Looky what I found!! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-16-2017, 11:18 PM
Gutschott Gutschott is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Central BFE
Posts: 110
Looky what I found!!

Forgot I had this old thing. Was in an old cookie tin that I forgot about. Was broken down completely. You can see by the scarring on it that someone wasn't quite the gunsmith they thought they were. Click on the first picture and you'll see where the front of the Pachmeyer slide lock was rubbing. They bent the heck out of it to keep it off the slide so I had to carefully bend it back straight. Not sure if I'll have it professionally re-blued or just Duracoat it or something. It's a .40 S&W btw. Just gonna clean it up and make a nice range gun out of it. I could shoot right now if I wanted to. I just may for X-mas!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171216_203151.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	3.32 MB
ID:	440482

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171216_203203.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	440490

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171216_203233.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	440498

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171216_203439.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	440506
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-16-2017, 11:57 PM
9mm Colt 9mm Colt is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 626
There is a surprise in every box!
-- Cracker Jack.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-16-2017, 11:59 PM
Earlsbud Earlsbud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Where we know we belong to the land, and the land we belong to is grand.
Posts: 2,666
"Was in an old cookie tin that I forgot about."
__________________
Grip. Stance. Hold. Sight Alignment. Trigger control, squeeze/press.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 12-17-2017, 12:06 AM
Gutschott Gutschott is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Central BFE
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlsbud View Post
"Was in an old cookie tin that I forgot about."
I had to take another look, it was a nostalgic Grape Nuts tin, not a cookie tin. It's been just sitting up there for probably ten years. Yeah, seems I'm actually an old guy since I can't remember where my guns are cached, even in my house.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-17-2017, 06:01 AM
Donny Donny is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Rural Illinois
Posts: 153
I was about to embark on a exciting search of all the tins and small boxes in my house in the hopes of finding a BHP or any gun for that matter. Then I suddenly realized that 1) I don't have that many guns and that 2) I keep them securely locked in a safe. Then I became depressed that I wasn't going find any gun laying around my house for Christmas. Further, since I have been rather naughty this year, finding a BHP under the tree was out of the question. Perhaps Santa would leave a worn out, trashed and discarded truck gun like a Raven or a High Point, instead of a lump of coal. We'll see.

OP, of course I am just joking and kidding. Dayam, I wish I could "find" a nice BHP like you did in my house. Congrats and thanks for sharing that fascinating story. Keep us posted regarding what you do with it, but frankly it looks to be a great shooter as is.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-17-2017, 07:57 AM
weemsf weemsf is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 182
Got any spare "cookie tins" laying around for me? That is great! Good looking gun.
__________________
Baptist Pastor, Lover of God and Country, LEO Chaplain, Benefactor NRA Member, COTEP Member
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-17-2017, 09:16 AM
watch collector watch collector is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,328
only cookie tins around here are for the wife's Christmas cookies. So no guns, bummer!!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:26 PM
BBBBill BBBBill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Alabama and Florida, US
Posts: 11,153
The bent area at the top front of the Pachmayr slide stop should be trimmed off to match the shape of the factory 40 slide stop. Yeah, the 9mm and 40 S&W slide stops are different in that area. Just trim it down until it is a little bit below the edge of the relief cut in the slide and put a tiny radius on the resultant corners. It will still work on a 9mm once modified. That tab is only there to cover the slide stop notch while the gun is in battery.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Gutschott Gutschott is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Central BFE
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
The bent area at the top front of the Pachmayr slide stop should be trimmed off to match the shape of the factory 40 slide stop. Yeah, the 9mm and 40 S&W slide stops are different in that area. Just trim it down until it is a little bit below the edge of the relief cut in the slide and put a tiny radius on the resultant corners. It will still work on a 9mm once modified. That tab is only there to cover the slide stop notch while the gun is in battery.
I was wondering about that. Thanks BBBBill!

Since I have your attention BBBBill, riddle me this.....................

With the pistol cocked and locked, if you pull on the trigger, you'll hear a light click. Then, if you click the safety off then pull the trigger, it's like a pound pull if even that. If after you pull the trigger with the safety on then click the safety off and pull back on the hammer, you'll hear a click and the sear resets and you're back to a 48 lb. trigger again. What causes this?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-17-2017, 03:01 PM
Gutschott Gutschott is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Central BFE
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny View Post
I was about to embark on a exciting search of all the tins and small boxes in my house in the hopes of finding a BHP or any gun for that matter. Then I suddenly realized that 1) I don't have that many guns and that 2) I keep them securely locked in a safe. Then I became depressed that I wasn't going find any gun laying around my house for Christmas. Further, since I have been rather naughty this year, finding a BHP under the tree was out of the question. Perhaps Santa would leave a worn out, trashed and discarded truck gun like a Raven or a High Point, instead of a lump of coal. We'll see.

OP, of course I am just joking and kidding. Dayam, I wish I could "find" a nice BHP like you did in my house. Congrats and thanks for sharing that fascinating story. Keep us posted regarding what you do with it, but frankly it looks to be a great shooter as is.
Oh man, I'm sorry for you.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Sunset_Va Sunset_Va is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Central Virginia
Posts: 404
Consider converting the slide release/lock back to factory part.

The 40 cal Hi Powers are my favorite.

Do not keep forgetting where you hide your guns.

Not lecturing, but a safe is a better way to "stash" guns.

You were really lucky that you didn't open the tin, and found a "red" or "brown" pistol.
__________________
Just glad to be here.

Last edited by Sunset_Va; 12-17-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-17-2017, 08:14 PM
PD5523 PD5523 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 398
The condition you describe (I.e. hearing the “click” after pulling trigger with safety on the cocking hammer) is dangerous!!! The safety isn’t properly fitted to sear and is allowing the sear to move when engaged.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-17-2017, 11:15 PM
Mister Coffee Mister Coffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,369
A tasty little treat, indeed. Love those blonde grip panels, too.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-17-2017, 11:34 PM
BBBBill BBBBill is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Alabama and Florida, US
Posts: 11,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutschott View Post
Since I have your attention BBBBill, riddle me this.....................

With the pistol cocked and locked, if you pull on the trigger, you'll hear a light click. Then, if you click the safety off then pull the trigger, it's like a pound pull if even that. If after you pull the trigger with the safety on then click the safety off and pull back on the hammer, you'll hear a click and the sear resets and you're back to a 48 lb. trigger again. What causes this?
Improperly fit thumb safety. Sounds like Bubba got to the hammer/sear/safety. A good opportunity to fit some quality guts. There are numerous qualified High Power smiths who can do it for you. You can do it yourself IF you are mechanically inclined, can understand the proper interaction of the components, have the tools, and patience to do it correctly.
Were it me, at a minimum I would inspect the hammer for proper hammer hood dimensions (replace if necessary), fit a good hard sear from EGW or C&S, and refit the safety. Refitting the safety may only require a tiny bit of stoning with a new high quality sear. If it is still scant, then a bit of weld can be added to the engagement lug and files/stoned to fit. Beyond that Elite Warrior Armament has fire control kits for the High Power.
If you want to stay with original factory components, Midwest Gun Works has them.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-18-2017, 06:05 AM
Gutschott Gutschott is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Central BFE
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
Improperly fit thumb safety. Sounds like Bubba got to the hammer/sear/safety. A good opportunity to fit some quality guts. There are numerous qualified High Power smiths who can do it for you. You can do it yourself IF you are mechanically inclined, can understand the proper interaction of the components, have the tools, and patience to do it correctly.
Were it me, at a minimum I would inspect the hammer for proper hammer hood dimensions (replace if necessary), fit a good hard sear from EGW or C&S, and refit the safety. Refitting the safety may only require a tiny bit of stoning with a new high quality sear. If it is still scant, then a bit of weld can be added to the engagement lug and files/stoned to fit. Beyond that Elite Warrior Armament has fire control kits for the High Power.
If you want to stay with original factory components, Midwest Gun Works has them.
Thanks. I was thinking along those lines. I wasn't sure if the fix for it was the same as the 1911. The sear broke in my Wife's 1911 and after replacement the safety was mushy and hard to thumb up into the safe position. After a bit of judicious filing, it's better than new. I think I'll just go with a new sear and non ambi safety with this gun. As you can see in the pix, the monkey/gunsmith that had this before me broke the right sid of the safety off anyway. Thinking of giving bluing a try as well.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-18-2017, 07:11 AM
wags wags is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: On the Lake, Ohio
Posts: 924
Someone should receive an Academy Award for buggering up this pistol. And I would recommend having a competent gunsmith bless it off for safety purposes.

Question: Is the frame an earlier .40cal steel forging? Just curious.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-18-2017, 08:58 AM
dj528 dj528 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Phila PA
Posts: 2,533
Take pity on that gun, give yourself a Christmas present and send it off for a proper work over. Get a 9mm conversion barrel fit while you're at it. I recommend Don Williams.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-18-2017, 09:22 AM
jjfitch jjfitch is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 6,101
Bubba also twisted off the right side safety lever!

Since you found it, trick your brain into believing you have nothing $$ invested! This means you can restore it without remorse!

Pictures after restoral are required!

All the best,
__________________
John, Retired LEO, CA POST Certified Firearms Instructor, NRA Endmt., NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, Blue Lives Matter
Gun Control: Acquire target, align sights, press trigger, only after you have identified your target and what is beyond it and made the decision to shoot!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-18-2017, 01:07 PM
SDDAVE SDDAVE is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutschott View Post
I had to take another look, it was a nostalgic Grape Nuts tin, not a cookie tin. It's been just sitting up there for probably ten years. Yeah, seems I'm actually an old guy since I can't remember where my guns are cached, even in my house.
How about a pic of the tin.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Gutschott Gutschott is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Central BFE
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Someone should receive an Academy Award for buggering up this pistol. And I would recommend having a competent gunsmith bless it off for safety purposes.

Question: Is the frame an earlier .40cal steel forging? Just curious.
The firearm looks to be in good condition other than the ham fisted "gunsmithing" so I'm not afraid to shoot it.

The frame is of '96 vintage and I have no idea the material the frame is although it looks to be cast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj528 View Post
Take pity on that gun, give yourself a Christmas present and send it off for a proper work over. Get a 9mm conversion barrel fit while you're at it. I recommend Don Williams.
I'm going to smooth it out, re-blue it and leave it in .40 S&W as it was made. I don't nor have I ever owned a .40 S&W for reasons I'll not go into now but maybe this will convert me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
Bubba also twisted off the right side safety lever!

Since you found it, trick your brain into believing you have nothing $$ invested! This means you can restore it without remorse!

Pictures after restoral are required!

All the best,
Done and will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDDAVE View Post
How about a pic of the tin.
Ok. Give me a minute.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-18-2017, 09:05 PM
Mister Coffee Mister Coffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,369
Now, I'm confused.

The Frame: Look at the bottom of the grip. If you see lines in the butt, then it is cast. All BHPs went to cast frames because of the .40 cal. With the exception of a few rare early .40s (we're talkin' prototypes here), all .40s are cast.

The Grips: They look like French Walnut from the early '70s or late '60s. If so, they would not even fit on a cast frame without modification. I could be wrong, but you'd be lucky to have nice grips like those on a '96.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-18-2017, 09:26 PM
Gutschott Gutschott is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Central BFE
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee View Post
Now, I'm confused.

The Frame: Look at the bottom of the grip. If you see lines in the butt, then it is cast. All BHPs went to cast frames because of the .40 cal. With the exception of a few rare early .40s (we're talkin' prototypes here), all .40s are cast.

The Grips: They look like French Walnut from the early '70s or late '60s. If so, they would not even fit on a cast frame without modification. I could be wrong, but you'd be lucky to have nice grips like those on a '96.
There are lines on the butt. The Ser.# begins with 2W5NT. From what I found on the internet, the N and T are 9 and 6, making it a '96 gun. This is my first Hi Power so forgive me for not knowing what's going on.

The grips fit perfectly and do not look to be altered in any way.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-19-2017, 12:58 PM
dj528 dj528 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Phila PA
Posts: 2,533
It's a cast gun.

Regarding my comment about the 9mm barrel, I wasn't suggesting you permanently convert it to 9. Having the conversion barrel fit would allow you to switch between calibers (with a spring change). Around me, 9mm is significantly less expensive and easier to find.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Mister Coffee Mister Coffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: California
Posts: 1,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutschott View Post
...This is my first Hi Power so forgive me for not knowing what's going on.
No sweat. Forums are good places to ask questions.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-19-2017, 07:30 PM
Gutschott Gutschott is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Central BFE
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj528 View Post
It's a cast gun.

Regarding my comment about the 9mm barrel, I wasn't suggesting you permanently convert it to 9. Having the conversion barrel fit would allow you to switch between calibers (with a spring change). Around me, 9mm is significantly less expensive and easier to find.
Oh, ok. I misunderstood.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2015 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved