Just to clarify the Springfield Warranty on used guns...there isnt one - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-09-2020, 08:42 AM

Just to clarify the Springfield Warranty on used guns...there isnt one

I've read on quite a few forums people saying that Springfield will warranty the guns regardless of whether you're the first owner. Their website clearly states this is not the case, but people said they would honor the warranty anyway. Well I stupidly purchased a used TRP and, what a surprise, it has issues. I got online and registered the warranty and gave Springfield a call. I spoke with Vicki, who said they would look at it...all at my cost. The warranty only covers the original owner. I just wanted to get this out there so others don't fall for the "Springfield stands behind their product no matter what" bs. Maybe some people got lucky and they got their used guns fixed under warranty, but don't count on it.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:14 AM

What are the issues? There's many very knowledgeable people on this forum who may be able to help you resolve (especially with the 1911 firearms) w/o having to pay Springfield.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:28 AM

Has it been Bubba 'smithed. Honestly that is only reason I have ever seen on here that they did nt warranty a used gun
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl View Post
Has it been Bubba 'smithed. Honestly that is only reason I have ever seen on here that they did nt warranty a used gun
I dont think so; but I dont have any way to tell...and neither did they. They just flat out said they only honor warranty for the first owner. I had also sent an email to them, and someone named Dante replied and told me to "keep shooting, it needs a 500 round break in".
Old 03-09-2020, 12:03 PM

Unless the previous owner registered it on their site how do they know you’re not the original owner?
COTEP#782
Old 03-09-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Unless the previous owner registered it on their site how do they know youíre not the original owner?
Because they asked me and I was stupid enough to be honest. I'd read on so many forums that it didnt matter with Springfield that I thought I could be honest. But she just very politely said no. Lesson learned...always lie!
Old 03-09-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert8404 View Post
Because they asked me and I was stupid enough to be honest. I'd read on so many forums that it didnt matter with Springfield that I thought I could be honest. But she just very politely said no. Lesson learned...always lie!
Nah. Itís always good to be honest. Even if it costs you.
COTEP#782
Old 03-09-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
Nah. Itís always good to be honest. Even if it costs you.
It may always be good to be honest, but it's not always "smart" to be honest......
Old 03-09-2020, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
It may always be good to be honest, but it's not always "smart" to be honest......
Very well said
Old 03-09-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRSOtto View Post
They asked him and he answered honestly.
Let your conscience be your guide.
COTEP#782
Old 03-09-2020, 06:33 PM

^^^ This.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:48 PM

What issue are you having with the TRP that requires repair? Nevermind, I just saw your other post.

Last edited by 2lflat4; 03-09-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:28 PM

Even if you had said you were the original owner they probably would have asked for the receipt. Who knows... You'll get it figured out.

Don't feel too bad- I was on a snubby kick for awhile and bought off GB what I thought was a cheap Colt Official Police that had been chopped down to 2". I was stoked because I would have only bought a nicer one and had the barrel shortened anyway so I thought I was ahead on the deal. Well, one chamber doesn't fire in double action and it's been to THE Colt revolver guru that everyone recommends...TWICE and he never test fired it, and it's still just as broken. I'm in it over $600 now and I never want to see it again. I could have had a nice S&W Model 10 Snubby for that. Live and learn.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:23 AM

I recently bought a Pro LR that was having “failures to return to battery”. I emailed Springfield and they took care of all costs including shipping. In all honesty, they never asked and I never mentioned that I was not the first owner. I haven’t had time to shoot the gun since it came back but it cycles a little smoother I suppose. We’ll see after my range trip.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:49 AM

Hello from Springfield Armory

That is not the case and I encourage you to call Lisa at extension 8973. She will help you out.

-Stephanie B.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:23 PM

Call again

Buy your Kimbers tune 'em up if needed.... quit reading all the bull****...
Old 03-10-2020, 06:36 PM

Fundamentally Springfield hasn't changed their policy, it sounds like they're enforcing it. Better to do that than lose money. You did the right thing, so did Springfield. Everyone wins.
Distinguished Pistol #388
Old 03-10-2020, 08:15 PM

Update: I spoke with a different person at Springfield, who shall remain nameless so I dont get him in trouble. We talked extensively about what problem I thought I had. Turns out there was nothing wrong...which should have been obvious because I ran 150 rounds through the gun and it was perfect. Sadly, I'm not super experienced with 1911s and have only had a couple cheap ones. I just didnt know the barrel was supposed to fit as stupidly tight as it does. Anyway, he offered to send me a lable and they would inspect the gun free of charge as a "gesture of goodwill". I declined because the gun is fine...I'm just an idiot. If the mods could possibly remove this entire thread so bad information doesn't get spread around, I'd feel better.
Old 03-10-2020, 08:54 PM

Sounds Like Springfield did you right . Glad to hear your problem is worked out .
Old 03-11-2020, 05:18 PM

This sounds like the Springfield that I have dealt with!
Glad to hear this!
Old 03-11-2020, 07:41 PM

We're all idiots from time to time. It's called "being human." You spent some hard-earned money on something and got nervous that it wasn't what you thought. No harm in that.
But that curse you wanted put in motion on the seller and his old lady is another story!