Colt Anaconda - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-02-2020, 09:36 AM

Colt Anaconda

I already own three S&W .44 Mag, so I thought itís just fitting that I give the big Colt a chance. I bought it end 2018 for $ 1600.- in Switzerland with box and papers, very good condition.

It is very big and heavy indeed, the cylinder looks huge.

I am not a big fan of rubber grips, but original wood ones are like hensí teeth. Bought a pair of cheap Thai copies but I hate the colour. Oh well ..

Some shooting at 25 m

Old 03-02-2020, 10:24 AM

Nice. I still kick myself when I think of one in 45 Colt I did not buy over 10 years ago in a LGS for $650. It had the box and papers with it also. At the time I thought, "Did they make them in 45 Colt?" and had to think about it. About a week later when I went back to the gun store it was gone.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:16 AM

I have the 4" version. I could drill a vertical target (fence post) at about 100 feet, horizontal target's a different story. I haven't shot it in years but it's still in my safe. I don't think I could ever get rid of it. Old picture with a couple other guns...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2020, 05:47 AM

I have a 4 inch Anaconda myself.

Old 03-04-2020, 05:57 PM

That Anaconda looks like it's in really good shape! For what it's worth, I don't think Anacondas normally came with wood grips. Mine came new with the same finger groove Pachmayr style that several of the photos here show. I replaced mine with some rosewood grips from Eagle Grips.

I love those 4" Anacondas. The really rare ones seem to be the 5" .45 Colt models.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMike View Post
That Anaconda looks like it's in really good shape! For what it's worth, I don't think Anacondas normally came with wood grips. Mine came new with the same finger groove Pachmayr style that several of the photos here show. I replaced mine with some rosewood grips from Eagle Grips.

I love those 4" Anacondas. The really rare ones seem to be the 5" .45 Colt models.
Correct re the rubber grips. Although on mine the fit was horrible. The gun could rock back and forth like a see saw in those things. Weren't aftermarket, had medallions and the gun came boxed to include the outside sleeve and all the original paperwork. I forget what I put on for replacement grips, Altamont something with medallion. I also bought Thai Trooper grips and they were very well made, fit right and had proper color.

BTW, I keep hearing that Colt is going to reissue the Anaconda.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:52 PM

Congratulations for adding the Anaconda to your collection. I'm sure you'll love it. I bought mine in February of 1995. I paid $399 for it (I still have the receipt). Almost makes me laugh these days. I have a well developed dislike for ugly, black rubber grips, but for some reason, I never changed them out on the Anaconda.

I haven't shot it for quite some time. I think it'll have to come up in the rotation pretty soon.

Last edited by larryf1952; 03-04-2020 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:24 PM

The Anaconda is a gun that appeared about 25 years too late. S&W and Ruger were dominating the double action 44 market, while Colt didn't even bother to make another large frame for many years once the New Service tooling was destroyed during WW2.
Old 03-05-2020, 01:46 AM

Colt Anaconda

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsf View Post
Correct re the rubber grips. Although on mine the fit was horrible. The gun could rock back and forth like a see saw in those things. Weren't aftermarket, had medallions and the gun came boxed to include the outside sleeve and all the original paperwork. I forget what I put on for replacement grips, Altamont something with medallion. I also bought Thai Trooper grips and they were very well made, fit right and had proper color.

BTW, I keep hearing that Colt is going to reissue the Anaconda.

Long ago I used to see Anacondas with those wood grips. I thought they were stock, maybe on early models

Now that the Python is revived, hopes, expectations, even speculation is running high.

Last edited by CLASSIC12; 03-05-2020 at 01:49 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:14 AM

Trooper MK V wood grips fit also.

Last edited by pyunker45; 03-05-2020 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:07 PM

Dang pyunker45, I think you have this photography thing figured out. Nice gun too...
Old 03-06-2020, 11:09 PM

You guys are posting some amazing looking photos. I almost feel stupid posting this one because the lighting sucks so badly.

This is my Anaconda that I purchased new from Pay 'n Save in Anchorage way too many years ago. Pay 'n Save of course is long gone.

This photo shows the rosewood grips I mentioned in my earlier post. For reference, I included my S&W model 29-2 with a different model of Eagle grips in ebony. I much prefer the style that's on the S&W, although for me these smaller rosewood grips sure beat the heck out of those cheap rubber grips that came when it was new.

Strangely, I just checked out Eagle Grips' website, and I don't see either of these grip styles available from them anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
anaconda1.jpg  
Old 03-08-2020, 01:10 PM

Great find. I have long desired an Anaconda 4 inch barrel in .45 Colt. Maybe someday.

You can likely find a variety of excellent wood grips to replace the Thai reproductions. Mostly stateside makers like Eagle Grips. And of course, there's always Nill in Germany.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:47 PM

Anacondas are cool, we sold a fair amount of them at the gun store I worked at in my college days. Only had one brought back and I'll never forget it. The guy puts the blue box on the counter and says it needs to be sent in for warranty work. I open the box and the Anaconda has dried blood on it and the top strap and half the cylinder is blown off. I had never seen a catastrophic failure like that! He claimed he was shooting factory Federal ammo when it happened. The manger jumped in and told him to get the box of ammo we sold him so we could call Federal and get a recall started before anyone else got hurt. He got panicky then and admitted he was using some of his hand loads. From that day forward I have been very picky about who's reloaded ammo I will use. Lol
Old 03-08-2020, 05:48 PM

The Anaconda... the good, the bad, the ugly...

So I bought one of the very first 4" Anaconda's to hit the state of California, and overall, I really liked it; allot!

The good.

It's a Colt - So it's VERY well made, and well thought out. Overall quality on mine was just plain first rate.
It has the Mk V action which is well designed and well thought out. Internals are investment cast, but cast very well, and finished very well...as in, the internal parts show signs of a good deal of attention after they came out of the molds. The result, a VERY smooth double action, and a crisp single action.
The Cylinder - SO IMPORTANT - First Colt always offsents the cylinder bolt cuts so they're not located at precisely the weakest point of the cylinder like a S&W. Coupled with first rate stainless steel, this makes the Anaconda just plain BRUTE STRONG!! Something even more important to me than just brute strength (I find S&W's more than strong enough for me), the cylinder mouths on mine were a PERFECT .4295"; just .0005 larger than the bore. Bullet casters will tell you this is a near Nirvana state, but it's also just plain ideal for jacketed bullets as well. The result was, my Anaconda was VERY accurate.
Barrel - What can I say? It is well made, the bore diameter is exactly as it should be, and I love the easily swappable front sight blade design.

The Bad
The frame above the trigger - Notice how the frame makes a dip at the top of the trigger window. Well, when you shoot stout magnum loads, during recoil/torque, your trigger finger takes a sharp whack from that little dip, and after a while; it gets old.

The ugly
Well, at the time I owned mine, grip selection just plain SUCKED. I don't know if that condition ever changed as I sold my Anaconda decades ago.

So in short... I can't wait for the day the Anaconda is back in production and remotely affordable because it was a really great revolver.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im41911 View Post
...I open the box and the Anaconda has dried blood on it and the top strap and half the cylinder is blown off. I had never seen a catastrophic failure like that!...
Did it look like this? I've had this pic for a long time. Don't know where it came from.
Attached Thumbnails
blown up Anaconda.jpg  
Old 03-11-2020, 07:16 PM

Looks like that picture come from a nightmare!
Old 03-11-2020, 07:44 PM

Holy smokes!!!!!
Old 03-12-2020, 12:43 AM

Congratulations on your Anaconda. The Anaconda SS .45 Colt, the snake that will surely cost me. I know and freely admit it, but I have a plan. I plan to buy one.

Last edited by STORM2; 03-12-2020 at 12:45 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryf1952 View Post
Did it look like this? I've had this pic for a long time. Don't know where it came from.
Yep, just like that! 3 chambers obliterated and the top strap lifted off.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:52 AM

Congratulations on your find, OP. I wish I had bought the one I found back in the early 90s when they were still being made, but I had had bad experiences with the King Cobras and wasn't ready to trust an Anaconda since it was basically a scaled-up Mk V action. However, the intervening years seem to have proven me wrong. (One of many, many mistakes to be rectified when I get my time machine working.)
Old 03-13-2020, 03:10 AM

Quote:
You guys are posting some amazing looking photos. I almost feel stupid posting this one because the lighting sucks so badly.

This is my Anaconda that I purchased new from Pay 'n Save in Anchorage way too many years ago. Pay 'n Save of course is long gone.

This photo shows the rosewood grips I mentioned in my earlier post. For reference, I included my S&W model 29-2 with a different model of Eagle grips in ebony. I much prefer the style that's on the S&W, although for me these smaller rosewood grips sure beat the heck out of those cheap rubber grips that came when it was new.

Strangely, I just checked out Eagle Grips' website, and I don't see either of these grip styles available from them anymore.
Interesting photo, Mike. Is that a matter of perspective with the camera or is the S&W's cylinder actually larger in diameter than the Colt's? I had recalled the Anaconda as being a much beefier revolver, but I'm working off a nearly thirty year-old memory of the only time I handled one.