Colt Thumb Safety - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-19-2020, 05:39 PM

One more guy that likes the GI style safety as I never rode the safety and it simply works well . My current 1911 carry is a LW WC Commanader and the safety looks like the one below -

https://www.egwguns.com/hd-gi-thumb-safety-blue
Old 02-20-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnumite View Post
IF it is the safety linked to earlier in the thread the paddle is lowered as well.
Are you talking about the Wilson Combat or the Harrison retro safety. I only ask since they are both linked?

So after posting on this subject and I am not going to spend $60-$80 for a safety that might not feel just right. I'll spend $80 if it exactly what I am looking for. So I bought a NOS Colt tear drop for $30 and I plan on craving it up and hopefull have it kinda a cross between a GI and the Harrison retro. GI profile but with alittle bit more meat to it.

I have a MilSpec WW2 1911A1. checkered safety / specs. Pad: wide .3290 and height from back side .3015 pin .153
So if any of you guys with the Wilson Combat or Harrison retro safety could measure how wide & height of the pad from backside. I appreciate it and it might help others out too deciding on what safety works for them.

I am in the middle of updating my 1994 Colt Lightweight Enhanced to todays standards. I am installing a Nighthawk sear & disco so I need a new safety to fit this sear. I am putting all the original parts away so if I ever wanted to go back to the cheap, crappy & mushy factory set up?!? LOL

I didn't know EGW made a GI safety. Cool I like EGW parts.

Last edited by Kuzz; 02-20-2020 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 04:12 PM

I was referring to the Harrison Retro. FWIW, this was a sprnger MilSpec teardrop thumb safety.

Using a RIA part to configure a GI thumb safety configuration won’t work out great. The paddle lateral curve is a different dimension than the Colt pattern tear drop thumb safety. The derived “GI” thumb safety configuration using RIA as the ‘donor’ thumb safety results in an asymmetrical thumb paddle (stud).

Hear are pics of a Springer ts configured to Gi dimensions and placement.
Attached Thumbnails
D436672F-84A6-4DF3-93C7-F36BB58D6A49.jpeg   ADF9AEA1-92DC-4E29-945A-F7494FD6FDB4.jpeg  
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If it’s not a Kimber, it’s a copy.

Last edited by Magnumite; 02-20-2020 at 04:17 PM.