Aegis Elite Pro - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-18-2019, 10:48 PM

Aegis Elite Pro

I'm thinking about buying a Aegis Elite Pro in 9mm. What tuning parts/springs should I consider after the break in period?

I hear people complain about Kimber's quality control... Is this a real thing? Or just a bunch of old school tom foolery?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2019, 05:58 AM

I've got the Aegis Elite Ultra 9mm and it's been great right out of the box.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:44 PM

I have the Aegis Elite Custom and it hasn't missed a beat. I swapped the trigger out for an EGW after about 6 or 700 rounds and couldn't be happier. The original trigger wasn't bad I just wanted to try something different. I've been buying Kimbers off and on since about 2005 or so and the build quality is considerably better now that it was then. I have a CDP that I bought new in 2007 and you can see how much better the fit and finish is on the newer Kimbers I have.

Last edited by mliebs8; 06-28-2019 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 01:37 PM

Another Aegis Elite Custom (OI) 9mm here, and the same feelings....shot great right out of the box. Have done zip to mine other than polish the barrel and feed ramp prior to sending it off to the Mothership for the recall.

Right at 500+ rounds downrange without any fuss whatsoever, and looking forward to it's return. Eight Kimbers here, this is the first encounter with their CS ever....so far, so good.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoytheride01 View Post
I'm thinking about buying a Aegis Elite Pro in 9mm. What tuning parts/springs should I consider after the break in period?

I hear people complain about Kimber's quality control... Is this a real thing? Or just a bunch of old school tom foolery?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
I think I would complete the break in, and then, IF IT NEEDS ANY UPGRADING/TUNING, decide what to do....It may need nothing.

As far as QC, Kimber produces a LOT of guns, and occasionaly a bad one with slip through. My four Kimbers have been pretty well problem free after break in, and the only one that I had to send back was completely my fault. I told Kimber it was my fault when I called them about fixing it, and they still paid for the repair and shipping both ways......That's customer service that is hard to beat.....Oh, and did I mention eight days from when I shipped it to when I had it back?

YMMV

Lon
Old 07-13-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelhunde View Post
I think I would complete the break in, and then, IF IT NEEDS ANY UPGRADING/TUNING, decide what to do....It may need nothing.
This. You may get a clean crisp trigger right out of the box.. or you may find something objectionable. Won't know until you get familiar with it.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:04 AM

A friend has one that does very well... after he got the magazine I recommended.

What recall?
Old 07-13-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
My Aegis needed work on the MSH: checkering rough and sharp to the bottom; it would claw its way through any “cover garment”; worse, it was an effective shirt-ratchet. But the fix was very easy: replace the checkered, sharp, flat MSH with a serrated, arched MSH. Now any print it makes looks like I need to lose some weight ... right where I still -do- need to lose some weight and no shirt-ratchetting.

Unless they’ve changed the finish since mine was made*: be aware, it’s very soft and fragile. As a CCW, it won’t look new for long.

*- current photos look much different, so they may have changed that finish.

Quote:
Looks to me as though Kimber went from better-than-average quality focus amongst mid-range mftrs to typical of the mid-range. When I bought my first Kimbers, the company treated build quality issues seriously: a phone call would get put through to somebody I could tell by question and answer, was a person who -knew- how the firearm in question was -supposed- to work. Later contacts became more typical of “customer service”* interactions. Kimber repute took a serious hit with their poor execution of the external extractor: that soured many on Kimber. After buying an -expensive- (for a Kimber) pistol, having to send it back to Kimber to fix FTXs 1 of 5 shots and getting it back doing FTXs 1 of 8 shots: I saw it as Kimber losing its focus on quality. They may have recovered IDK ... my Aegis Pro has had no problems aside from those *minor* issues cited above and I’ve read many glowing reviews of the Aegis line. Those minor issues seemed annoying immediately after shelling out $s for it; but it runs and shoots well - years later, not so annoying.

HtH
Old 07-13-2019, 11:19 AM

^^^^^

Not questioning your experiences at all, but as far as I can tell according to the internet every single gun manufacturer has gone to pot and doesn't build things anything like they used to.

I will leave to you to "do the math".

"If you want peace, prepare for war."
Old 07-13-2019, 04:17 PM

My Aegis Elite Custom ,in 45, has been trouble free since day one. Glad I bought it.
Tomcatt
COTEP #022