Do you hunt??? - Page 2 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-26-2019, 12:12 PM

I bowhunt, use handguns and rifle hunt for deer and hogs....shotguns for birds rabbits and turkeys.... I taught my son to do the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Nick 2014 Bird 2.jpg  
Old 10-26-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911crazy View Post
People who donít hunt, donít have a clue. Try being ten feet from a bear in 6í tall grass thatís exciting.

I hunted since I was 12 yo with my older brother who was my mentor. It was a time to stop what we were doing in life and get away to my camp, to bond and hunt. Iím a really good cook too. Not only did we hunt, walking for miles in the green mountains of Vermont we ate good too. It was a lifetime of experiences Iíll never forget we had a blast. Itís not about killing something itís the hunt, the tracking and the search thatís fun. We hunted where my family hunted for decades it was a family tradition.
OK, so I don't hunt, never had any interest in hunting, so I must be "clueless." Don't really care. My only interest in firearms is self defense. When I was a teenager I started reading the newspaper and particularly the articles about crime and violence committed by criminals. I remember reading about the kidnapping of Patty Hearst when she was pulled out of a parked car and and they shot her boyfriend, Stephen Weed in the face during the kidnapping.

I also remember many other violent criminal acts committed by various other criminals. Even before I started reading the newspapers, I remember watching Charlie Manson and his nuthouse "family" of losers on TV when they were being taken to court after murdering (and in some cases mutilating) several innocent people. Things like this made me cognizant of the many dangerous people out there in society. An animal out in the woods who never harmed or threatened me wasn't something that I had any interest in "hunting" or harming, much less killing, butchering, and eating, especially when I can just go to the grocery store for food.

I believe that this recognition of the evil that exists in our society was what inspired me to go into the law enforcement profession. I'm retired now and I still have no interest in hunting, so you can call me clueless. I don't care. All of my firearms are meant to serve a purpose, as self defense against evil, not to "hunt" innocent animals. Now, if an animal (four legged variety) threatened me or a loved one, I wouldn't hesitate to kill it. But, I sure wouldn't be butchering or eating it. Again, I can get all the meat I need for sustenance at the grocery store.
Old 10-26-2019, 02:00 PM

Yep, you're clueless. WIMPY
Old 10-26-2019, 03:15 PM

I used to hunt elk and deer when I was young and really liked it but turns out I liked the adventure more than the game meet, so I quit. Still shoot varmints from time to time but that video reminded that there are more deserving critters around that I would like to b-slap.
Old 10-26-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inv136 View Post
ok, so i don't hunt, never had any interest in hunting, so i must be "clueless." don't really care. My only interest in firearms is self defense. When i was a teenager i started reading the newspaper and particularly the articles about crime and violence committed by criminals. I remember reading about the kidnapping of patty hearst when she was pulled out of a parked car and and they shot her boyfriend, stephen weed in the face during the kidnapping.

I also remember many other violent criminal acts committed by various other criminals. Even before i started reading the newspapers, i remember watching charlie manson and his nuthouse "family" of losers on tv when they were being taken to court after murdering (and in some cases mutilating) several innocent people. Things like this made me cognizant of the many dangerous people out there in society. An animal out in the woods who never harmed or threatened me wasn't something that i had any interest in "hunting" or harming, much less killing, butchering, and eating, especially when i can just go to the grocery store for food.

I believe that this recognition of the evil that exists in our society was what inspired me to go into the law enforcement profession. I'm retired now and i still have no interest in hunting, so you can call me clueless. I don't care. All of my firearms are meant to serve a purpose, as self defense against evil, not to "hunt" innocent animals. Now, if an animal (four legged variety) threatened me or a loved one, i wouldn't hesitate to kill it. But, i sure wouldn't be butchering or eating it. Again, i can get all the meat i need for sustenance at the grocery store.

lol
Old 10-26-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebill View Post
https://www.longislandgunclub.com/fo...ith-here-on-li

From my local Long Island NY forum. I personally don’t hunt, but I eat meat. Too much of it honestly. Follow the link and the first post has a link to a hunter on LI being confronted by a father and his kids. Vulgar language ensues so be warned. I don’t know if you’ll laugh, get angry, both? I laughed but got very angry at the lack of thought and logic. People like these are why our 2A is constantly infringed here. Thoughts??

Should be a direct link
https://streamable.com/s/bhuif/qndfe
My thoughts are, move out of NY asap.

LI is full of anti 2A, much of the anti is promulgated by Suffolk PD. I had a dbag detective guy out of Yaphank when I did my pistol permit. I can understand the LEO dragging out the process on purpose, but being a dbag along the way just pissed me off.

LI is just small pockets of hunting areas, it's not like, as example, 7M or 5H, etc.

It will continue to happen as long as the anti-2A crowd exists.

I have NY lifetime big game license. I have family still there and do sometimes get to go on opening day weekend. The trips have been waning though.

Last edited by 1911_Kid; 10-26-2019 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:25 PM

Inv136, of course you hunted, not animals, but bad people.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 10-27-2019, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
+1. Iíve never been interested in hunting, although I do enjoy collecting and shooting firearms. I do eat meat and I donít have anything against people that hunt ethically. Thatís why God created certain animals.

As a career LEO (now retired) there were times I was able to hunt bad guys, sometimes in the woods and I thoroughly enjoyed it... in fact, Iíve never felt more alive. Those that have been there know what I mean...
Old 10-27-2019, 09:15 AM

Yes a lot...
Old 10-27-2019, 09:24 AM

I use to but don't anymore. On my wedding day 43 years ago I went bird hunting that mourning. I have no problem with folks hunting.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
How much you want to bet that father is someone who goes around telling people that owning hunting guns is okay, but nobody needs an AR-15? Some of the idiots who say that are Fudds, but a lot of them are anti-hunters like this dude as well.
I've heard a number of people talk that in gun shops, out on a shooting range and at work.

The problem is, since they don't have an interest in owning an AR, they don't think the rest of use should be able to own them, but they sure like talking about their favorite revolver, semi-auto pistol, bolt-action rifle or hunting shotgun.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid View Post
My thoughts are, move out of NY asap.

LI is full of anti 2A, much of the anti is promulgated by Suffolk PD. I had a dbag detective guy out of Yaphank when I did my pistol permit. I can understand the LEO dragging out the process on purpose, but being a dbag along the way just pissed me off.

LI is just small pockets of hunting areas, it's not like, as example, 7M or 5H, etc.

It will continue to happen as long as the anti-2A crowd exists.

I have NY lifetime big game license. I have family still there and do sometimes get to go on opening day weekend. The trips have been waning though.

I agree. Thereís a lot of anti 2A here. Funny thing is, as Iím sure you know, Long Island is predominately republican. The 2A crowd call them rinos-republican in name only.
On another ironic turn, I showed my wife the video and she recognized the kid. He went to the school she worked at.
As far as scpd, what did they give you a hard time about? They denied 2 of my friends, one guy because he forgot about a ticket and the other because his girlfriend he lives with was arrested 15 years ago for pot. They delayed my father 3 times because heís a Vietnam vet with ptsd. The commanding officer at the time was an Iraq marine veteran too. Crazy people here.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:27 AM

I started hunting when I was nine. At my current age, I mostly meat hunt at COSCO.

US Army, Retired
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 10-27-2019, 01:01 PM

We hunt with fishing rods in South Florida.
Start them young.
I want to get a pig Pops.... said the kid.
Land meat tastes like muck... advised my boyís new extended families resident Hunter.
Weíll hunt in the Rockies... as they now live in Colorado and like horses..... veterinarians often do.
Long rubber gloves ... great gift idea.

Boats/tackle here...... they know where the fish live and will visit often.
Poached Snook anytime:
Philly Cheese Steak in August. then you sink and siesta.

First solo catch from the lake behind the house in Ď91.
Got his first fishing kayak a few months later... new house bigger water.

Taking an old finger wheelbow #60 out there shortly with a Winchester.
Attached Thumbnails
34EF25F0-3346-4619-9C43-97D68C90EA1B.jpeg  
Old 10-27-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebill View Post
I agree. Thereís a lot of anti 2A here. Funny thing is, as Iím sure you know, Long Island is predominately republican. The 2A crowd call them rinos-republican in name only.
On another ironic turn, I showed my wife the video and she recognized the kid. He went to the school she worked at.
As far as scpd, what did they give you a hard time about? They denied 2 of my friends, one guy because he forgot about a ticket and the other because his girlfriend he lives with was arrested 15 years ago for pot. They delayed my father 3 times because heís a Vietnam vet with ptsd. The commanding officer at the time was an Iraq marine veteran too. Crazy people here.
I had a BS misdemeanor from 2yrs prior to my application, it was a 'FAT'. He asked why I was arrested, but I didn't know I was arrested, technically a 'FAT' is an arrest. HTF should I know that? The guy just harassed me to no end, even comparing my actions to what he would do to his son if his son ever did anything like that (my FAT).

Plenty of Repubes who are anti-gun too.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:47 PM

That is another fine example of what America has come to, and the next step is to attack the hunters. Mark my words, it won't end peacefully.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21/503 View Post
+1. Iíve never been interested in hunting, although I do enjoy collecting and shooting firearms. I do eat meat and I donít have anything against people that hunt ethically. Thatís why God created certain animals.

As a career LEO (now retired) there were times I was able to hunt bad guys, sometimes in the woods and I thoroughly enjoyed it... in fact, Iíve never felt more alive. Those that have been there know what I mean...
on technical level, humans are not animal eaters, they are plant eaters.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:22 PM

People eating anonymously and mechanically raised and slaughtered meat and then crying about hunting are literally insane. Very very stupid people. Itís a shame how stupid America has become.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:

I donít know what you mean by a technical level, but on a scientific level of course humans are evolved to be animal eaters. Our large intestines have shortened, making it harder to digest plant matter.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:
+1. I’ve never been interested in hunting, although I do enjoy collecting and shooting firearms. I do eat meat and I don’t have anything against people that hunt ethically. That’s why God created certain animals.

As a career LEO (now retired) there were times I was able to hunt bad guys, sometimes in the woods and I thoroughly enjoyed it... in fact, I’ve never felt more alive. Those that have been there know what I mean...
Are you familiar with human canine teeth? Know what they’re for?
Old 10-27-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
+1. I’ve never been interested in hunting, although I do enjoy collecting and shooting firearms. I do eat meat and I don’t have anything against people that hunt ethically. That’s why God created certain animals.

As a career LEO (now retired) there were times I was able to hunt bad guys, sometimes in the woods and I thoroughly enjoyed it... in fact, I’ve never felt more alive. Those that have been there know what I mean...
21/503. Retired after 34 years. Yes, I spent numerous occasions tracking down a few bad actors.

Lifelong hunter as well. Your comments are in poor taste. Sport hunting and tracking down humans are two entirely different things, and while necessary at times to take it to conclusion.....shouldn’t be enjoyable, much less anything to crow about.

Poorly done on your part.
Old 10-27-2019, 02:44 PM
Administrator

I never developed any interest in hunting. I'm too much of an animal lover and can't kill something that's not harming me. As a matter of fact I don't even kill spiders and bugs in the house unless they're being a huge nuisance. I catch them in cups and throw them outside or else trap flies in a room and open the window screen to let them out. Having said that however I'm not one to push my morality on other people, and as long as hunting is done legally and responsibly I have no problem with it. I also eat plenty of meat, as those animals were raised for the specific purpose of being food and as a human I'm a natural part of the food chain. Bears and sharks gotta eat, and so do I.

My interest in firearms is mostly collecting, but also recreational shooting and of course the all-important matter of self-preservation. I carry a firearm when hiking out in the woods, and yes I would use it on any wild creature intent on harming me or making me their dinner. But that's the only time I would ever shoot an animal.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.

Last edited by dsk; 10-27-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I never developed any interest in hunting. I'm too much of an animal lover and can't kill something that's not harming me. As a matter of fact I don't even kill spiders and bugs in the house unless they're being a huge nuisance. I catch them in cups and throw them outside or else trap flies in a room and open the window screen to let them out. Having said that however I'm not one to push my morality on other people, and as long as hunting is done legally and responsibly I have no problem with it. I also eat plenty of meat, as those animals were raised for the specific purpose of being food and as a human I'm a natural part of the food chain. Bears and sharks gotta eat, and so do I.

My interest in firearms is mostly collecting, but also recreational shooting and of course the all-important matter of self-preservation. I carry a firearm when hiking out in the woods, and yes I would use it on any wild creature intent on harming me or making me their dinner. But that's the only time I would ever shoot an animal.
When scorpions are on the kitchen floor, we dont cup them to outside, they end up dead

Nature has it's place, but not in my house
Old 10-27-2019, 05:45 PM

Would like to do a trigger job on the old BenjaminSheridan H17 for indoor Winter hunting with just “close air support” sneaking up on bad mesquitos.

wimpy northern, western or wherever visitors ... too cold in South Florida to fish from kayaks but waste time bridge fishing for hours and golf in the Keys???? Funny friends.

Better bait presentation from the boat and always a chance for a ride with a hookup.
We had to buy Hogs and YellowTail .... and tell some Tales.
Blowfish meat cutout safely.... chicken/veal/shrimp like.
Fresh Swords....

Steady “Sea Hunt” ahead as a dock behind the house in the Keys.... a backyard
well stocked Range..... no tumbleweed or rattlers... Jaws!!!

Last edited by Imissedagain; 10-27-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 05:53 PM

I hunted birds and deer for a lot of years, and enjoyed it thoroughly. Don't have the strength to drag a buck out of a swamp any more, and am less keen about shooting something. I do plan on buying a license (supports wildlife programs) but may or may not drop the hammer. I guess I should say I still enjoy being in the woods.