Chronographs - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-15-2019, 03:54 PM

Chronographs

I'm looking for opinions, based on experience, of the various chronographs on the market.

Thank you.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:16 PM
1911 Aficionado

For hobbyist use the Shooting Chrony chronos are great.
I have the basic model, with built-in display (only), but there are models with remote displays and other features, depending on how much you want to spend.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:41 PM

I have the Shooting Chrony Gamma Master model and the CEC ProChrono Digital with the Blue Tooth link. I’ve had the Shooting Chrony for many years and the CEC ProChrono for a couple of years.
Shooting Chrony
The Good:
My model comes with a separate printer and remote display/controller. The printer is great, in that I can just print out the test data and statistics:individual shot MV, high, low, average, extreme spread and standard deviations. I then just staple the print out to my targets for later analysis. The Chrony has a capacity of 50 strings of 10 rounds each. It’s compact, folds in half. Saves your data till cleared. Durable, unless you shoot it (which I did - 38 Super made a mess of it). The Company replaced it for $99.00.
The Bad:
The Software architecture is old and old fashion. The sub menus have sub menus and are accessed via many sequential button pushes. The instructions are vague and difficult to read and understand. I found my unit (both of them) to be overly sensitive to sunlight, uses of sky screen and shot placement (in relation to height above the sensors. multiple questionable reading are not uncommon. My units output data has become questionable.

CEC ProDigital Chrony with Blue Tooth link.
The Good:
Easy to use and set up out of the box. Simple instructions. Blue tooth link works with your cell phone or iPad (you need to download thier free software). It has a display on the unit front but using your phone or iPad, you get all the data and stats at your finger tips. Capacity is 9 strings of 99 shots each. Then you clear it for more data, however all the blue tooth linked data is saved to your phone or iPad.
The Bad:
Since it’s all plastic, a 357 Sig makes a bigger mess of it the a 38 Super thru the Shooting Chrony.

Hope this helps.

"That which you come by too easily, you value too lightly."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2019, 07:41 AM

I have a LabRadar Chronograph and I like it quite a bit. I used to use a optical chronograph that I still have but it isn't as easy to use as the LabRadar unit. You just set it up next to you on the range and you are ready to go. Depending on the caliber used, it can tell you the bullet velocity out to 100 yards too.
https://mylabradar.com/
Old 02-16-2019, 08:51 AM

I started with one of the blue box shooting chrony that unfolds. This, for me was not easy to operate. Next I went to the CED chronograph. https://www.cedhk.com/ced-m2-chronograph This unit was way to sensitive to position and sun (or lack of) position. At the latitude that I live, this unit simply would not operate reliably from mid November until mid January. Next I went to the Caldwell G2 https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cald...-G/2223292.uts
This unit has NEVER failed me for the 2 years that I have had it. I down loaded the app. on my Android phone to record everything. Ki can edit if I choose, then I print. I can do all this at the range and when I get home the printed sheets are waiting on my printer.
I highly recommend this unit, also because it is "upside down" compared to others, you are less likely to shoot it.
Old 02-16-2019, 09:42 AM

chronographs

Thank you all for the helpful replies.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:25 PM

Itís ironic in the timing of this thread. Just a couple of weeks ago I unearthed and old Chrony brand cronograph that a friend had passed on to me nearly 10 years ago along with all of his other reloading equipment. The chrony hadnít been used since around 1985. I just put a new battery in it, and low and behold it works. For difusers (if needed) it uses 2 cardboard pieces inserted into the frame of the Chrony. The display just simply lists the velocity, but it does work. I had never before been able to tell if my main 9mm range round was close to the published load data specs, but itís spot on. 124 gr berrys RN over 4.0 of Titegroup. Right at 1108 fps out of a 4 inch barrel S&W.

NRA Life Member, Patron Level
Old 02-16-2019, 01:57 PM

I like Labradar. I have older style optical ones as well, but they can be temperamental as well if not proper light conditions.

My only complaint on the Labradar is the sighting notch. I might mount a cheap red dot on it.

Another option is the magneto speed for rifle. I would only use one of these if you can mount it on the stock and not on the barrel.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:30 PM

I have a LabRadar and it works well. I have a couple inch section of drinking straw that I secure in the aiming notch to help with the sighting.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor481 View Post
I have a LabRadar and it works well. I have a couple inch section of drinking straw that I secure in the aiming notch to help with the sighting.
Going to steal this idea!
Old 02-17-2019, 07:13 AM

I have the Oehler 35P and it lives up to it's reputation. A laber radar is on my list though. The 35P while accurate is old school by todays standards. I've never had any issues with it and it doesn't seem to be light sensitive like so many other optical chronys. Comes with the tri-pods and everything you need but setup takes a bit of work and of course as with any optical chrony you take the chance of bullet hits.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:36 AM

Went forever without a chrono and then decided to buy a LabRadar a little over a year ago. I’ve been very happy with it. Very easy to set up and use and you can download to you computer very easily, also. Well worth the price.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-17-2019, 09:40 AM

I have the Caldwell G2 and Labradar. I got the Labradar for it's ease of use/setup at the range. For safety/range rule reasons, the Caldwell can be a PITA to set up.

Both units have a smartphone app, but the Caldwell is head and shoulders above/better than the Labradar in terms of function and usefulness. The Labradar app is good enough to get the job done and I hope they improve in the future.

One other downside to the Labradar is battery life. It's recommended to get USB battery pack...I got mine off Amazon for $25 and it eliminates the battery issue.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black sunshine View Post
I have the Caldwell G2 and Labradar. I got the Labradar for it's ease of use/setup at the range. For safety/range rule reasons, the Caldwell can be a PITA to set up.

Both units have a smartphone app, but the Caldwell is head and shoulders above/better than the Labradar in terms of function and usefulness. The Labradar app is good enough to get the job done and I hope they improve in the future.

One other downside to the Labradar is battery life. It's recommended to get USB battery pack...I got mine off Amazon for $25 and it eliminates the battery issue.
LabRadar promised the smartphone app for a long time before it came. Glad it did and I actually need to check to see if there is an additional update. I also use a small battery pack which is more than enough power for numerous range trips.

NRA Patron Life Member
Old 02-17-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apipeguy View Post
LabRadar promised the smartphone app for a long time before it came. Glad it did and I actually need to check to see if there is an additional update. I also use a small battery pack which is more than enough power for numerous range trips.
I wish the Labradar app had the ability to create templates for each gun/caliber, give strings a custom name, and add notes to a string. Just the ability re rename a shot string would be helpful...as it is, I write down the string number and what I was shooting in a notebook. Despite those complaints, the Labradar was worth the extra $$ for me due to the ease of setup, velocity tracking out to 100yds, and smaller form factor.
Old 02-17-2019, 11:02 AM

I have a ProChrono Digital.
It has a large "window" and is simple to operate.
It also puts the brains downrange subject to being shot - they replaced it for half price - and the wired remote recently failed for the second time.

I have a CED Millennium I.
Lots of bells and whistles, only the sensors exposed to gunfire.
Lots of wires to connect, needs the illuminators for most lighting conditions.

If I were doing as much chronographing as I used to, it would be LabRadar all the way.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:55 AM

Chronographs

The major issue with many chronographs not functioning correctly is often caused by direct sunlight hitting the sensors.....many companies have diffusers that attach to the chronograph to help reduce improper velocity readings.

I purchased the original "green" folding Chrony chronograph about 35 years or so ago, and it still works and functions properly....however, I don't let others shoot over it, and I prefer to keep it that way. I am glad to help others by shooting their guns, but I always take a few sighter shots first to make sure my POA is proper for the POI..... I have never hit or damaged my Chrony sensors.

I only use my Crony about once or twice a year. I devised a two piece 1/4" plywood shade cover that fits over and attaches to the unit to help reduce incorrect velocity readings, and it works great. Even with the plywood shade, it still fits in a large shoebox, and is extremely portable. If the sunlight is low to the horizon, I may staple a cardboard USPSA target to the top of the plywood shade cover to create more shade over the sensors..... I spent $99 for my Chrony 35 years ago, and I think they are still retail for about the same price.

If a person uses a chronograph all the time, the better and more expensive models my be best, but sell for a higher retail price.....it all depends on how often a shooter uses a chronograph.
Attached Thumbnails
Customized Chrony chronograph.jpg  
Old 02-18-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwehavinfunyet View Post
The major issue with many chronographs not functioning correctly is often caused by direct sunlight hitting the sensors.....many companies have diffusers that attach to the chronograph to help reduce improper velocity readings.

I purchased the original "green" folding Chrony chronograph about 35 years or so ago, and it still works and functions properly....however, I don't let others shoot over it, and I prefer to keep it that way. I am glad to help others by shooting their guns, but I always take a few sighter shots first to make sure my POA is proper for the POI..... I have never hit or damaged my Chrony sensors.

I only use my Crony about once or twice a year. I devised a two piece 1/4" plywood shade cover that fits over and attaches to the unit to help reduce incorrect velocity readings, and it works great. Even with the plywood shade, it still fits in a large shoebox, and is extremely portable. If the sunlight is low to the horizon, I may staple a cardboard USPSA target to the top of the plywood shade cover to create more shade over the sensors..... I spent $99 for my Chrony 35 years ago, and I think they are still retail for about the same price.

If a person uses a chronograph all the time, the better and more expensive models my be best, but sell for a higher retail price.....it all depends on how often a shooter uses a chronograph.
Your Chrony looks to be very similar to the one I was given and tried out over the weekend. Your single cardboard difuser setup is definitely umique. I have 2 of the cardboard difusers which must carefully be slid into slots in the framework of the Chrony. When I tried mine out Saturday, it was bright outside from the snow cover, but overcast, so it read the velocities without having to use the difusers.

NRA Life Member, Patron Level