Old 12-07-2019, 10:01 AM

Dec. 7, 1941!

We were thrown into WW2.
It's a day not to forget!
Old 12-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Banned

Never forget.

Boy was that stupid or what?

Last edited by Dddrees; 12-07-2019 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
I would say audacious is more fitting. In the paltry treatment I got in my history classes in school, what was not described was the scope of the Japanese attack. Not only did they strike Pearl Harbor but also Singapore, Hong Kong, malaya, the Philippines, and of course Guam. A few weeks later they pressed an assault against the Dutch East Inidies.

The Japanese forces were spread very thin and they were keenly aware that they had made an all-or-nothing commitment. They were so tenuous in their coverage that the presence of a mere two British capital ships (Force Z) off the coast of Malaya -- which would have otherwise been a laughable token effort by the British Royal Navy -- seriously threatened the success of those landings and could in turn have led to an unraveling of their strategy.

BTW, I notice the sanctimonious sons of bitches at Google don't seem to think of the loss of life and accompanying acts of heroic resistance worthy of any commemoration. I guess it's not PC enough for them.

Last edited by Pale Face; 12-07-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 10:57 AM

Infamy! The best thing we can do is to pass this important history on to our children and grandchildren. They need to hear the truth and the facts, not some commie liberal abbreviated version.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:59 AM

When I typed in Dec 7, 1941 into the Google search this is what came up. Notice that the most prominent results is for a damned movie about the attack.
Attached Thumbnails
Why I hate Google.jpg  
Old 12-07-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dddrees View Post
Never forget.

It was the turning point in WW2.

Don't trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz. He WILL rip you off.
All my 1911s are in .45acp. Why? Because size matters.--Me
The 9mm Punibellum is a SD cartridge fit only for women and Europeans--Me
Old 12-07-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Face View Post
Notice that the most prominent results is for a damned movie about the attack.
Sounds about right. That's how my kids learned about it in school, by watching a Hollywood movie. You'll notice they also describe it as "The tragic bombing", like it was an earthquake or tornado, or something

Last edited by L.E.; 12-07-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
I would say audacious is more fitting. In the paltry treatment I got in my history classes in school, what was not described was the scope of the Japanese attack. Not only did they strike Pearl Harbor but also Singapore, Hong Kong, malaya, the Philippines, and of course Guam. A few weeks later they pressed an assault against the Dutch East Inidies.

The Japanese forces were spread very thin and they were keenly aware that they had made an all-or-nothing commitment. They were so tenuous in their coverage that the presence of a mere two British capital ships (Force Z) off the coast of Malaya -- which would have otherwise been a laughable token effort by the British Royal Navy -- seriously threatened the success of those landings and could in turn have led to an unraveling of their strategy.

BTW, I notice the sanctimonious sons of bitches at Google don't seem to think of the loss of life and accompanying acts of heroic resistance worthy of any commemoration. I guess it's not PC enough for them.
I see it very comparable to what Germany did with relation to Russia and then by declaring War on the U.S..

Both much smaller and lacking the ability to really defeat someone of much greater size. But then again they both suffered from over grown head syndrome based on how far they had gotten to that point in time. Doesn't hurt that everybody else was simply and totally unprepared and unwilling till that point.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:52 PM

For a lot of young men.

It was the end of the world.

I guess that most of the survivors are even gone now. It is fitting that the Mighty Mo is moored nearby. Alpha Omega, the beginning and the end.

Note that the anchor for the Arizona was cast in 1911.
Attached Thumbnails
Old pictures 5504.JPG   Old pictures 552.JPG   Old pictures 574.JPG   Old pictures 556.JPG   Old pictures 3439.JPG  
Old 12-07-2019, 01:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
It was the end of the world.

I guess that most of the survivors are even gone now. It is fitting that the Mighty Mo is moored nearby. Alpha Omega, the beginning and the end.

Note that the anchor for the Arizona was cast in 1911.
I made it a point when me and my wife vacationed on Maui to take the tour of Pearl Harbor and I am very glad that I did.

20yrs Army (RET), it was extremely important to me.

The greatest generation. Really wish often we could go back in time when these were what our country was known for. Not back to war but back to some of those very values. Not all was perfect, just to bad we can't pick and choose.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:10 PM

Prior to the Pearl Harbor attack FDR's hands were tied in trying to get the US involved in the war taking place in Europe. The fleet that was attacked was based in San Francisco and had ended up in Pearl Harbor as part of a naval exercise that took place while sailing the Pacific. The fleet was schedule to sail a few days before December 7th, but was ordered by FDR to stay put. The Japanese attacked, and Hitler having signed a compact with Tojo declared war on the US. This was the biggest single mistake Hitler made, if he did not declare war on the US, FDR had no grounds to fight in the open in Europe. For anyone interested in reading about this period in history they can read "Day Of Deceit" by Rober B Stinnett. He served in the Navy from 1942 to 1946 earning 10 battle stars and a Presidential Unit Citation. There was a lot going on at this period of time than a good many Americans of that era were aware of.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midrat View Post
Prior to the Pearl Harbor attack FDR's hands were tied in trying to get the US involved in the war taking place in Europe. The fleet that was attacked was based in San Francisco and had ended up in Pearl Harbor as part of a naval exercise that took place while sailing the Pacific. The fleet was schedule to sail a few days before December 7th, but was ordered by FDR to stay put. The Japanese attacked, and Hitler having signed a compact with Tojo declared war on the US. This was the biggest single mistake Hitler made, if he did not declare war on the US, FDR had no grounds to fight in the open in Europe. For anyone interested in reading about this period in history they can read "Day Of Deceit" by Rober B Stinnett. He served in the Navy from 1942 to 1946 earning 10 battle stars and a Presidential Unit Citation. There was a lot going on at this period of time than a good many Americans of that era were aware of.
Given the circumstances I believe it was thought because those ships were located in shallower water it was thought due to the nature of torpedoes up to that time they would not be as vulnerable.

It was just a good thing our aircraft carriers were located elsewhere.

Last edited by Dddrees; 12-07-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 02:09 PM

As of September 2019, there are only three surviving crew members left from the battleship USS Arizona, lost at 0806 on 07 December 1941

Don Stratton, 97, Lou Conter, 98, and Ken Potts, 98.

USS Arizona still contains an estimated 500,000 gallons of Bunker C fuel oil within her hull.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:19 PM

Visited Pearl Harbor in November 2018 and took these pics of the USS Arizona and USS Utah Memorials. The Arizona Memorial was undergoing maintenance work so was off-limits until September 2019. I took a walk along the shore of Ford Island and went a short distance north of the Mighty Mo to snap my pic of the Arizona. The big bomb crater on the south end of Ford Island was interesting too.

Old 12-07-2019, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piexcel View Post
Visited Pearl Harbor in November 2018 and took these pics of the USS Arizona and USS Utah Memorials. The Arizona Memorial was undergoing maintenance work so was off-limits until September 2019. I took a walk along the shore of Ford Island and went a short distance north of the Mighty Mo to snap my pic of the Arizona. The big bomb crater on the south end of Ford Island was interesting too.

There was tons of construction at various sites going on during my visit about 9 years ago, but luckily the memorial was open then.
Old 12-07-2019, 03:46 PM

The jerks at Apple donít even have this day marked on the iOS calendar. Or 9/11 for that matter.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:56 PM

My dad was stationed at Pear Harbor and left shortly before the attack. While he was in the Panama Canal on his way home there was a riot of some sort and they pulled sailors off the ship to help control the situation. He was shot and lost a kidney and lived with just 1 for the rest of his life. When he recovered he worked at the Remington Rand company in Syracuse New York inspecting and test firing .45 autos.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:17 PM

Thanks to those posting pictures. We owe a huge debt to that gen. 3 years ago a friend died who fought & was wounded in the pacific. He took japanese shrapnel to the grave with him. I salute them all!
Perhaps Sir Winston Churchill said it best! Never has so much been owed by so many to so few.
Old 12-07-2019, 08:11 PM

Spent it at the range, it was packed, and more than a few USN hats were seen.

o7
-----------------------^--------
Member NRA, GOA, SAF, VCDL, FL Carry
Old 12-07-2019, 09:15 PM

And now all of the usual bed wetters are all in a fuss.

They are all concerned about the bunkers leaking out of the hull. Probably not giving a whole lot of thought to the blood that went out of that vessel long ago. Some people make me sick.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Quote:
When I typed in Dec 7, 1941 into the Google search this is what came up. Notice that the most prominent results is for a damned movie about the attack.
Funny how Google always takes the time to honors some author or civil rights icon whenever their birthday comes around, but they won't do anything to commemorate something like Pearl Harbor.

Fortunately I have something in my study that commemorates it all year long.

Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:21 PM

Very cool Dana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Funny how Google always takes the time to honors some author or civil rights icon whenever their birthday comes around, but they won't do anything to commemorate something like Pearl Harbor.

Fortunately I have something in my study that commemorates it all year long.

How long did it take you to put it together?
Old 12-12-2019, 08:41 AM

My family will always remember, My dad volunteered early in 42 and by October was on a ship headed to North Africa, Never Forget
Old 12-12-2019, 01:38 PM

It is a wonder that all of those bunker tanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye fan View Post
As of September 2019, there are only three surviving crew members left from the battleship USS Arizona, lost at 0806 on 07 December 1941

Don Stratton, 97, Lou Conter, 98, and Ken Potts, 98.

USS Arizona still contains an estimated 500,000 gallons of Bunker C fuel oil within her hull.
That they did not open up in the initial blast. Good thing too as no doubt this would have been the cause for even more casualties. Also a testament to her stout rivetted construction.
Old 12-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
How long did it take you to put it together?
Exactly one year. I started working on it on Pearl Harbor Day 2010 and ceremoniously glued on the last piece on Dec 7, 2011, the 70th anniversary of the attack. A lot of weekends though were spent doing research and trying to fix some of the accuracy flaws in the kit.

Quote:
That they did not open up in the initial blast. Good thing too as no doubt this would have been the cause for even more casualties. Also a testament to her stout riveted construction.
When the forward magazine blew up the force was vented up and forward, destroying the entire front 1/3 of the ship but amazingly doing little damage to the rear 2/3 where most of the fuel oil was stored. I read Paul Stillwell's book on the Arizona, and many of the ship's crew on the quarterdeck didn't even realize the ship had completely blown up at first. It wasn't until the resulting fireball grew so immense and began to consume the forward part of the ship that they realized what had happened. After the attack the Navy hoped to refloat the Arizona and either rebuild or salvage the ship, but when the divers went down they found the entire hull was cracked from one side to the other in the area of the forward turrets. Had she suffered the same fate while out at sea she'd have broken in half as she sank, just like HMS Hood did.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.