Online Ammo Sales - Reviews - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-09-2017, 12:17 PM

Online Ammo Sales - Reviews

I do like to shop locally but online pricing, and selection, for ammo is hard to beat. I don't have a lot of online buying experience and was hoping for some help with reliable stores.
Bulk is certainly the way to go, but I was just looking to try out a half dozen or so 50 rnd boxes of brands that aren't available locally.
I spent some time comparison shopping for some different 45 Auto and some had better pricing with higher shipping and others the opposite.
Some stores had good online reviews and others not so good.
These are some of the places I visited and was curious if you had any good or bad thoughts about them, or suggestions for others?

Target Sports USA
Ammo To Go
Able’s
Natchez Shooters Supplies
Cheaper Than Dirt
Botch

Thanks, and sorry if this has been covered. I did search first, but didn't see anything comprehensive.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:31 PM

I've used Target Sports, Ammo To Go and Natchez. All of them were good.

I won't even look at Cheaper Than Dirt after their price gouging a few years ago.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:42 PM

I buy all my ammo on line, usually practice ammo by the 1000rd case, 500 at least. I've used
Midway
Ammoman
TargetSports USA
Bulk Ammo Online.

What I do is wait for specials ( they email me notices )

Check cost+ shipping & figure out price per round. If it is a smokin' deal I buy it. All those above have been very reliable. I know the brands my guns " like" so I stick to those. At any given time I have a Case on hand of Ball ammo & 50+ rds of JHPs for the 3 calibers I use; 9-40-45.

I've also bought my 12 ga rds that way ( but over stocked 00 Buck). Guess I'm worried about a Zombie Apocalypse. Lol.

My cost per rd is very low compared with friends I shoot with who buy often at WallyWorld. Your mileage may vary.

I've not had a bad experience ( yet )
Ret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2017, 12:54 PM

I buy all my ammo on line except .22 which I can get a fair prices at my LGS. I've used (all with zero problems):
Ammo To Go
Natchez Shooters
Recoil Gunworks
Cabellas
SGAmmo
Sportsman's Guide
Rare Ammo
Ammo Depot
Freedom Munitions (reloads)
and most recently added Bone Frog to the list for SD ammo https://www.bonefroggunclub.com/collections/ammunition

I simply follow the cheapest price (including shipping) when I need more ammo. I stay on the mailing list for most (all?) of these for alerts to sales. I always buy in bulk and usually look for free or very low cost shipping. I keep a "healthy" supply of ammo on hand so that I'm never in a pinch to buy it when not on sale. When a truly incredible deal comes along, I usually buy even if I don't need it. I keep records on all purchases and try to use the first in first out principle even though I've never encountered any issues with "stale" ammo.
TN Firearms Association Legislative Action Committee
Handgunlaw.us Donor
Old 06-09-2017, 12:58 PM

Target Sports USA without question. Pretty much the only place I buy bulk ammo unless there is a really good sale elsewhere. I recently decided to try out several different lower cost ($6-$12 per 20) 5.56/.223 ammo to see what grouped the best. Got eleven boxes and shipping was under $12. The price on each was as good or better than most other places.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:58 PM

Have used Natchez for years. Excellent in all respects.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:43 PM

I use to buy from Wideners but they have changed hands and never have good prices anymore (and even worse shipping), these days I buy almost everything from SGammo in bulk.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:31 PM

Hey Ya'll... thanks so much for the great feedback !!!
I'm feeling a whole lot more comfortable now about shopping online for my ammo. The only thing I'd like more is if you could buy it on Amazon. Prime with two day free shipping would be a big plus!
I'll get myself on the email lists of the stores you all suggested and start looking out for specials.
Thanks to everyone!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardtollman View Post
Hey Ya'll... thanks so much for the great feedback !!!
I'm feeling a whole lot more comfortable now about shopping online for my ammo. The only thing I'd like more is if you could buy it on Amazon. Prime with two day free shipping would be a big plus!
I'll get myself on the email lists of the stores you all suggested and start looking out for specials.
Thanks to everyone!!!
I'll keep buying from SG Ammo.

Jeff Bezos (Amazon) doesn't get my money...

Life Member-National Rifle Association, Member-Texas State Rifle Association
Old 06-09-2017, 10:45 PM

For plinking/range ammo I load my own but if I do buy it Fredom Munitions seems to have the best prices. Free shipping with your first order too.

For protection ammi Sportsman's Guide is usually the best price. They are also constantly running free shipping offers for $49 or $79 purchase depending on the week.
Old 06-09-2017, 10:55 PM

I've had very good luck with Freedom Munitions. I have not noticed any difference in performance between the their new and remanufactured rounds. They just sent an email out yesterday that said they were starting to carry ammo from other manufacturers to include Remington, PMC, UMC and Geco.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:45 PM

I find myself going with Target Sports #1 specially for bulk.
Sportsman's Outdoor for smaller orders of a few boxes when they have sales.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:33 AM

Target Sports is a good one.
Just keep an eye out for sales and free shipping.
Cal guns has a deals and specials forum categoty where members post deal alerts for ammo and other stuff.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:02 AM

I've bought from Ammoman and Midway USA, with no problems. These days I usually get my online ammo from Lucky Gunner.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:40 AM

I have used Ammo to Go on occasion. They have always been prompt and given good
service.
Philippians 4:13
Old 06-10-2017, 05:14 PM

Range ammo: Freedom Munitions. Wait for free shipping deals.

Defensive ammo: SPG ammo

Also. Dick's Sporting Goods. I'm in their reward program. With coupons and bonus dollars I'm getting 9mm around $8.50 a box for Winchester White Box or Remmington White/ Green Box.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:54 PM

I've really never had a bad experience buying ammo online, unless you count the few times I've checked out, paid, and had the order cancelled. People complain bitterly about that, but you're really not out anything. MassAmmo is another one to look at. They don't every have much selection, but you can get some good prices, especially on SD ammo i.e. HST's and Gold Dots. They run free shipping now and then.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:04 PM

SG Ammo always treats me good.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:10 PM

Target sports is want I use. Just ordered a case of 45/230 blazer.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:49 PM

I've had good luck with Freedom Munitions, Mass Ammo, Ammunition Depot, SG Ammo, Natchez Shooters Supply, and Palmetto State Armory.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:05 PM

Targetsportsusa. Free shipping on 1000 round cases
Old 06-11-2017, 10:47 AM

Location: The People's Republic of Illinois, most corrupt state in the Union.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardtollman View Post
I do like to shop locally but online pricing, and selection, for ammo is hard to beat. I don't have a lot of online buying experience and was hoping for some help with reliable stores.
Bulk is certainly the way to go, but I was just looking to try out a half dozen or so 50 rnd boxes of brands that aren't available locally.
I spent some time comparison shopping for some different 45 Auto and some had better pricing with higher shipping and others the opposite.
Some stores had good online reviews and others not so good.
These are some of the places I visited and was curious if you had any good or bad thoughts about them, or suggestions for others?

Target Sports USA
Ammo To Go
Able’s
Natchez Shooters Supplies
Cheaper Than Dirt
Botch

Thanks, and sorry if this has been covered. I did search first, but didn't see anything comprehensive.

One of the better sources is SGAmmo.com. Very competitive pricing, and they often have ammo that is unobtanium on other sites, especially in 50 rd boxes for the premium grade LEO/Duty/SD ammo. If you need bulk ammo for your AR/AK, they have tons of that as well. They also ship fast.

Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice - Barry Goldwater
When Injustice becomes Law, Resistance becomes Duty - Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-11-2017, 11:19 AM

Sgammo
Target sports usa
Brownells with coupon codes...

all have given me great deals and excellent service. I just picked up 500 rounds of Aguila 124 grain 9mm today for $89.90 shipped. can't beat that
Old 06-11-2017, 11:28 AM

I mainly use:

Freedom Munitions
LAX Ammo
Target Sports USA

I only order on shipping deals, usually 500 - 2,000 rounds.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:33 AM

One more for Target Sports. I've not had a problem with any others I have ordered from, many mentioned here already. TS has the lowest price per round on ammo I buy and I'll buy bulk for the free shipping.

Sportsmans Guide is good too. Outdoor Limited (not mentioned yet) gets orders out (by same or the next day) , has good prices but never seen free shipping.

Bottom line- Target Sports is the first place these days I look. And nice to read so many comments where 'we' have not had any issues with so many companies selling ammo on line. A relief.