Help Short Frame - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 08-27-2017, 08:10 PM

Help Short Frame

I recently bought an officers 1911 at auction, when I get it it looks a little strange but I am used to full size guns. I notice the grip safety is not working and there is hammer fallow when dropping the slide. So i think the 3 prong spring my need replaced or adjusted. So I tap out the pin on the mainspring housing and boy did I find a mess. The housing had been shortened there was some sort of coil spring drilled into the housing as a hammer spring. The grip safety has also been cut down and so has the Grip frame I would guess and inch.
Well I tried to get the thing back together but just can not get the mainspring to function correctly, the coil hammer spring seems to work fine, which was a shock to me. Has anyone see a modification like this ? I sure would like to see how it is supose to function or is it a franken 1911
Old 08-27-2017, 08:20 PM

Pictures ? What make is it ?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2017, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5card View Post
The housing had been shortened there was some sort of coil spring drilled into the housing as a hammer spring.

but just can not get the mainspring to function correctly, the coil hammer spring seems to work fine,
Need a little more information. Pictures would be very helpful.

In common 1911 parts description, hammer spring=mainspring=coil spring.

NRA Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
I recently bought an officers 1911 at auction, when I get it it looks a little strange but I am used to full size guns. I notice the grip safety is not working and there is hammer fallow when dropping the slide. So i think the 3 prong spring my need replaced or adjusted. So I tap out the pin on the mainspring housing and boy did I find a mess. The housing had been shortened there was some sort of coil spring drilled into the housing as a hammer spring. The grip safety has also been cut down and so has the Grip frame I would guess and inch.
Well I tried to get the thing back together but just can not get the mainspring to function correctly, the coil hammer spring seems to work fine, which was a shock to me. Has anyone see a modification like this ? I sure would like to see how it is supose to function or is it a franken 1911
I strongly advise you to take this firearm to someone with more knowledge of the 1911 design than yourself.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I recently bought an officers 1911
I notice the grip safety is not working
The grip safety has also been cut down and so has the Grip frame I would guess and inch.
I think he needs somebody familiar with a Detonics.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:47 PM

So I got it back together and working as it did before I tried adjusting the leaf spring, the grip safety is not working, but the hammer is not following the slide when I checked it.
here are some pics the first shows it in relation to and officers model a commanders model and a Full size The frame size seems to be either a commander or a full size however the slot for the leaf spring is near the middle of the grip frame

Here is the frame with the leaf spring hanging where the slot is in the grip for it

Here are some pics of the shortened parts along with the short main spring housing and the now exposed main spring

Old 08-28-2017, 07:48 PM

Oh and the slide seems to be a commander slide, too big for an officers
The mags are officers mags that hang below the frame about an inch

Last edited by 5card; 08-28-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:08 PM

The mainspring housing appears to be a Springfield Armory with ILS- a device to "lock" the hammer forward. I believe this may be what you are referring to as being drilled into the housing.

The leafspring appears to be fabricated - the left leg normally has a 90 degree bend at top where it engages the sear- that appears absent suggesting a stock sear spring was cut.

Without knowing who did the work I wouldn't trust it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-28-2017, 10:53 PM

What you have is a parts gun built on a Detonics (look it up/goggle it) type frame (possibly Essex made), not an Officers Model type frame. Is it marked Essex on the right side? True Detonics did not have a grip safety, having a filler plate there instead. Your "grip safety" appears to be a cut down standard grip safety. Whether it was intended to be functional and ever was or not is unknown although I do see the blocking arm still in place. Does it pivot like a standard grip safety when installed or is it rigid/semi-rigid? The magazines are specific to the Detonics frame. The mainspring housing is a Springfield Armory piece with the ILS system. All mainspring housings have a coil spring such as the one you see there. The Springfield ILS housings don't use a pin (the tiny hole you see in the upper right corner) to capture the spring inside the housing like original type mainspring housing. True Detonics and the Essex copies used a standard full sized mainspring housing in conjunction with the short frame filler that is used in lieu of a grip safety. The sear spring is standard Detonics type which is just a cut down Government/Commander sear spring.
Hammer follow could be due to incorrectly fitted hammer and sear, incorrectly adjusted sear spring, or...... Someone knowledgeable needs to have it in hand to diagnose.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:52 PM

I thought I said it is an Essex frame, the grip safety and the main spring housing are factory pieces and both have been shortened the main spring housing spring hole have been drilled much larger, the hole is still present for the spring locking pin. The spring itself seem to be larger. This is a 9mm model not 45. I think the grip safety should work and there is not a little 90 bend on the far left leg of the leaf spring
Old 08-29-2017, 01:11 AM

Quote:
I thought I said it is an Essex frame, the grip safety and the main spring housing are factory pieces and both have been shortened the main spring housing spring hole have been drilled much larger, the hole is still present for the spring locking pin. The spring itself seem to be larger. This is a 9mm model not 45. I think the grip safety should work and there is not a little 90 bend on the far left leg of the leaf spring
It's obvious that the grip safety was shortened. Not so obvious from the pics that it was intended to still be functional. Maybe (looks like possibly), maybe not. Officers model mainspring housings are shorter, too. Remember that I said the Detonics was designed to use a full sized mainspring housing assembly and a very short filler plate in lieu of a grip safety. Yours is a nonstandard assembly of parts, although there's no reason for it not to be workable. Officer's model mainsprings are larger in diameter requiring a larger hole. The sear spring is correct for a Detonics. I've seen them with and without the 90 degree bend, mostly without.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:15 PM

The grip safety still have the bar on it so my guess is it should catch the trigger, I think the spring is not back enough, I think I am going to take another crack at it!
Old 09-02-2017, 01:19 PM

One of the most common issues when fitting grip safeties is the little studs on the bottom prevent the safety from pivoting enough for the arm to block the trigger.

Your gun has a modified grip safety with just one stud. I'd assemble the gun without the MSH and see if you can pivot the grip safety enough to block the trigger. If it only blocks the trigger with the GS pvioted out so much its swinging in the wind then you have a problem. You would need to either start with a new GS or have the arm welded up and refit from there.