Ruger Redhawk 45LC/45ACP Model #5032 - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-19-2018, 06:36 PM

Ruger Redhawk 45LC/45ACP Model #5032

Anyone have one of these? I bought one from Grab A Gun and it is on its way back to the factory. Gun looks great and the carry up is quick and positive. The cylinder lock up is very good. I sent the gun back because the single action pull is creepy and over 8lbs. The double action is also heavy around 14lbs. I had a Redhawk 44 for years and it was really nice. Single action trigger was a crisp 4lbs and double action was 11lbs. I understand there is only 1 action spring. I called the factory and was told the single action spec. is 3.5 to 7lbs. That is one heck of a variation. When I ask could they set my single action pull at 4lbs the customer rep. told me they would probably change a few parts and if it came in at the spec. range 3.5 to 7lbs they would send it back even if it was 7lbs because it would be in spec. I requested they keep a check on the carry up because it was very good and he said he could only guarantee it would be in spec. Seems to me they have a lot of variation in what they consider in spec. Primer strikes are very good using 45lc and very faint with 45acp. I hope I can get some replies from other 45lc/45acp Redhawk owners.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:29 PM

If it's not to your liking when you get it back, the spring can be bent to adjust tension or Power Hammer (?) Sell spring kit.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:22 PM

I have one ... single action trigger is very heavy, double action feels OK. I donít have a scale so canít give specifics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buyamerican View Post
Anyone have one of these? I bought one from Grab A Gun and it is on its way back to the factory. Gun looks great and the carry up is quick and positive. The cylinder lock up is very good. I sent the gun back because the single action pull is creepy and over 8lbs. The double action is also heavy around 14lbs. I had a Redhawk 44 for years and it was really nice. Single action trigger was a crisp 4lbs and double action was 11lbs. I understand there is only 1 action spring. I called the factory and was told the single action spec. is 3.5 to 7lbs. That is one heck of a variation. When I ask could they set my single action pull at 4lbs the customer rep. told me they would probably change a few parts and if it came in at the spec. range 3.5 to 7lbs they would send it back even if it was 7lbs because it would be in spec. I requested they keep a check on the carry up because it was very good and he said he could only guarantee it would be in spec. Seems to me they have a lot of variation in what they consider in spec. Primer strikes are very good using 45lc and very faint with 45acp. I hope I can get some replies from other 45lc/45acp Redhawk owners.
One lesson there is that Ruger is not in the business of fine tuning or customizing guns. When you get it back, it may still need work for which they don't take responsibility. One scary spec is what they consider acceptable throat diameter, when I don't believe they bore their own cylinders. My Redhawk had excess pressure until I discovered tight throats and had them reamed. The gun is so-o-o much better to shoot now, and cases pop right out, even with heavy, Ruger-only loads.

Last edited by RealGun; 10-20-2018 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:18 AM

I had to send mine to Ruger The day it arrived at my dealer.

Front sight noticeably canted left.

45 ACP was rough dropping into cylinder. Brass had to be pried out of ejector star after firing.

45LC dropped right in and all came free on ejection but one. I believe the star is out of spec and causing issue for both calibers.

I love the moonclips. They are pricey but you don’t need loading or unloading tool.

I shot full power ACP and LC loads with just the stock grips and it felt fine, I will not be buying rubber grips.

Overall, I think it is a mass produced gun with two small issues that will be corrected.

P.S. I noticed that Hickock45 had issues getting ACP rounds to go in so again, it is probably just a minor issue while machining the ejector star.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:52 AM

What are the correct chamber throat size? I guess I should forget about trying a 14lb Wolff hammer spring. I agree with "Real Gun" Ruger does not tune anything they just change parts. The timing is very good on this gun and I hope they don't foul it up. After talking with the customer service rep there spec's are all over the place. For you folks that have one do you have any ingnition problems when using the moon clips? My primer strikes were fine with 45colt but looked a little light with 45acp. I feel Rugers QC is not up to what it used to be. Thanks for all your replies.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:02 AM

If the cylinder throats are correct to function with a .451 factory jacketed round, then I wouldn't bank on Ruger opening them. The Ruger 45 revolvers function just fine at that spec with factory jacketed ammo.
If the trigger weight is in their safe specified range, then I wouldn't think they would lighten it. However, they may smooth it out if they deem necessary.
I'm having a similar issue with a Ruger Blackhawk convertable 45colt/acp. I'll be opening the cylinder throats to .4525 in the near future. Until then, I'll likely just let the gun slumber in its case. All my ammo is .452 cast.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
What are the correct chamber throat size? I guess I should forget about trying a 14lb Wolff hammer spring. I agree with "Real Gun" Ruger does not tune anything they just change parts. The timing is very good on this gun and I hope they don't foul it up. After talking with the customer service rep there spec's are all over the place. For you folks that have one do you have any ingnition problems when using the moon clips? My primer strikes were fine with 45colt but looked a little light with 45acp. I feel Rugers QC is not up to what it used to be. Thanks for all your replies.
What ammo do you use? Winchester primers are very hard and can be tough to ignite. If there is anything causing your hammer or it's spring to bind, this can exasterbate the problem.

Oh, and .451 is the throat spec IIRC, which is too tight for most cast loads, but just right for factory jacketed.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:37 PM

Using Fiocchi and Winchester White Box 23ogr. ball.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
You might try thicker moon clips to move the primer closer to the firing pin.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:16 AM

After researching some of the problems with this model I have became very concerened. Increasing main spring from stock 17lb to a 30 or 40lb Bowen spring change to a Bowen long firing pin and then if all that does not work trim the top of the hammer. Makes me wonder if Ruger should abandon this model. I agree a lot of them must work but it seems a lot of them have problems which includes other calibers the worst being the #5032 model. The Ruger rep. attitude it is what is has me worried also. With the very light primer strikes when using the moon clips now makes me think there will be problems down the road. The #5032 model is not discontinued and will be replaced with model #5050 which is the same gun with a sleeved barrel. You can't make anything but so cheap be for it will not be reliable.

Last edited by buyamerican; 10-21-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: wrong new model number
Old 10-21-2018, 11:22 AM

I don't have the .45Colt/ACP model but I did buy two of the limited edition .41 Magnums in 4.25" and 2.5" a couple of years ago.

Cosmetically and function of both are flawless...the 4.25" has THE best action of any Redhawk I have ever fired and easily as smooth and controllable as any S&W. Shooting DA the 2.5" however while smooth breaks way later than 4.25" which will cause my trigger finger to contact the rear of the trigger guard and sometimes get pinched...

Bob
Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 AM

It may be worth while to give it a try with Federal ammunition. Federal primers will ignite more reliably in guns I have that are prone to light strikes.

I recently had a conversation about this with a ballistician at Starline. He also recemended this.

I hate to think a new Ruger revolver is picky about ammo, but it appears to be the case.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:15 AM

I like the very last sentence on "Slow bullet guy". Ruger has to be aware of the problem with this model yet they don't seem to take steps to correct it because it may take a few cents and training folks that this model takes these firing pins, hammers etc. I feel it's all about the profit on the bottom line. From what I was told if they can't change a part you are out of luck, no polishing or fitting is or will be done. I really am not interested in a pistol that has to have one kind of ammo or primer.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:05 AM

Ruger sent an email that my Redhawk would be shipping soon. They had to replace the extractor, pawl and hammer which was out of spec. You would have thought the QC would have caught this? I was told the factory single action pull is 3.5 to 7lbs. After replacing these parts I was told the single action pull was 5.0 lbs. I am worried they have messed up the carry up (timing) and cylinder lock up. The customer service people like to use words like adaquate and in spec. a lot. There in spec seems to be all over the place.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow bullet guy View Post
It may be worth while to give it a try with Federal ammunition. Federal primers will ignite more reliably in guns I have that are prone to light strikes.

I recently had a conversation about this with a ballistician at Starline. He also recemended this.

I hate to think a new Ruger revolver is picky about ammo, but it appears to be the case.
I don't think a Redhawk with its single mainspring is going to light strike unless the mainspring has been changed to be too light. This gun will never have the DA pull of your dreams. I had to learn to shoot mine. When I bought it used and customized, the spring was mushy feeling. I put the original back in and left it. Actually I shoot it single action most the time.

Again, light striking only with moonclips suggests the primer is not being held close enough to the firing pin.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:32 PM

Ruger is very much aware of the problems with this gun.
An extended firing pin is a better solution than messing with springs.

I worked with two of 'em when they first came out & discussed issues with two product managers there.
I had no misfire problem with several ACP rounds in either gun, but the first did have too-large chamber mouths. The second was corrected.

It can be made to work, but the hybrid design of the model requires extra attention for best results.
Denis
Old 10-30-2018, 07:08 PM

Just got mine back; two week turn around. The pawl was replaced on mine as well. Plus barrel was clocked properly this time. Grips were replaced due to a minute scratch and gun was polished after test firing.

Shot great in both calibers. Only issue was two first time fail to fire in acp but these were Win WB. They both went bang second time. I suspect ammo, not gun, issue. Either way, bought to shoot with 45 Colt primarily anyway.

I am happy now!
Old 10-31-2018, 10:26 AM

Falmike did you try the moon clips any more? If so what brand ammo? I have a bunch of WWB and it works fine in my 1911's and Sig p220. Never had a misfire. I don't expect this pistol to be as accurate as a model 625 or 25 in 45acp. but I do expect it to fire with any decent factory ammo. Unlike most owners will use this pistol with 45lc ammo but I will use it mostly with 45acp. At bowling pin matches the distance is short so I think it would be fine for this. Thanks to all how have responed. Any additional information will be appreciated.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Ruger sent an email that my Redhawk would be shipping soon. They had to replace the extractor, pawl and hammer which was out of spec. You would have thought the QC would have caught this? I was told the factory single action pull is 3.5 to 7lbs. After replacing these parts I was told the single action pull was 5.0 lbs. I am worried they have messed up the carry up (timing) and cylinder lock up. The customer service people like to use words like adaquate and in spec. a lot. There in spec seems to be all over the place.
The Ruger SA revolvers are pretty nice and at one point I was really excited about the GP-100 but I have in general found their DA revolvers lacking in the fit and finish which are so important to achieving the best accuracy from a hand gun.

I have a SP-101 and I believe it should have been sold as a kit due to the amount of time it took just to get the trigger from abominable to acceptable. It wasn't anything challenging but some polishing and new springs were required.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:58 PM

I had a couple of Alaskans that were good but overall I think Rugers Single actions and there MK series of 22 semi autos is where they shine. I would not buy or recommened a new Redhawk, just my opinion. There 10/22's are also good. I have a Wolff spring kit but I think it may be useless even with the heaviest 14lb spring. I hope to hear from Falmike in reguards to using the moon clips. I appears they know about the problem but can't or want fix it. Bowen claims he can get it up and running good for $400.00 + dollars. I also never expected the double action to be like a S&W. I just want it to fire quality factory 45acp ammo in double action.

Last edited by buyamerican; 10-31-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: spelling/ add comment
Old 10-31-2018, 07:25 PM

It's funny, the PC Carbine is getting great reviews but you're right. I don't need it to be as good as an old S&W like my -57 but dang, for the prices they're getting they can afford to up their game on the DA revolvers. They're not that far off so with just a little more finesse in the surface finishing of the internals and a bit more attention to detail screwing in the barrels and 90% of the complaints would be silenced.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Falmike did you try the moon clips any more? If so what brand ammo? I have a bunch of WWB and it works fine in my 1911's and Sig p220. Never had a misfire. I don't expect this pistol to be as accurate as a model 625 or 25 in 45acp. but I do expect it to fire with any decent factory ammo. Unlike most owners will use this pistol with 45lc ammo but I will use it mostly with 45acp. At bowling pin matches the distance is short so I think it would be fine for this. Thanks to all how have responed. Any additional information will be appreciated.
I have not been back out yet. Ammo was WWB. Before I sent it in, I shot three moon clips full of hand loads without issue. Winchester primers.

I REALLY like the Ruger moon clips. Pricey hut no tool required to load or unload.

Best to you
Old 11-01-2018, 10:07 PM

My experience with Ruger DA revolvers is that after they discontinued the Security Six in the mid-1980s everything has gone downhill.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Old 11-02-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
My experience with Ruger DA revolvers is that after they discontinued the Security Six in the mid-1980s everything has gone downhill.
My Match Champion GP100 shoots really well, and I like it a lot. For me, it handles the more powerful stuff better than the Security Six I sold. No pain, no fighting to control. The Lett style grip I use is an important element in that.