Should I get in touch with colt? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-18-2017, 04:15 PM

Should I get in touch with colt?

My Colt Special Combat Government continues to be the most unreliable 1911 Iíve ever owned. Itís been back to the Custom Shop once already when Brent was still working for them, some of you may remember the thread. They polished the feed ramp and installed the dual recoil spring system. I took it to the range today and this happened once every ten rounds or so. It also does this with hardball. I would really like for Colt to make the pistol work. I would just send it to cylinder and slide, theyíre up in my home town. Or another shop, but donít feel I should have to endure the long wait times and expense to make the most expensive 1911 Iíve ever bought run correctly. I am set on keeping this thing now, what do you guys think? I would send colt an email but I guess I have to call them about it.
Attached Thumbnails
C50C2357-0552-4CFE-BF95-AA7CC0C49038.jpeg  
Old 10-18-2017, 04:22 PM

Perfect opportunity to learn the 1911 inside and out and fix it yourself. That's what I have done with all of mine that had issues. A worthwhile and rewarding experience.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw410 View Post
My Colt Special Combat Government continues to be the most unreliable 1911 Iíve ever owned. Itís been back to the Custom Shop once already when Brent was still working for them, some of you may remember the thread. They polished the feed ramp and installed the dual recoil spring system. I took it to the range today and this happened once every ten rounds or so. It also does this with hardball. I would really like for Colt to make the pistol work. I would just send it to cylinder and slide, theyíre up in my home town. Or another shop, but donít feel I should have to endure the long wait times and expense to make the most expensive 1911 Iíve ever bought run correctly. I am set on keeping this thing now, what do you guys think? I would send colt an email but I guess I have to call them about it.
I would send it back. If that's a common occurrence I wouldn't accept that from a gun at any price point. I'm sure they'll ask you all the standard questions- using factory mags, not using reloads, proper lubrication etc. If you can check all those off before you email I'd expect a RMA forthwith.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Administrator

I'm going to move this to the Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting sub-forum to see if any of the pros there have any ideas for you to try first.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck View Post
Perfect opportunity to learn the 1911 inside and out and fix it yourself. That's what I have done with all of mine that had issues. A worthwhile and rewarding experience.
Well so far other than what Colt did the first time I sent it back Iíve tried different types of magazines and several different recoil springs. Its strictly a feeding issue. The only other thing I could think would be the dimensions of the feed ramp itself. What other areas would you suggest looking into?
Old 10-18-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
I'm going to move this to the Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting sub-forum to see if any of the pros there have any ideas for you to try first.
Of course, if you think thatís best.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:51 PM

I would ask around for a reputable gunsmith who could provide timely service.
As one "good customer service" fan said, "A gun ought to work right after only one trip back to the factory."
So pay somebody to FIX it. Colt is said to be pretty slow now, anyhow.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:59 PM

Is it just these models colt is having challenges with?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I would ask around for a reputable gunsmith who could provide timely service.
As one "good customer service" fan said, "A gun ought to work right after only one trip back to the factory."
....And forward the bill to colt. On that note, does anyone know a good gunsmith in the DFW area?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaeIndustries View Post
Is it just these models colt is having challenges with?
Just this particular pistol it seems. I own three other models from them and those are fine, theyíre also standard production models and not Custom Shop guns
Old 10-18-2017, 05:23 PM

Looks like the wrong ejector installed. It's kicking the empty round out too soon. I'd either fit a new ejector made for the .45 or attempt to adjust the existing ejector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 05:24 PM

Sorry you did specify feeding issue. I should have read more closely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 05:46 PM

It looks as if it is not sliding under the Extractor hook and being pushed out to the side and jamming. You could have a new extractor installed (or do it yourself), or your could try and "loosen" it and see it that helps.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis385 View Post
It looks as if it is not sliding under the Extractor hook and being pushed out to the side and jamming. You could have a new extractor installed (or do it yourself), or your could try and "loosen" it and see it that helps.
Sounds plausible to me. Also, most but not all of these malfunctions occur with the last round in the magazine, regardless of the magazine used if that helps any...
Old 10-18-2017, 06:52 PM

Have you tried different mags ? Also that is a hollow​ point , does the hardball kick the same way ? What does a round look like when the extractor is holding it .

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis385 View Post
That was my first thought looking at the picture. Extractor deflection or the round moved ahead of the slide, inertia feed.

I think I would do some extractor troubleshooting, checking dimensions, clearance, tension, deflection if all the failures are looking the same.
Ruger Redhawk .44 Magnum, 7.5"
NRA Member
Old 10-18-2017, 07:14 PM

Second thought:

Look how the round is jammed up into the right hand corner of the barrel as if it was deflected but by what? the slide release perhaps? Interesting!
NRA Member
Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 PM

I think some high speed video would be the ticket
Old 10-18-2017, 08:05 PM

This appears to be the result of an inertia feed, which is not the pistols fault per se, but the mag failing to hold the cartridge in place for the slide to strip. It jumped the gun. Your mags should be clean and dry.

LOG

Old 10-18-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
This appears to be the result of an inertia feed, which is not the pistols fault per se, but the mag failing to hold the cartridge in place for the slide to strip. It jumped the gun. Your mags should be clean and dry.

LOG
Iím not saying youíre wrong about what occurred but it wasnít because the mags werenít clean and dry.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I’m not saying you’re wrong about what occurred but it wasn’t because the mags weren’t clean and dry.
Weak magazine springs can contribute to inertia feeds. Since this is a 5" 1911 you might try a shock buff to see if that will lessen the impact of the slide against the frame. You can get "plastic" buffs from a variety of places and you can get aluminum buffs from Dawson Precision.

You can also fit a flat bottom firing pin stop to rob energy from the slide thus reducing it's rearward velocity. You can also install a heavier than standard 23lb mainspring to further reduce the slide's rearward velocity.

Last edited by Steve in Allentown; 10-19-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Iím not saying youíre wrong about what occurred but it wasnít because the mags werenít clean and dry.
Good. Perhaps the recoil spring system is allowing more kick, causing the gun to recoil back as the cartridge stands still and the gets stuck as the slide closes against it. That is what the appearance suggests.

LOG

Old 10-18-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Pay someone to fix a gun that should have run 100% from the get go?

That sounds crazy to me! That's why I buy STI guns. Run great from the start and if they don't they have a lifetime warranty wether you're the first or tenth owner. Quick turnaround, shipping paid both ways and professional service.

Dump the Colt. Buy a gun you can trust your life to.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:02 PM

Dump it where? Got a sucker in mind? Dime on a dollar? Would you?
Old 10-18-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
I’m not saying you’re wrong about what occurred but it wasn’t because the mags weren’t clean and dry.
Did all the malfunctions occur on last round in mag? One thing appears to be evident, the round didn't begin to enter the chamber. That's a bonafide Failure to Feed (FTF) and based on what I have read, 95% of feed failures are attributed to the magazine spring and/or follower. It's all I know to go on I'm still in learning mode which will take about 10 years to complete. Short article below:

http://rangehot.com/1911-troubleshooting-feed-failures/
NRA Member

Last edited by RUSS123; 10-18-2017 at 09:09 PM.