New RO Elite Champion - thumb safety jamming - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 09-13-2017, 04:39 PM

New RO Elite Champion - thumb safety jamming

This is the same RO Elite that had the slide lock back/jamming issue. I received the pistol back for SA today and they fixed the slide issue completely, but now I have a new issue . I'm left handed and was doing some holster work today. This was the first time I have fired the pistol. The pistol handles very nicely, is very accurate, feels solid and I'd like it to be my winter carry - but - I experienced a few occurrences where the thumb safety jammed and would not disengage. I always engage the safety when holstering the pistol, and disengage it when presenting. The jam happened three times in 30 holster draws. When it jams it takes some back and forth action to get it to disengage. Not exactly what one wants for a carry gun. (To be more direct - I guess it is useless as a defense carry.)

After leaving the range I worked the safety on and off many times (~100), and realized it has a tendency to jam if I apply any side pressure when disengaging. Unfortunately, this happens a lot when drawing from a holster and trying to get on target quickly. Unless my thumb is applying precise vertical pressure, I may get a jam and the safety will not disengage.

I'm reluctant to send this back to SA the day after they just returned it to me. I guess I'll see if it works out? If it doesn't, I guess I really have no other choice as I don't need an $800 range pistol. There are lots of things I like about this pistol, but I'm beginning to wonder why they call it Elite? It has the look and feel of a quality pistol, but seems to be lacking in the function area, which unfortunately is the most important consideration.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:16 AM

One of the reasons to shoot the pistol before sending it back , is to see if
all the rest of the pistol functions the way you want it to . I'd put 500 rds
threw it before sending it back to see if break in changes anything .
Old 09-14-2017, 06:25 AM

Check to see if the plunger tube is loose on the frame - there must not be any play at all. Pull the plunger out and make sure the spring is not broken in the tube. Another thing to look at is the tip of the plunger bearing on the thumb safety - the tip needs to be rounded and not have squared off corners. The detent on the front of the thumb safety must not be cut too deep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 10:13 AM

Thanks for the input. Plunger tube and spring look fine. I will shoot 3-4 hundred rounds to see if this disappears with break-in. There is definitely a different feel on the thumb safety using a right hand hold.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 AM

It is definitely not going to "break in" and go away. Something isn't fitted right and is causing the bind. Is this an ambi safety? Or are you using a single side unit for right and left hand?

Last edited by drail; 09-14-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:19 PM

Take off the right grip panel and check the operation, the foot of the right side lever could be binding. A few passes with a file will cure that problem. Next remove the right side lever and check operation again, the shaft halves might not be meshing properly and you may be able to fix that up by pinching the slotted shaft gently so it fits the pronged end a bit better. If none of this helps I would not hesitate sending it back to SA. My opinion of SA's ambi-safeties is not good even the one on my Pro sucks. Also check that there is enough clearance between the lever and the top of the grip panel.

Last edited by 2toes22; 09-14-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:26 PM

Have you put some lubricant on it?
Old 09-14-2017, 06:44 PM

Thanks again for the help. I haven't taken it apart yet but have determined the safety jams when the left side pulls away from the frame. Since I'm left handed when I disengage the safety on the right side it has a tendency to push the entire mechanism to the left. If I snap the left side of the safety back in place it functions fine.

Following are some pics showing the safety pushed away from the frame. The first 2 pictures show the safety pushed away from the frame. You can see the gap bwtween the safety and the frame. The third picture shows where the safety gets stuck. The last picture shows the safety snapped back in place by pushing it into the frame. After that it works fine.
Attached Thumbnails
away.JPG   away2.JPG   stuck.JPG   snapped-back.JPG  
Old 09-14-2017, 07:49 PM

Sounds like the two sides are not put together tight enough. Could have spread the left side fingers when they removed the safety and then didn't sqeeze them back together.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:18 PM

Safety install . Check to make sure its installed correctly

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xkbaDL3vvE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd5m-Adc97o
Old 09-15-2017, 12:53 PM

Is it only doing it when apply the safety left handed, since you're left handed? Does it do it right handed also? May be flexing at the connection or dragging on the right side grip as suggested. If it does it either way then it is probably an issue with the safety itself. I'd replace it with an Ed Brown at that point. I hate SA thumb safety's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2017, 05:46 PM

The male/female junction of the thumb safety shaft isn't snug enough to hold the two pieces firmly in place. You may be able to gently squeeze the female side together without over doing it or collapsing the two prongs which accept the male portion. Sometimes slight peening of the male portion will also work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-15-2017, 05:53 PM

"slight peening of the male portion will also work.." Man, that sounds really painful......
Old 10-05-2017, 12:12 PM

Got the RO back from SA today. The invoice says they replaced the ambi safety left and right. Parts listed are SA Carbon Ambi Safety LH/RH. The new safety fits tight to the frame on both sides, much different that the original. Seems to operate fine. Won't be able to go to the range until next week.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:39 PM

Nice to hear .
Old 10-11-2017, 07:10 PM

Made it to the range today. Did some holster work and the RO functioned with no issues. Very accurate, smooth, and tight. The thumb safety functioned without issue. I am cautiously optimistic. Would have been nice if it didn't take 2 trips back to SA to get to this point.

Last edited by motorcycle joe; 10-11-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle joe View Post
Made it to the range today. Did some holster work and the RO functioned with no issues. Very accurate, smooth, and tight. The thumb safety functioned without issue. I am cautiously optimistic. Would have been nice if it didn't take 2 trips back to SA to get to this point.

So true and I bet management when looking at their costs for repairs
will think that as well . I'am glad its fixed and you back on the range .