Yet another large dude with 1911 IWB questions - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-06-2019, 07:43 PM

Look up Spencer Keeper of Keepers Concealment. He's a really big dude that makes appendix carry holsters from Kydex. Dude is a very fast draw. Take his class as well.

https://youtu.be/V25JBR-TXX0
Old 11-06-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoraceSwaby View Post
Look up Spencer Keeper of Keepers Concealment. He's a really big dude that makes appendix carry holsters from Kydex. Dude is a very fast draw. Take his class as well.

https://youtu.be/V25JBR-TXX0
It's on my list of things to try. But holy cow...the options I want come to nearly $250.00. That's a really, really expensive Kydex holster.

I'll still wind up getting one but it will be a while. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:12 PM

Sell the life saving equipment that is not meeting your needs to purchase life saving equipment that will.

JM Custom Kydex also makes very high quality holsters, I first saw one on the hip of Ken Hackathorn.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:30 PM

I'm not as big as some of the guys here are when I first started doing concealed carry (well, I'm also not as tall) but at my fattest the Garrett Silent Thunder worked very well for me. Yeah, there were times that the high sweat shield got into a love handle but so what-ya wanna carry a 1911 IWB? It's a skinny but rigid and not exactly small bit of steel and there's only one shape that can change and that's yours...

Now-not that I'm worried about getting called out for "body shaming" so much on this forum let me explain something.

I was obese.

I developed coronary artery disease.

I have two stents and a fist full of pills to take every day for the rest of my life. It's not fun being in the back of an ambulance having a kid trying to find veins in your arms.

Let alone the stuff that may follow if you make it...

So I offer some advice born of experience. Put the fork down and get serious...(well, I want to live and I need to do things that will improve the quality of that life and not just for me, there are those who seem to like having me around and even if it were only an old stray cat, who cares?) it's as serious as a heart attack.

Been there, done that.

And yeah-since that grim day I've lost the weight and spend some time in the gym and I feel better than I did years ago. I live to deprive my cardiologist of any more income from me...

Just sayin'...

carry on.

https://www.giholsters.com/

Last edited by Capt. Methane; 11-08-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Methane View Post
I'm not as big as some of the guys here are when I first started doing concealed carry (well, I'm also not as tall) but at my fattest the Garrett Silent Thunder worked very well for me. Yeah, there were times that the high sweat shield got into a love handle but so what-ya wanna carry a 1911 IWB? It's a skinny but rigid and not exactly small bit of steel and there's only one shape that can change and that's yours...

Now-not that I'm worried about getting called out for "body shaming" so much on this forum let me explain something.

I was obese.

I developed coronary artery disease.

I have two stents and a fist full of pills to take every day for the rest of my life. It's not fun being in the back of an ambulance having a kid trying to find veins in your arms.

Let alone the stuff that may follow if you make it...

So I offer some advice born of experience. Put the fork down and get serious...(well, I want to live and I need to do things that will improve the quality of that life and not just for me, there are those who seem to like having me around and even if it were only an old stray cat, who cares?) it's as serious as a heart attack.

Been there, done that.

And yeah-since that grim day I've lost the weight and spend some time in the gym and I feel better than I did years ago. I live to deprive my cardiologist of any more income from me...

Just sayin'...

carry on.

https://www.giholsters.com/
I hear you, and in fact, we are in the process of all the cardiologist stuff now (Dr. visits, etc.). My wife is an N.P., so I get a lot of pressure at home about my weight and general health.

Also smoked two packs of cigs a day for 20 years. Let's just say that I'm familiar with the term "calcification". Hell, my dentist noticed it in my neck during a Pano scan, lol.

Health changes are coming, but that is, at best, an 18 month away solution as far as concealed carry comfort is concerned. I need something that works now.

This week I bought a good pancake holster from a local maker. Man, that thing is comfortable. And man...that thing is not really concealable.

At this point I'm considering new clothes such as "concealed carry-wear" and/or long vests. Stuff like that.

Did you use the Silent Thunder as AIWB? How did that work with a belly? It's one of the holsters that I am considering for a try, but I haven't carried appendix before.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:50 PM

I know this is an older thread but here's an option. Contact Wes at Privateer Leather. I had him make me his Buccaneer holster (27 deg. cant) but with an extended sweat shield. I get what they told you at Milt Sparks; Every leather holster that I have ever used ended up with the sweat shield being folded over because of my love handles. And it does sometimes interfere with re-holstering
as the thumb safety will catch on the sweat shield. I've gotten to where I use my thumb to push the sweat shield aside as I re-holster. it's a slight inconvenience until I lose the love handles. Good luck!
Dan Wesson Valkyrie, '03 Springfield
Old 12-31-2019, 11:23 AM

I also am having a difficult time with finding what I want fron "Custom" holster makers.... NO One wants to ad a thumb strap, but they talk about agencies that require it and go on to say "you are not law enforcement". What does that have to do with it? If someone wants an option what not do it, although it would be harder to make and "custom"

Just my rant for today...... Anyone know of anyone that would add a thumb strap on an IWB holster ????
Or if Kelley Gunleather is still in business ?
Old 12-31-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
I also am having a difficult time with finding what I want fron "Custom" holster makers.... NO One wants to ad a thumb strap, but they talk about agencies that require it and go on to say "you are not law enforcement". What does that have to do with it? If someone wants an option what not do it, although it would be harder to make and "custom"

Just my rant for today...... Anyone know of anyone that would add a thumb strap on an IWB holster ????
Or if Kelley Gunleather is still in business ?
I think that [email protected] will make you pretty much anything you want.

He just did a new holster for me with some strange requests and was really good about communication and clarification if he didn't understand what I was babbling about. Very reasonable price and only took about a month for him to ship it. I recommend him.

garritysgunleather.com
Old 12-31-2019, 11:36 AM

The Bianchi Pistol Pocket is an IWB, with a thumb strap. They’ve been around since the 70’s. Not too sexy, but functional.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:13 PM

I'm 6' 220lb I can carry using the Crossbreed Supertuck all day with no problem. Very comfortable as long as you have a good belt.I use the Galco sport belt
Old 01-03-2020, 05:16 PM

All I know is that Milt Sparks will not modify their holsters if they think that the modifications will compromise the function of their leathers regardless of whether or not the customer insists on it or sign a liability waiver.

There are other custom holster makers who will make whatever the customers want - I've used them before, and then there's Milt Sparks who will not compromise the functionality of their designs.

I've tried to sweet talk them into doing some mods for me while assuring them that the mods I wanted are strictly for aesthetics and I'd swear on my Mom's eternal soul that I wouldn't use said holster for concealed carry but just for goofing around and posing. The reply was a resounding, "Nope!"

The funny part is that the fully customized holsters that I had significant say-so in...they don't work so good. There's a reason why nobody wants to attend my proffered trainings in lieu of, say, Ken Hackathorn, Mas Ayoob, Larry Vickers, Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, etc.. So, for CCW, I'll defer to the expertise of Milt Sparks.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
There aren't many. I'll try to remember a few...

Andrews Custom Leather will put a thumb break on their MacDaniel II http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

Black Hills has a couple https://blackhillsleather.com/gun-le...the-waist.html

Tauris Leather http://www.taurisholsters.com/products.cfm
Old 01-03-2020, 06:09 PM

Ted Blocker https://www.tedblockerholsters.com/iwb-holsters.html
Old 01-03-2020, 06:16 PM

Simply Rugged's Tribute can be worn IWB https://www.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...158&parent=669

I'll hold off here, I realize I've gotten off topic from the OP's post.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:06 AM

You might email Paul Tripodi at [email protected]. He can probably make something to fit your needs and look good too
Old 01-21-2020, 09:22 PM

https://blackpointtactical.com/shop/lwlm/