The magic of the TRS - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-13-2019, 09:20 AM

The magic of the TRS

I acquired a 20 year-old TRS a few months ago. The moment I held it I was in love. Didn't know why, but it felt better in the hand than any other 1911 to me.

Upon finding that some hillbilly had milled the back of the TRS grips too deep to accommodate an add-on mag well (and ruined the thin grips because the screw shoulder was gone) I put a pair of VZ thin grips on the Baer. I played with it less and less over the next few months.

This morning I put the original thin grips back on out of boredom....and the magic is back! I really love the way it feels.

Who else thinks that the magic of the TRS is directly related to the ultra-thin grips?

And, has anyone found a grip panel maker that produces thin grips that are THIS thin? I'd like to get a set of compact grips like this for a different rig.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:58 AM

You should be able to order the slim grips from Les that he uses on the UTC.

Same gun as the TRS but without the TRS markings.

Hope this helps, Ray.
45 ACP - Ed Brown KC SS & Blued EE - Colt E.A. Custom O1970A1 & O1070A1, E.A. Retro O1970A1 & O1070A1, 1970CY SCG - Guncrafter NN CCO - Springfield Professional & Professional Operator - Nighthawk T3 x2, GRP Commander, & Classic - Les Baer TRS & UTC - Dan Wesson V-Bob - Alchemy Prime & Prime Elite - Wilson Combat Pro LR | 9mm - Nighthawk Bob Marvel | 38 Super - Guncrafter NN CCO & Nighthawk GRP | 10mm - Evolution Armory (E.A.) Elite 10 | Wilson Combat EDC X9 | On Order:....
Old 12-13-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprmx199 View Post

Hope this helps, Ray.
Thanks. I emailed them a while back and was told that they still have the TRS grips in stock. Not cheap though. I'll order a set soon.

I was hoping to find grips of this thickness from other makers. Google isn't turning up much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2019, 01:42 PM

I've picked up several sets of ultra thin alumagrips directly from Heidi at Thunder Ranch. They are the same thinness as the original wood grips.
1911s: Baer - Custom Carry Commanche, TRS, TRS (no FCS); Brown - Special Forces (black), Special Forces (black on stealth grey); Colt - Wiley Clapp CCO, Gunsite Government; Nighthawk - Talon II; Springfield - Milspec; Wilson Combat - CQB (Black on OD), CQB Compact (black on grey), Professional 9mm [and Wilson/Beretta Centurion].
Old 12-14-2019, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMP View Post
I've picked up several sets of ultra thin alumagrips directly from Heidi at Thunder Ranch. They are the same thinness as the original wood grips.
Thanks for the tip! I'll look into them. Not really a fan of wood grips, so that might be perfect.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:29 PM

The thickness of my original TRS grips is .1765 at their thickest. I just heard back from Alumagrips and their slimlines are .160 at their thickest.

Cool. Definitely going to order a pair. Waiting to find out if they can be milled for the original Baer grip panel screws (.3125 diameter) and if they still offer the Thunder Ranch logo that I've seen on the Interwebs.

Then I gotta pick a grip color for an extremely worn, blued TRS.Wish they offered gunmetal.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:16 PM

You should try calling Thunder Ranch itself to see if they still have any TRS alumagrips. In the past you had to get them from Thunder Ranch not Alumagrips itself.
1911s: Baer - Custom Carry Commanche, TRS, TRS (no FCS); Brown - Special Forces (black), Special Forces (black on stealth grey); Colt - Wiley Clapp CCO, Gunsite Government; Nighthawk - Talon II; Springfield - Milspec; Wilson Combat - CQB (Black on OD), CQB Compact (black on grey), Professional 9mm [and Wilson/Beretta Centurion].
Old 12-18-2019, 12:19 PM

Just for comparison sake:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_E3307.JPG  
Old 12-19-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprmx199 View Post

Hope this helps, Ray.
The grips are made by Altamont. Note also that the screw heads are wider than on standard grips. The same grip was used on the Colt CCG 1911.
Old 12-19-2019, 08:43 PM

I'm still on the fence about this. I've put several aftermarket grips (both slim and regular) on the TRS and it just doesn't have the awesomeness with any grip but the original. The Alumagrips are supposedly nearly the same dimensionally but I'm undecided.

I found a fellow on another forum with a like-new (but old...meaning aged and darkened) set of TRS grips he will sell me after the first of the year. Think I'm gonna wait to see if that pans out before ordering anything else.

I'm afraid that a new set from Baer will look out of place on my worn pistol.

Thanks for the tips everyone!