STI extractor replacement - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 05-27-2019, 01:57 PM

STI extractor replacement

Im patiently waiting for my replacement STI extractor for my 4.0 Tactical .45. Does anyone know how much fitting will be required once it arrives? Im sure it will need to be tuned for proper tension, but what about for fitting? Is the hook already pre-profiled needing only minor touch up work? Is the back face already blended or will I need to blend into the slide? Thanks for any info.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut View Post
Im patiently waiting for my replacement STI extractor for my 4.0 Tactical .45. Does anyone know how much fitting will be required once it arrives? Im sure it will need to be tuned for proper tension, but what about for fitting? Is the hook already pre-profiled needing only minor touch up work? Is the back face already blended or will I need to blend into the slide? Thanks for any info.
pnut:
While I've never had to replace an STI extractor, I definitely think your question would get more replies/info in the gunsmithing section of the forum.

Also, if your going to fit this yourself, Steve has an excellent sticky with tons of information:

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=829865

Good Luck!
Old 05-27-2019, 02:30 PM

Great info GUNSnHOGS. I don’t mind doing the fitting work, I just wanted to be prepared for how much work I will need to do with the STI part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnut View Post
Great info GUNSnHOGS. I dont mind doing the fitting work, I just wanted to be prepared for how much work I will need to do with the STI part.
I've got a Staccato P in 9mm, and the factory extractor works flawlessly......so not at all familiar with the .45acp version. But, I feel confident your STI part will be first quality and only need checking for fit/function.

That article by Steve in Allentown should give you enough info to at least get your extractor installed and functioning.

IMO, Weigand offers some great tools for checking and adjusting extractor tension:

https://www.jackweigand.com/eat.html

BTW: there's several threads running in the Gunsmithing section of the forum with some excellent reading!

Good luck!
Old 05-27-2019, 05:01 PM

I requested and received a warranty replacement extractor for my 9mm Costa.
I did some tuning and a little buffing on the “hook”; the back end was very close.
STI wanted the slide back for fitting, but we had a class scheduled and it wouldn’t have been back. It’s close enough that it doesn’t bother me.
The original extractor wouldn’t hold its set, I’m guessing the heat treat was off. Replacement has been 100% since install.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:18 PM

The hook on my stock extractor broke off and I contacted STI on Thursday. They sent one out, but with the holiday, who know when it will arrive. I’m just itching to get my gun back up and running!!!
Old 05-28-2019, 01:15 AM

I've only bought one extractor as a replacement, my match gun starting failing at about 3k rounds, I retensioned it but found the hook to be way too long so I shortened it and removed some off the pad to get the proper tension and it's been fine. The replacement has too long of hook too but has a different pad on it.
On the other hand I have a HOST in 45 that couldn't make it through 3 rounds without a malfunction and had to completely rework the extractor, and that was a new gun.
I have a dozen STI's and the rest have been flawless, so who knows...
Old 05-28-2019, 01:46 AM

Markm, what part of the extractor is the PAD? I’m not too familiar with all the names of the parts.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:13 AM

Pad is indicated as "E" in below diagram. It is what limits extractor travel inward to the breechface.

I haven't installed too many replacement STI extractors because I tend to replace a broken part with a better part, but none of them needed more than a little minor beveling of the hook surfaces. Also please note that 9mm/38/40 extractors are different in dimensions than .45 extractors.

Last edited by ken_mays; 05-28-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:44 AM

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2019, 05:18 PM

I received the STI extractor today and just finished fitting/installing it. It required a bit of fitting to get it just right, but I expected that from a “custom” gun part. Definitely not drop in...

First, the lower edges of he “hook” had to be profiled. They came 90 degrees from the factory. The thickness, or overhang of the hook had to be filed down too. Since my gun is a .45, it’s not suppose to touch the shell casing body.

The length of the hook had to be shorted a hair also. It just touched the barrel at lockup.

Finally, the back face needs to be blended with the back of the slide. I’ll wait till after I test fire the gun before I do this because that is purely aesthetic.

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Old 05-29-2019, 04:12 PM

Tested out the new STI extractor today. I put 300 round without a hitch! Thx everyone for all the advice!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:39 PM

Good deal, run it like you stole it!!!!