Advice on a barrel swap - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-05-2018, 03:53 PM

Advice on a barrel swap

My first 1911 was a desert eagle 1911G. Since then I've purchased 8 others from colt, Dan Wesson, Baer and wilson. I've come to appreciate certain things the DE lacks. One place it excelled was accuracy. Problem is, it doesn't like the swc ammo all my other pistols feed and shoot well. I have a colt n.m. barrel out of my rail gun that dropped in but has a significant gap on the inside of the hood. Is that a problem other than aesthetics? I am only considering the colt barrel because of the dimple they put in the throat that helps feeding. So a few things

1. Who is Bul and are their barrels comparable to a colt drop in n.m. barrel?
2. Will the hood gap on the inside be a safety issue?
3. If you think i should just stick with the original DE barrel, what can i do to help feed swc more reliably. It's the only one that gives me issues.
My plan with this gun is to use 1 of the 2 barrels based off the recommendations of you guys. Fit a left over kart bushing i have from my xact fit barrel(that got an egw fit to it). New thumb safety. Its horribly sloppy. New grip safety. Its fit terribly with huge gaps. Blend the rear of the slide and frame. Oddly enough, the slide to frame fit is tight, but the slide sticks off the back a bit. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebill View Post
My first 1911 was a desert eagle 1911G. Since then I've purchased 8 others from colt, Dan Wesson, Baer and wilson. I've come to appreciate certain things the DE lacks. One place it excelled was accuracy. Problem is, it doesn't like the swc ammo all my other pistols feed and shoot well. I have a colt n.m. barrel out of my rail gun that dropped in but has a significant gap on the inside of the hood. Is that a problem other than aesthetics? I am only considering the colt barrel because of the dimple they put in the throat that helps feeding. So a few things

1. Who is Bul and are their barrels comparable to a colt drop in n.m. barrel?

Odd question....I feel like you may be joking but,

A Bull Barrel in a 5" 1911 is a barrel that doesn't use a bushing. You'll see this style used in USPSA Competition.

They're also used in short barrel 1911's from the factory.

Its fit directly to the slide.

NRA Life Member, Washington Arms Collectors Member, TR&RC Member, GOA Member, IDPA A457315, USPSA A91246. USPSA CRO
Old 03-05-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wa Jim View Post
Odd question....I feel like you may be joking but,

A Bull Barrel in a 5" 1911 is a barrel that doesn't use a bushing. You'll see this style used in USPSA Competition.

They're also used in short barrel 1911's from the factory.

Its fit directly to the slide.
Bul. One L. They're an Israeli weapons manufacturer that make the desert eagle 1911. I know some barrels are better than others, kart and bar-sto for example. I've heard that colts are held in high regard, but i wasnt sure what the feelings on bul parts was. I am also mainly concerned with the gap on the inside of the hood. The rear and right side are tight. Sorry for the confusion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2018, 07:43 PM

Pictures would help. A small gap at the side of the barrel hood (if thatís what you are referring to) isnít likely to be a safety issue - but could impact accuracy. If the barrel rides or stands on the link the gap will probably result in inconsistent lock-up.

As far as feeding SWC, itís difficult to diagnose from afar. Changing magazines (depending on feed lip design) may improve functioning by altering the release point. Ensuring the barrel ramp doesnít overhang the feed ramp could eliminate this as a cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2018, 04:23 AM

I'd think that if the new(ish) barrel fits well on top of the slide stop (that is, mechanically captured well between the slide stop pin and the upper lugs), you might have a chance of decent accuracy. If that fit is a loose fit, then the hood fit may allow the barrel a fair amount of movement from shot to shot and accuracy would likely suffer. You'd also want to check upper lug engagement and firing pin alignment.

One of my 1st barrel fit attemtps led to a hard fit between upper and lower lugs, but a looser than intended fit for the hood ... but it's proven to be quite accurate for my purposes (and reliable).

If you have the time, a new barrel purpose fit to your DE might offer the best outcome.
Old 03-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebill View Post
Bul. One L. They're an Israeli weapons manufacturer that make the desert eagle 1911. I know some barrels are better than others, kart and bar-sto for example. I've heard that colts are held in high regard, but i wasnt sure what the feelings on bul parts was. I am also mainly concerned with the gap on the inside of the hood. The rear and right side are tight. Sorry for the confusion.

Ahhhh,

See I knew there was a hitch....

Nevermind

Picture of the gap in question would help,,,,

NRA Life Member, Washington Arms Collectors Member, TR&RC Member, GOA Member, IDPA A457315, USPSA A91246. USPSA CRO
Old 03-06-2018, 10:14 PM

From an accuracy standpoint. Dropping in a barrel with no fitting is not a good idea. Safety -- you will have to judge. BUL is an Israeli company. They have introduced a compact aluminum frame 1911 in the US market. No experience with them.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:03 AM

Best to work on the barrel that was already fitted to the gun. Using a drop-in barrel from another gun (especially when you may want to continue to use that barrel in that gun) isn't the right solution.

There are some common approaches to get SWCs to feed. The easiest one is to try several different styles of magazines with different feed lip geometry. If you're loading the ammo yourself, try adjusting the OAL. The feed ramp on the barrel can be modified if necessary, as well.
Old 03-11-2018, 10:53 AM

I can't seem to get pics on here, so I'm sorry about that. As far as adjusting the magazines, those mags feed swc in my other 5 45acp 1911s. That being said, do you still think adjusting the mags could help or is there something else to look for?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:29 PM

What is the nature of your jams? Nose of bullet on feed ramp? Bullet started into chamber? Not going into battery?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
What is the nature of your jams? Nose of bullet on feed ramp? Bullet started into chamber? Not going into battery?
Nose of bullet on the feed ramp, for the most part. Like i said, it's the only barrel that has a problem. Colts with colt barrels, kart barrels, ed brown barrels, dan wessons, baers, Wilson's all feed fine with my mixture of magazines.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:17 AM

By now, I'm sure you've solved your problem. Back in the day, when the only decent 19111s on the market were old GI's and Colts -- My gunsmith routinely did throat and ramp jobs on 1911s. His standard of acceptance was the gun would feed empty cases.