Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-28-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
Exactly.

If a gun needs to be shot 200 times before it starts to perform and function as it is sold to perform, they should shoot it 250 times before it leaves the factory.
I'm glad Les Baer does not share your belief. I enjoyed breaking my Baer in.
From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 09-30-2017, 04:31 PM

Update: Got the new spring today. Also got a couple boxes of 124gr ammo to throw into the mix. Shot another 5 boxes of ammo today. S&B 115gr, Blazer brass 124gr and Blazer aluminum 124gr all shot without stovepipes. Fiocci 115gr and blazer brass 115gr had stovepipes. All locked back on last round (an improvement). All had erratic ejection. Some ejected right, others forward, in my face, or barely falling out of the gun. This may have something to do with my messing w/the extractor.

So at this point I would probably blow another case of ammo trying to fix myself, so I am going to enlist professional help or send back to Colt. TBD.

The good news... the gun is a joy to shoot. Love the sights, trigger is great, recoil minimal... able to get very fast shots on steel at 20 yards (when it doesn't jam).

Just need it to work right.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:57 AM

I've never owned a 9mm pistol that did not function better with warm to hot 124 gr. (or 147 gr.) loads than those dopey 115 gr. things.

SIgs, CZs, Glocks, S&Ws, Berettas - you name it. The heavier the slide, the more this should be true, and a 5" 1911 has a heavy slide.

OP - there are some good extractor fitting post here in the Gunsmithing Forum. I also think every 1911 owner should own the Kuhnhausen manuals. The Colt extractor is a good part so don't give up on it yet.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:18 PM

colt competition 9mm

Well after reading some threads on this colt model do not think
I will spend bucks for one,looking for a nice 9mm but Kimber/colts and
some more will not pass.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:45 PM

I have a Colt GCT and Combat commander that runs 100% on 115g. I don't know why you call them dopey, it doesn't take much to punch holes in paper or knock paint off steel.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:15 PM

That would be your loss. They are great guns and very accurate. It's a shame not every gun works 100 percent. The 9 mm in 1911 format is almost cheatin, it's so much fun.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:45 PM

While I had some troubles with mine, Colt sorted them out. It is an excellent shooter, and I am glad I did not get rid of it. I enjoy shooting it as much as my CZ Shadow 2, and that is a lot.

Not all Colt 9mm had trouble. Most were GTG. Mine was the exception, but now I love it.
From here on, if I want something nice, Guncrafter will make it
COTEP CBOB0691
Old 10-01-2017, 09:51 PM

Erratic ejection may be the result of extractor clocking. Fitting a new firing pin stop may help resolve remaining issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2017, 04:33 PM

I bought one off of a fella that hadn't shot it yet. I guess maybe they're hit or miss. Mine has been 100% through about 600 rds, all weights included. I've also let just about everyone and their mother shoot it when there's someone else around. It's probably my favorite CF range gun. And it puts all the empties in an area the size of a coffee can.

If only it was a LW, CCO sized...
Old 10-07-2017, 02:39 PM

Update:
Replaced extractor with a Wilson Combat "bullet proof" extractor. Needed some minor fitting and tension adjustment.

Shot a box of 124gr aguila ammo through it and the weak/erratic ejection seems to be solved. No matter the ammo before, it would eject all over the place with occasional stovepipes.

Now brass is ejecting consistently and with some velocity, but its going over my head and landing behind me.

I'm going to try some 115gr maybe tomorrow. Need to continue to verify function, make sure it doesn't start hitting me in the face w/lighter loads, and also check accuracy. The aguila ammo seemed to shoot high and was very dirty - my first time shooting this brand, probably won't buy again. Will save this for my glocks.

Anyway if I can get through a couple hundred rounds of various ammo types without stovepipes or other ejection problems I will be a happy camper.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:42 PM

Also for those reading this thread trying to solve similar issues, I tensioned the extractor to about 28-30oz. I drilled an empty case, put a piece of fishing line through, put that in place centered over the firing pin, and pulled with a trigger gauge.

The tension numbers I found through a web search were all over the place. I tested my cz75 and it was about 30oz (and I have never had an issue w/that gun) so I figured that was a decent place to start. Seems good.