Snail slow brownells shipping ? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-11-2019, 08:13 PM

So if a customer is unhappy, quit being a customer and be happy. I’m going to use every vendor I need and understand everything is not equally fast or slow. When you need something, do you go to full stop and immediately order it? Is it the absolute most important thing in your life at that second? Probably not, but when it isn’t on your doorstep as soon as you want, consider that you contributed to the crisis. I find complaining seems to have become a hobby for some and a way of life for professional procrastinators.
Old 11-11-2019, 09:35 PM

I've been using Brownell's for almost 40 years and always had great service until the third generation took over, expanded and moved to the new facility. Their service has taken a terrible turn for the worse since. If you use the free shipping option, your item ships UPS/Smartpost which has the absolute worst shipping record in America. Items go standard UPS to sorting facility then get loaded on trailers destined for UPS/Smartpost shipments and will SIT at the terminal until that trailer is full. Items may sit for a full week or more until the trailer is deemed full enough to move on to next sorting facility and the process continues on until it finally limps its way to your USPS. It's what you get for free shipping now. If you want your items in a timely fashion your going to have to pay standard shipping fees.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:11 AM

Sounds like Amazon needs to buy UPS, USPS and Mercedes!
Old 11-12-2019, 05:24 AM

Here's the thing, you go on Brownell's website and the part you need says "In Stock". But that may be 10 in stock or it may be one. If it's one and you place an order at the same time someone else places an order for the same part and he checks out first.... Guess what? Part is no longer in stock. I've ordered from Brownell's for years. Midway too. Never had a real issue with either of them. I have ordered things, not realizing they were on back order. It's inconvenient but it ain't gonna cause me to keel over.

Brownell's fills 10,000+ orders a day. One back order does not mean the company is screwing you. Get over it.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:25 AM

Midway is still better than Brownells but they aren’t what they used to be. I can remember wondering if they were shipping my packages before I even ordered them.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:52 AM

This is the age of instant gratification. We want it now!!!

I think it is due to order volume that your package does not leave Brownells for a day or two. Then as others have said if you go cheap on shipping you are at the mercy of the most mismanaged shipping company the usps. Here is a run down of my latest usps fiasco.

11/6/19 8pm picked up from vendor
11/7/19 departs texas
11/9/19 12am arrives hebron ky
11/9/19 11am arrives eaton oh 10 miles north of where I live and the feeder post office for my local post office
11/9/19 12pm arrives cinci oh 30 miles south of me
11/10/19 1am leaves cinci and goes 45 north to dayton oh
11/10/19 3am arrives in dayton oh
11/11/19 8am arrives in eaton AGAIN
11/12/19 7am out for delivery.

Anyone care to guess why the post office is losing money?
Old 11-12-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
This is the age of instant gratification. We want it now!!!

I think it is due to order volume that your package does not leave Brownells for a day or two. Then as others have said if you go cheap on shipping you are at the mercy of the most mismanaged shipping company the usps. Here is a run down of my latest usps fiasco.
You know, I don't have problems getting USPS stuff. Or UPS stuff. Or Fedex stuff.

It's the Surepost/ Smartpost stuff mentioned above that starts with UPS or Fedex and then final delivery is done by USPS. It is the worst off all services added together so the shipper can save a $ or 2.
Old 11-12-2019, 11:59 PM

Brownells = Great Customer Service

I had an item on back order at Brownells. Got an email Monday (a holiday) that the item was in and the order processed. It shipped Tuesday via UPS with USPS bringing it to my address. ETA is Saturday.

I am in Washington State, and think that is perfectly acceptable. Also, had it come UPS all the way, i would not have it until next Monday.

All air mail eligible in-stock items come FedEx two-day - no charge. Cannot beat that.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:16 PM

Here in SW Mo I used to get packages from Brownells in 3-4 days. But ever since that parcel post craps it's been more like 7-10 days. Now I just order from Midway and pay yhe state tax so I can get it in 2-3 days. I only order from Brownells if is something I can't get from Midway. It sucks since I have been a Brownells customer for over 40 years.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:23 PM

I understand the frustration with their speed of delivery. I'm a bit frustrated with the speed with which they process a returned item refund.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:27 PM

Had FREE shipping from Brownells once. Took two weeks to get the package. FedEx picks up the package, it sits in their local to me facility, then gets to my local Post Office for delivery. The package sat in the local to me FedEx facility for over one week. Facility is 30-miles from me. They finally delivered to my post office and I got the package.

The service that FedEx has where the deliver the package to your local post office is the worst delivery service that I have ever had. I have had similar experiences with post office delivery of FedEx package from other vendors.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:56 PM

I've placed a pretty good number of orders with Brownell's in the last month or two. I live in Memphis, TN and I get my orders in about 3 or 4 days on average. Also, items shown in stock all were in stock.

Of course, Brownell's is in the middle of Iowa (Grinell), which is 593 miles from me in Memphis. They're fairly near I-80, but maybe sometimes it just takes longer for things to get out of Iowa?

By comparison, MidwayUSA is literally alongside I-70 in Columbia, Missouri.
Shortest route from there to Memphis is 401 miles, and orders from there seem to get to me a day or so quicker than from Brownell's, which makes sense as it's 203 miles further away.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:01 PM

I have always used them with great success, and fast shipping too. Usually couple times a year, no issues.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:38 PM

brownells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix45 View Post
Odd. I've made a couple of purchases from Brownells in the past month. I think the typical delivery time was a week.
Christmas and there is a mass panic buy all things gun going on, guess why. brownells is working hard.

I ordered high end NSN OEM mags direct from the manufacturer for my new bolt gun. 80.00 bucks a piece. took 2 months and the heavy box arrived. it had 6 5rd and 1 10 rd mag. called. did not want to cause anybody problems. manager said not to worry and thanks for honesty. no charge and shipping clerk OK. election year pending.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Brownells has been and will continue to be my go to place for my purchases that are not direct from a firearms or parts company.

I really wish they did not use Sure Post and would just use UPS or USPS instead of the combination as that is always slower.

Although I have never used it, their no questions asked lifetime guarantee is a big factor in my choice of Brownells. I also appreciate that it is still a family business.

On my way across the country earlier this year I was able to stop in and visit.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 11-13-2019, 10:30 PM

I sent a email to brownells about my front sight tool last weekend it shows up yesterday, finally. I delt with them in the past, they were never this slow.

Gun Safety never sleeps or takes a day off, be safe do it right......
Old 11-14-2019, 09:07 AM

You're asking the wrong people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
Could brownells really be this slow? I ordered a 1911 front sight tool last month?
Maybe contact Brownell's instead of asking where it really doesn't matter.