Get your rifles ready - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-29-2019, 05:41 PM

Get your rifles ready

Hunters time to start thinking about your rifle... what you gonna do?
Old 08-29-2019, 06:15 PM

I use a handgun here........if I hunt. Usually I go out of state, in state it's a .50 DE
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 08-29-2019, 06:20 PM

When I was living on Tobaccy Road, the local Bambi assassins would show up at our WMA range, put a couple of rounds into a paper plate at 50yds, and they're good to go.

Not a Glock armorer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2019, 06:37 PM

Winchester carbine in .44 mag....after bow season of course.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Ugh... thanks for reminding me. This is the time of year when the Fudds show up at the local outdoor range with a scoped rifle they haven't fired all year, firing one shot every five minutes as they sight it in, and giving people like me with our AR-15s dirty looks.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:54 PM

I like the 300 Savage model 99, a true deer and elk cart. Worked up a good load for it, I found the loads in a Handloader mag 2002 the lost 30's and rem corelokts 180gr work well also,at 100 yards I can shoot 3 shots touching cloverleaf. Nice a light to carry also, nice action, Something I like about the brass rotary, and the bullet counter window, Savage was ahead of his time. Don't get me wrong the 308 & 30/06 ect... do the job as well. I just like the 300 Savage cart for deer hunting. Aim small hit small. RAMbo.
Old 08-29-2019, 08:51 PM

Been there and done that.

We try to maintain proficiency with all of our favorite rifles year round.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:50 PM

Check the zero of my Model 700 CDL in 270 Winchester that prints 5/8 groups at 100 yards off a rest.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:51 PM

Better drag it out from behind the seat of the truck and chase the spiders out of the hole.... Hope it's got enough bullets still.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:04 PM

I got plenty of rifles but I don't hunt. I live on 115 acres with a lot of deer, turkeys, and coyotes.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:23 PM

Not a rifle, at least for the last couple years. Contender in .30 Herrett.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:40 AM

I'm at the range once or twice a week. I'm done till deer season starts. As DSK mentioned now is the time all of the once a year shooters show up. I was there last week and a guy wanted to get up and walk down to the 100 yd line to see where he hit. I ended up spotting for him to save me some time. Nice guy but still be prepared cause he could have borrowed a spotter from the range. My deer rifle was clean last week, put my usual fouler shots through her an put it away.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:56 AM

I can't understand why anyone would wait until the season is about to open to shoot their rifles. I enjoy shooting rifles and handguns way too much to leave them in the safe all year.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdell49 View Post
I can't understand why anyone would wait until the season is about to open to shoot their rifles. I enjoy shooting rifles and handguns way too much to leave them in the safe all year.
Some like to hunt but don't enjoy just shooting. A guy I hunt with and have known a long time shows up opening weekend a day or 2 early and ask me to shoot his rifle. He knows I spend a lot of time shooting so I get the honors of making sure his rifle is on. That's ok I enjoy it.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunker View Post
Some like to hunt but don't enjoy just shooting.
Agree... 99.9% of the enjoyment from hunting is not shooting. I have had some great hunts and never seen a beast.

That said, when I reflect on the culmination of a season... I like a lot of blood.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunker View Post
Some like to hunt but don't enjoy just shooting.
Yup, and those are the guys who are usually against people owning AR-15s (and sometimes even handguns as well). The news media loves to find gun owners like them to interview and prove that the NRA is completely out of touch with reality.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:33 PM

Tyranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Yup, and those are the guys who are usually against people owning AR-15s (and sometimes even handguns as well). The news media loves to find gun owners like them to interview and prove that the NRA is completely out of touch with reality.
I don’t really think that describes many hunters, but I get your point: if that the one in a million Hunter, starts to say: “all a real man needs is a bow and arrow and nobody needs an AR15 to hunt”... then the MSNBC loves it.

Let me remind everyone, If we are talking about hunting or even self defense as a justification for the Second Amendment, then we are falling into the Left’s trap. That is not why we have the 2A.

As a group, Hunters are not anti gun... far from it. Most Hunters today have figuared out the gun grabbers agenda - they want all guns. I have a funny feeling that hunters who would talk bad about the 2A on social media or MSM are mostly trolls.

Last edited by HarryO45; 08-31-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.E. View Post
Chase the spiders out of the hole.... Hope it's got enough bullets still.
Yep, always a good idea. “I check for spiders” and confirm zero. I use ammo that I carried the following year to rotate all that stuff. After zero, I will pull a snake through, just with some oil. I avoid anything to add scent to the rifle or sling. I keep two identical slings and rotate slings if they get wet. I use ozonics technology on my clothes, boots, pack and even my rifle (especially sling). I replace batteries in my optics and make sure my backup batteries in caps are fresh. I am so ready to kill some deer. I can’t wait.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Yep, always a good idea. “I check for spiders” and confirm zero. I use ammo that I carried the following year to rotate all that stuff. After zero, I will pull a snake through, just with some oil. I avoid anything to add scent to the rifle or sling. I keep two identical slings and rotate slings if they get wet. I use ozonics technology on my clothes, boots, pack and even my rifle (especially sling). I replace batteries in my optics and make sure my backup batteries in caps are fresh. I am so ready to kill some deer. I can’t wait.
If you want to come out to Ohio I got a ton of them on the farm. On most day I can sit on the back porch and see at least 10-12 in the field. Nobody hunts the farm so they think they are safe.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:45 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
Yep, always a good idea. “I check for spiders” and confirm zero.
That reminds me of a story I once heard where a guy watched a wasp fly around in his living room, then saw it land on the muzzle of his racked shotgun and enter the barrel. He took the shotgun off the rack, and sure enough the barrel was plugged with their nest! Had he fired it that way it would've come as nasty surprise for insect and human alike.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
That reminds me of a story I once heard where a guy watched a wasp fly around in his living room, then saw it land on the muzzle of his racked shotgun and enter the barrel. He took the shotgun off the rack, and sure enough the barrel was plugged with their nest! Had he fired it that way it would've come as nasty surprise for insect and human alike.
The original BeeHive Round

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeh...ersonnel_round
Old 09-01-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
If you want to come out to Ohio I got a ton of them on the farm. On most day I can sit on the back porch and see at least 10-12 in the field. Nobody hunts the farm so they think they are safe.
Wow. Thank you. My Dad was a Buckeye. I was born in Ohio. Have not been in that neck of the woods in a long time. I have plenty of Hunt down here, but maybe in the future. Thanks again. I shoot a .450 and I believe that was inspired in OH so I got what I need. I you want to hunt down here let me know, I am booked this year, but next year might work.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:20 PM

I'll sight in my .270 to be 2" high 100 yards [weatherby vanguard s2: won it in a raffle and even if I paid going rate it's a. fine rifle] and a winchester 94AE 30-30 @ 100 yards or closer. I'll sight in my 6" .357 and 6" .41 too, just in case.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
I'm next door in PA. greetings!
Old 09-01-2019, 03:46 PM

Each year I pull out my Browning gold medallion in 7mag with a Burris signature 3x9, have never had to adjust it in 15 years, but will always check it out every year,I also have friends that are more hunters than shooters. I know they would hunt if they had to use a stone, not me I hunt for the chance to make a good shot, that's what I remember, I also enjoy the fellowship when they come to my range to shoot in their deer rifles, one of my favorite times of the year. WIMPY