First day carrying - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-12-2020, 08:21 PM

As mentioned by some posts, practice carrying at home until you are comfortable , practice (unloaded and checked several times ) drawing and presenting in a mirror while saying ďAre you talking to me ? I donít see anyone else here, you must be talking to me.Ē

And as mentioned, while you are at home, practice taking a deuce with your rig & weapon and spare magazine on you. Just imagine you are at your favorite fast food burrito joint and you just ate ďThe Big BurroĒ with extra hot Hatch chilies on it.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:06 PM

I have 2 options that I am looking at currently. I bought an officers size ria 1911 to carry in a GI holsters appendix holster. Itís a kydex shell lined with leather.

I also bought a kydex iwb holster from a local gun shop for when I took the ccw class with my ruger sr1911 and evening though Iím a small guy, itís actually pretty comfy.

I know a lot of you guys donít like appendix, but I think it might work for me. Iíd at least like to try it to see how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-12-2020, 10:26 PM

New carriers have a tendency to check/feel for their gun often to make sure it's still there. Don't. Certainly not in public anyway. They also tend to be overly worried about printing. By all means check things out at home in various positions to makes sure you don't have any issues. Then don't worry about it. 99% of the world is oblivious.

The need for a high quality holster and belt cannot be overstated. Don't skimp on these things. Both of these items should last you many years so a few extra bucks up front is well worth the money.

And as others have said, seek quality training.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
So-----at some point you will have to "sit down" with your pants down by your ankles!

Yup, nobody practices this little "duty"!

I've heard several versions of this task. What to do with your EDC? It's not at all graceful trying to keep it holstered while doing the above. What I do is grip it as everything is going down. Once down un-holster and place thing inside my right pant leg. Once the task is completed reverse the order.

Your process may be different. The main thing is dominion and control. Resist placing your gun on a shelf or anything else. It's just too easy to leave without it.

My son is a restaurant manager and has collected numerous handguns left in stalls. One a LEO's. All were returned to their respective owners but had to be turned over to the local authorities in the process!

All the best,
+1 for this advice, been carrying for almost 40 years, retired leo and I still slow down and think thru each step of this process as I'm doing it. Only thing worse than leaving your gun in the bathroom is dropping your gun and having to ask the guy in the next stall to kick your gun back over to you.

Second, when someone does something to tick you off. STOP, take a deep breath and reevaluate. It pays huge dividends to be humble when you are carrying an implement that can take a life. You do not want to be viewed by witnesses as an aggressor but a defender.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper894 View Post
Second, when someone does something to tick you off. STOP, take a deep breath and reevaluate. It pays huge dividends to be humble when you are carrying an implement that can take a life. You do not want to be viewed by witnesses as an aggressor but a defender.
To add to this, when you possess the means to inflict deadly force on others it becomes critical that you be as conflict-avoidant as humanly possible. Don't get pissed off at other drivers, don't lose your cool because of the assholes out there, and try to back off when some jerk decides he wants to get a piece of you just because you pissed HIM off. In other words, prepare for some humility and keep your ego in check. Because you have the power to kill anyone you meet, and that power must be wielded with care.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunBugBit View Post
It's great advice, but it's only the beginning.
It's always a really smart idea to start at the beginning and work from there.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because no one makes one in .46cal.--Me
The 9mm is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 02-13-2020, 08:08 AM

It took me a while to fully understand that I was actually carrying a gun especially since I came from a very unfriendly gun state, NY. Try to relax. Hopefully you have chosen a gun you are comfortable shooting and carrying. Have a good belt. The choice of holster is very important but do not fret you can start your collection of ones that did not work and needed to be replaced immediately.

Getting training and practicing PROPERLY is important. Some people will scoff but I found that once you feel comfortable with your gun and have practiced for a while engaging in some competition is great. My son after 2 trips to the range did OK in an USPSA match because he listened. They are great fun and good as training and you meet some great people. You will need to filter out the "experts".
Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCfromNY View Post
It took me a while to fully understand that I was actually carrying a gun especially since I came from a very unfriendly gun state, NY. Try to relax. Hopefully you have chosen a gun you are comfortable shooting and carrying. Have a good belt. The choice of holster is very important but do not fret you can start your collection of ones that did not work and needed to be replaced immediately.

Getting training and practicing PROPERLY is important. Some people will scoff but I found that once you feel comfortable with your gun and have practiced for a while engaging in some competition is great. My son after 2 trips to the range did OK in an USPSA match because he listened. They are great fun and good as training and you meet some great people. You will need to filter out the "experts".
Good advice. Especially the part about the "experts"
Old 02-13-2020, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Some so-called "experts" are posers at best, and dangerous idiots at worst. An example of the former was some dude I saw 30 years ago who showed up at the range frequently to give one-on-one instruction to women. The problem was, he was a handsome, chisel-faced weightlifter and his students were always young and drop-dead gorgeous. It was so obvious that he was doing it to pick up chicks that it was both funny and pathetic at the same time. Not once did he ever bring an average-looking, older or obese woman to the range to teach.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Some so-called "experts" are posers at best, and dangerous idiots at worst. An example of the former was some dude I saw 30 years ago who showed up at the range frequently to give one-on-one instruction to women. The problem was, he was a handsome, chisel-faced weightlifter and his students were always young and drop-dead gorgeous. It was so obvious that he was doing it to pick up chicks that it was both funny and pathetic at the same time. Not once did he ever bring an average-looking, older or obese woman to the range to teach.
My knee jerk, completely blind, gut instinct would be that he was an example of the latter. Based on your description of the circumstances, I doubt that his "instruction" was all that good...
I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain. ~ John Adams
Old 02-13-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autonomous View Post
More than ever avoid trouble or confrontation. Don't imagine yourself a hero.
I will second this! You have deadly force at your command. You have to be the most polite, curtious, person in the county.
I'll also add as others have said, no one will notice. A cop might, but might not either. Don't worry about it. Situation awareness becomes important.
CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 02-14-2020, 09:28 PM

Once you have consistently carried for 45 years as I have done, you will be seriously uncomfortable any time you go out without a suitable sidearm!

BOARHUNTER
Old 02-15-2020, 07:26 AM

Thank you for getting your Illinois CCL. More people should.

I received my renewal a couple of months ago. I never leave home without a firearm.

Carry always (except where prohibited), never tell.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:47 AM

Well I realized last night that I didnít have any ammo. Iím currently typing this eating my lunch with an empty 1911 holstered on me. Went to the local gun shop to pick up some ammo and had a really good conceal carry with a worker there.

This is a strange thing and itís gonna take some getting used to

Old 02-16-2020, 12:39 PM

Carried all day Saturday. Half day was empty, the other half was chamber empty carry. I was just trying to get used to the weight of a loaded gun on me.

Today (Sunday), Iím carrying for the second day. Full mag, cocked and locked. Iím not sure Iím in love with appendix carry. The gun isnít uncomfortable there, but the holster is rubbing on my stomach and itís kinda irritating it. I think I know why I see a lot of guys with an undershirt tucked in now

Old 02-16-2020, 02:30 PM

I have never tried appendix carry. The rule "never point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy" stops me! Try IWB at the 3 or 4 oclock position.
Good luck, you'll get used to it.