's disagreement on which is best ;-).
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper
Old 05-09-2020, 07:09 AM

Is the Q5 Tired of Winning?

Walther Fan Boys, I know this is getting repetitive , but we have another one in the bag...This time "Ballistics" magazine, Walther Q5 Match SF beats out 7 other guns head-to-head. The other 7 below the Q5 were in this order: CZ Shadow, Canik TP9 ECE, Zev O.Z-9, S.A. XDM OSP, Taurus G3, Sig P320 X5 Legion, Beretta 92X.

I was not surprised it beat the others, but was pleasantly surprised to see it beat the CZ given the cz reputation, albeit only by a hair (41.33 vs 41.18). And the Q5-M-SF is a good bit less expensive too.

Is winning a Gun-rag shootout very remarkable, nah, but winning them over and over again does say something, especially given how little Walther advertises in the gun rags vs the major manufacturers.

Am I a W-Fan Boy? Yep! Not much to being a fan boy of a custom 1911 manufacturer building a great gun at the $5,000 price point as it is not that remarkable (or at least it shouldn't be @$5,000 - LOL!). But when you can build a consistent champion at the Q5 price points (whether poly or steel-frame, user's choice) which perform with or better then the best guns in the industry, this is Quite Remarkable!

Are we tired of winning yet?

Just having a little morning fun Folks.
Ekeibolon - Jeff Cooper

Last edited by combat auto; 05-09-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:18 AM

My Q5 won my bullseye league in my hands three years in a row before I was dethroned by a Volquartsen. But I have shot a 490/500 with that gun. And yes....we allow CF and RF to go head to head.

I freaking love this gun. I don’t shoot it so much anymore....just moved on....but this thread reminds me that I need to get it back out again.

I really should put a better barrel in it....just because 😉

It currently has an APEX on it.
Attached Thumbnails
739DD774-6F72-4FE5-A550-DFA4BAB93717_1589026594075.jpeg