Changing Grip Safety Manufacturers - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 07:03 PM

Changing Grip Safety Manufacturers

I want to de-Wilson Combat my Colt frame, which would include the Wilson grip safety. If I understand correctly, Wilson uses a different radius cut. Is it possible to recut the radius to lets say, an Ed-Brown grip safety? Or does the frame need to be welded and then recut? I am sure some will chime in to leave as is, and Wilson Combat developed sliced bread and created water. So ……for personal reasons and impracticality aside I would like to replace the fitted grip safety and not keep what’s on the gun. Helpful commentary is appreciated. Non-helpful commentary is always entertaining and welcome as well.

Cheers
Old 10-11-2017, 07:21 PM

If the Grip Safety is Compound Radius the frame would need to be welded and recut

Sent from a distant planet far far away
Old 10-11-2017, 08:32 PM

Not sure but EGW makes a grip safety with a .240 radius and a lot of extra material. Thinking out loud, I wonder if that could be made to fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2017, 08:40 PM

Caspian makes two beaver tails. One a .250 radius, the other is I THINK Clark/Wilson.
Call 'em up.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:44 PM

The Wilson is cut closer to the pivot hole than any other that I know of. The .220 radius grip safety would come close to fitting but not right.

USPSA A-27738

Allan
Old 10-11-2017, 10:56 PM

The Wilson is not a compound radius, but rather an offset radius of .223" offset from the center of the thumb safety shaft hole by .016" forward and .031" downward. So the horizontal distance from the back of the recut frame tail to the center of the hole is .207". There is nothing on the market that I am aware of that will clean up that cut for a different beavertail. Welding is in order unless you just want to stick a GI grip safety on there.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:32 PM

I just ran across a Wilson cut on another manufacturer's grip safety sold alongside one with the 0.250" cut.

Now I can't find em again.

Will keep looking.

Josh
Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 AM

Isn't the Wilson radius a"round" .250" radius? But offset in the thumb safety hole as BBBBill said?
I wonder if EGW could make a run of .245" safetys with the hole offset per blueprints?
Patent infringementissues possibly.
Joe
Old 10-12-2017, 04:59 AM

Changing out a Wilson grip safety.....

It seems to me there is nothing wrong with a Wilson grip safety..... if you have to weld up the tangs in order to change to a different safety, you could modify the existing safety to the desired configuration.....

I like grip safeties that allow a high hold on the gun, and has a hump near the base of the grip safety so I can always depress the safety when drawing from the holster, even with a poor grip...... During the early 1980's when shooting USPSA, I would modify the grip safety by welding to make a hump, then cold blue the part once it was modified to suit me..... I also modify the contour of a wide paddle thumb safety for my grip....

Last edited by Rwehavinfunyet; 10-12-2017 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:19 AM

Interesting. I though people tried to add more Wilson parts to their Colts?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:28 AM

It?s a long and painful story. Several years back Wilson jacked up my pistol and in my opinion never made it right. I want to go another direction and build up the pistol from scratch (bare frame) with another builder. Lots of folks love Wilson. Me not so much. I like the idea of a ed Brown or chip McCormick grip safety instead.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:58 AM
1911 Aficionado

So, it's an emotional thing; you don't want Wilson-brand stuff?
Springfield uses the Clark/Wilson cut, so if it's just a matter of not wanting the Wilson part on the gun, you could swap in a Springfield beavertail.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:56 PM

It's a matter of principle. 1) they messed up gun, 2) poor customer service 3) repaired product looked like hell. I gave up as it took them 6 months to return a stupid looking gun. Irks me every time I pick it up and I throw it back in the safe.

So I figured a clean build would be in order and put it back on the street. Wanted it to sit a little lowed in the hand or maybe go retro with an old rat tail styled safety. It is a 38 super frame but thinking I will have a new feed ramp cut in and change to 45. Giving up on small bore 1911's, just run Glocks for those needs now.

I will look into those manufactures who might also make the Clark/****** cut. Thanks for the help, very useful.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:50 AM

.38 super frame with new feed ramp cut in.....

Quote:
It is a 38 super frame but thinking I will have a new feed ramp cut in and change to 45.
An easy frame modification is to go with W/N ramped barrels and have the frame cut for the W/N ramp......many mfg's use the Wilson/Nowling ramp cut and most gunsmiths like them since it is easier to fit a barrel.

I like the W/N ramp cut since the barrel you use has the feed ramp integrated into the barrel, so the same frame can be used with any barrel, or you can fit different slides using various calibers of W/N ramped barrels and swap the entire top half of the gun to a new caliber....

I once made an STI Eagle build, but used the same slide and fitted three different calibers using W/N ramped barrels.....the gun worked extremely well with different barrels and calibers!