I love engraved firearms. - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-06-2019, 01:44 PM

I love engraved firearms.

Nothing special here since I have only recently started to get interested in engraved pieces. I began with CNC'd machine engraving, then Photo engraving, then with Hand chased engraving and finally ended up with a custom ordered hand engraved revolver.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2019, 02:10 PM

You'll probably hear from several who don't like engraving, but I love engraved firearms too. My prized 1911 is a shiny, stainless Colt, Custom Shop, Series 80, pre-enhanced, done by Scott Pilkington with scrolls and inlays commemorating my Military service. BTW, there is an engraver who posts here on the Forum, The Mexican Engraver, who does outstanding work. I love looking at his you-tube videos. You've got a beautiful collection.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:21 PM

I have never been able to understand bling,or safe queens, bbq guns . Its working tools or it belongs to someone else but it does keep a lot of people employed .And art is just expesive pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2019, 02:27 PM

While I have no desire to own any engraved firearms, I certainly admire the creativity and craftsmanship required to do this. Those are nice examples.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:32 PM

Man has been adorning his weapons since the beginning of time. Swords and knives were embellished. Flintlocks and blunderbusses were embellished. Bombers and fighter-planes were and are embellished. I like something that says it's mine and nobody else's. Do we paint our homes, inside and out? Yes. Do we live on black furniture? Not usually. Do our cars have color and styling? Absolutely. Do you like pretty women? I do. You can't get away from art, aesthetics, color, design, and form. Attractive guns still shoot. They can kill you just as dead as ugly guns. But they do so with style.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:38 PM

I don't have any, but I like them.

Long ago I left the "guns are tools" camp. Because for most of us that's not entirely the case.

We here generally have more guns, and guns of of higher quality, than we need to do the job.

Because we LIKE them more than we like our actual tools.

They are sporting goods, art, collectibles, etc.

I'd be happy to own engraved guns. And if I did, I wouldn't bother with anything less than real, custom handwork. I'd skip the process of working up to the good stuff.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:59 PM

I do to, all the way back to my cap guns of the 50's.
I have engraved shotguns and handguns.
I shoot the trap gun over 8,000 times a year, the 1911 a few hundred times a year.
The two Colt SAA are for my two grandsons, one has never been fired, the one with stag grips is 116 years old, I'm sure it's been shot, but not by me.
I think engraving can be overdone and make the firearm look cheap . I feel the engraving should enhance the gun, not overpower it. You should first see the gun, then notice it's engraved.
Here is my collection.:
Old 04-06-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsvette View Post
Man has been adorning his weapons since the beginning of time. Swords and knives were embellished. Flintlocks and blunderbusses were embellished. Bombers and fighter-planes were and are embellished. I like something that says it's mine and nobody else's. Do we paint our homes, inside and out? Yes. Do we live on black furniture? Not usually. Do our cars have color and styling? Absolutely. Do you like pretty women? I do. You can't get away from art, aesthetics, color, design, and form. Attractive guns still shoot. They can kill you just as dead as ugly guns. But they do so with style.
I agree... but I draw the line when the embellishments are Aliens, Zombies, Donald Duck, Obama and other gaudy characters.

Name:  zombie-guns-zombie-weapons.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  8.6 KB
Old 04-06-2019, 04:41 PM

Very nice indeed. It could indeed grow on you. Might be a new goal.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:49 PM

SFC Rick,

What are the details of that Colt open top ... it’s beautiful!!!
Old 04-06-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 153 View Post
SFC Rick,

What are the details of that Colt open top ... its beautiful!!!
I ordered a 1872 Colt Open Top with Army sized grips in Charcoal Blue sporting a 7 1/2" barrel in .45Colt. It took Uberti one year and some days to finish it up. I called Cimarron Firearms who handled the custom order. I paid about $900 down and the balance when the revolver arrived at Cimarron. All told it was about $1500 which brings the total outlay up to $2400. It's not a bad price for hand engraving and a unusual revolver. Of course the value to me is a bit more since how do you put a price on the year long wait?
Old 04-06-2019, 05:19 PM

I (unfortunately ) "engrave" mine when the screwdriver tip falls on them the way you don't want it too.

Got a racing stripe down the cylinder of my Old Army that way.

Makes me realize that most SS alloys aren't as tough as we hope they would be.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnison View Post
I have never been able to understand bling,or safe queens, bbq guns . Its working tools or it belongs to someone else but it does keep a lot of people employed .And art is just expesive pictures.
I think a lot of gun owners are a bit too serious about the concept of guns being "working tools" these days. For some folks, if a gun isn't for keeping thugs, zombies, government agents or North Koreans at bay, or for playing gun games replicating said feats they're not interested. As much as I like shooting ARs and double-stack 9mms they are not what got me into this hobby. I like guns because at one time they were functional art forms, with beautiful blued finishes and finely-fitted steel parts. Embellishments such as engraving merely steps it up a notch. I'm just as ready for World War III as the rest of you, but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the fun side of firearms or from appreciating how a firearm can be the canvas for a skilled artisan. And unlike a sculpture or painting you can actually defend your home with it if necessary.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 04-06-2019, 06:16 PM

Truly beautiful works of metal art. Congrats.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-06-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
I agree... but I draw the line when the embellishments are Aliens, Zombies, Donald Duck, Obama and other gaudy characters.

Attachment 551872
Dude, I'm all over Aliens, Zombies, Donald Duck, and other gaudy characters. But not Obama. I would drag my gun behind a pick-up truck and scrape off the image of that douche before he was on one of my guns!!!
Old 04-06-2019, 07:33 PM

Nice oak-leaf scrollwork and other types of classic engraving can be a nice addition to a gun.

But I won't have flames, skulls, snakes, & that kind of stuff on anything I own.

It just seems too much like the decals adolescent boys put on their school binders .

Or the style of a Grave Digger lunchbox that's made to out-badass the competition's Punisher lunchbox.

I got out of that stuff while still a teenager.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:46 PM

I don't know how anyone can't like skulls, flames and snakes. That stuff rocks! Plus, I love the Punisher too. I'm going to be a teenager the rest of my life, at least in my mind.
Old 04-06-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
I don't know how anyone can't like skulls, flames and snakes. That stuff rocks! Plus, I love the Punisher too. I'm going to be a teenager the rest of my life, at least in my mind.
That stuff is ok but I am glad we got past the whole zombie craze. I am like you I'm growing old but not up.
Old 04-06-2019, 09:12 PM

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-07-2019, 08:00 AM

JBMI and Napoleon and SFC Rick, those are all beautiful firearms. If I could ever figure out how to post my engraved 1911 I'd have here too. I have cellphone photos, but that's where it stops.

I just went to an auction last week where the guy had several engraved guns, mainly old Winchester rifles. The one that sold for the most, $42,000 I believe, was engraved by a very famous old engraver, Nimsche, or something like that.
Old 04-07-2019, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
JBMI and Napoleon and SFC Rick, those are all beautiful firearms. If I could ever figure out how to post my engraved 1911 I'd have here too. I have cellphone photos, but that's where it stops.

I just went to an auction last week where the guy had several engraved guns, mainly old Winchester rifles. The one that sold for the most, $42,000 I believe, was engraved by a very famous old engraver, Nimsche, or something like that.
Hey brad, from your cell phone picture, send it to your email. Once in your email, save it to your hard drive, then follow Tootie's instructions in post 1831 in the thread page:
https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr...=14955&page=74

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 04-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Thanks G50. When my daughter comes to visit I'll refer her to your instructions. Or maybe I'll put my big-boy underpants on and read the freaking thing myself. Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2019, 01:38 PM

SFC Rick

Is that case colored 1911 a Standard Manufacturing factory engraved 1911?
Is the SAA with the eagle grips a Pietta Laser engraved TR revolver?

James

Last edited by depusm12; 04-07-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by depusm12 View Post
SFC Rick

Is that case colored 1911 a Standard Manufacturing factory engraved 1911?
Is the SAA with the eagle grips a Pietta Laser engraved TR revolver?

James
Yes the CCH Standard 1911 is the Engraved one, though I don't like the engraving because the factory applied clear coat makes it look very bad. However, I am thoroughly impressed by it's function and fit.

The SAA is NOT Pietta, it is a Uberti SAA using Photo Etching and then manually hand chased to add more depth. This is as close to actual hand engraving one can get for just shy of $1000. Well worth it to me. Available at Taylor and Company Distributors.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC Rick View Post
Nothing special here since I have only recently started to get interested in engraved pieces.
Nice gats!

I think theyre all special, hand or machine engraved, I dig the daylights out of engraved firearms. If I had the cash to burn, Id even have my airweight pocket pistol engraved.

One of these days, Id like to score an engraved SAA wheelgun. For now, I have a couple of engraved Colt ANVs, one machine and one by hand, this is the one by hand.