Really bad match.. damage to my LBCC - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-26-2019, 08:20 PM

I kaboomed a Springfield Armory Loaded in the late 1990s (IIRC). I had just started reloading, and think I didn't size (or may of double charged). The guy I was shooting with claims he saw the the gun go off without having fully gone into battery.

It blew the bottom of the mag out, below out the grip on the left side, blew some grip into my right hand, bulged the barrel hood, and locked up the gun.

I contacted Springfield, and they had me send it in. What came back had the same serial number but didn't look like it had been KB'd.

In 1984 I watched my uncle hammer a 30 Carbine into a reload squib lodged in the barrel. That split the M1 Carbine barrel like a banana.

Not paying attention when reloading can negate a year's worth of factory vs reload cost savings instantly.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:33 AM

I had a squib several years ago on a Colt 1911. I was running a string of plates with my buddy when I had a weird sounding round go off and simply kept going when I should have stopped. The weird sound was a squib load that left a 240 grain projectile lodged midway down the Colt barrel. Well what followed was a violent shot with the slide being hung up behind the bulge. I got it home and back to the bench. I had to knock the slide off of the barrel with a dead blow hammer. You could visibly see the bulge and when I placed a micrometer on the barrel it was confirmed that the barrel was now a few thousandths larger. Long story short, I inspected slide and frame ordered a new Kart barrel and fit it to the gun. Gun has run flawless since. Lesson learned as it was my reloading mistake.

ETA: here is the link to my squib thread from 2010 where I tried to blow up my Colt
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=293126

Last edited by rod727; 11-27-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:16 PM

Update.. nothing to update .. still waiting

Old 11-30-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod727 View Post
I had a squib several years ago on a Colt 1911. I was running a string of plates with my buddy when I had a weird sounding round go off and simply kept going when I should have stopped. The weird sound was a squib load that left a 240 grain projectile lodged midway down the Colt barrel. Well what followed was a violent shot with the slide being hung up behind the bulge. I got it home and back to the bench. I had to knock the slide off of the barrel with a dead blow hammer. You could visibly see the bulge and when I placed a micrometer on the barrel it was confirmed that the barrel was now a few thousandths larger. Long story short, I inspected slide and frame ordered a new Kart barrel and fit it to the gun. Gun has run flawless since. Lesson learned as it was my reloading mistake.

ETA: here is the link to my squib thread from 2010 where I tried to blow up my Colt
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=293126
Ouch! Good story.

Since the incident with my LB I've shot 3 matches with my reloads and a Colt Commander. No squibs. But, if I do have a hammer drop with no shot, I plan to stop and check. The hell with time.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:50 PM

Update! Brenda called me about two weeks ago.. it was ready. I paid my bill and received it a couple days later.

It was packaged in the familiar triangular box, slobbered in Break-Free and in a plastic bag.

Took it to the range and all was well. Shot about 100 rounds (half were factory Aguila) and it shot fine. Accuracy seems no different . A couple days later went back to range and fired another 100 rounds of reloads .. all good. Nothing to report , other than no surprises.

Tonight I'll be shooting a local match with it. This time, in the case of a mis-fire , I'll be stopping to check for squib. Heck with the time. This is all for fun.

I did not get my old barrel back. Apparently it's a liability issue.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:59 PM

And the Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 arrived the day before the Les Baer was returned! Nice surprise
Old 01-02-2020, 01:59 PM

I was shooting next to a guy who was shooting his 45 ACP 1911 with reloads. During a pause in the firing I heard @#$%. The guy said he could get the slide to go in to battery. Long story short, he had a squib, and fired the next round which also shot out the stuck bullet. The only damage to his gun, a GI spec 1911, was a bulged barrel. Good Luck with yours.
Old 01-02-2020, 04:51 PM

I'm betting that the returned barrel will have a bulge in it. Been there & done that.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_root2000 View Post
The shot that blew the gun could have pushed the squib out. Don't rule it out. I have witness that. It left a bulge in the barrel, but it was clear in the end.

David

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
Iíve seen that too.

Rick
http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/
IDPA Certified Safety Officer