.22 Conversion kit for Hi-Power - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 04-04-2020, 04:29 PM

.22 Conversion kit for Hi-Power

Anybody have any experience with one of these? Peters-Stahl conversion kit. PSW III .22LR,C&S Firearms corp. HP 100 Waukesha,WI. I think it may have been associated with Pachmayr somehow? The slide release/takedown pin says Pachmayr on it and the original Magazine has a Pachmayr base pad. Extra mag is "homemade". Appears to be very well made.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0417.jpg   IMG_0418.jpg   IMG_0419.jpg   IMG_0421.jpg   IMG_0422.jpg  
Old 04-04-2020, 11:22 PM

Sorry...don't know much about the Peters Stahl conversion kits and have never seen one.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that PACHMAYR was the US importer/distributor for the German manufactured PETER STAHL .22 LR conversion kits for the Hi Power and several other pistols.

What I do know is that almost ANY .22 LR semi-auto pistol tends to be ammo-sensitive (often times downright contankerous)...conversion kit equipped semi-autos especially so. From years of owning and shooting .22 LR semi-autos.....I'd strongly recommend (to save potential annoyance & aggravation) that you use top quality, high-velocity .22LR (1,200+ fps). Of all of the various manufacturers and .22 LR variants....CCI MINI MAGS (either solid or hollow point) function (feed, fire, eject) almost flawlessly in any .22 LR semi-auto that I've shot. Remington Golden Bullets and Aguilla Super Extra also feed. fire and eject remarkably well. So start with CCI Mini Mags and experiment with other ammos to find out which function best with this H-P .22 conversion.

Last edited by KDKSAIL; 04-04-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:05 AM

Mine came in a PACHMAYR box. Once fitted to the pistol it functioned reliably. Have not shoot it in years but when I did just used Remington Hi Speed 22 Long Rifle ammo.
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.
Colt M1911A1 - As American as Skippy Extra Crunchy and a Ford Mustang.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2020, 08:20 PM

Hey Wizard, define "fitted" Please! this thing is giving me fits. Very tight on the rails of lower frame and drags hard on the hammer on the blowback. This kit is high quality and is very well made but needs fine tuned.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:19 AM

Raydog59, Did your kit come with instructions? Mine did! PM me with your email address and I will send you a pdf file of them.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:12 AM

>>>...drags hard on the hammer on the blowback...<<<

How would you define "..drags hard.." ??

Is there a problem with ejection of the spent cartridge after firing ??
Old 04-07-2020, 08:36 PM

Yes! Ejection and feeding as well. Makes me want to knock about 10-20 thousandths off the hammer and try it. Don't want to have to change out the hammer to convert it but might get there to get it to run.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydog59 View Post
Yes! Ejection and feeding as well. Makes me want to knock about 10-20 thousandths off the hammer and try it. Don't want to have to change out the hammer to convert it but might get there to get it to run.
Which .22LR ammo(s) have you tried to run through your H-P conversion kit so far ??

***BEFORE*** you begin tinkering the hammer and the conversion kit with potentially damaging tools (and no real idea what you're doin')....try using different .22 LR ammo(s). Start with CCI MINI MAGS and if that doesn't make an improvement...then others high velocity .22LR ammo.

It's a little known pseudo-historical fact that before he enrolled in the University of Athens Medical School, Hippocrates was an avid marksman. When he coined the phrase, "..First, do no harm..'...he was talking about D-I-Y gunsmithing....not medicine.

Last edited by KDKSAIL; 04-07-2020 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:11 PM

Have a couple of Hi Power conversion kits, one is a Ciener, well made and quite accurate. The other one is a Peter Stahls unit imported by Pachmayr. Paid about double what the Ciener unit went for. Had problems with it feeding and ejecting properly. Put it back in the box and forgot all about it till I saw your post.

I'm a big fan of Peter Stahls multi-caliber 1911's. Have one that switches out from 38 super, 45ACP and 10mm. Superb workmanship and quality. That's why I was surprised that the BHP Stahl unit didn't perform well.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:29 PM

I've tried all the common readily available ammo with no improvement. And I wouldn't desecrate the original stock hammer but it aint gunna bother me to buy one and replace it! Wizard sent me the Pachmayr instruction booklet and one of the first things I seen was "it may be necessary to radius the hammer" and change the mainspring.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydog59 View Post
.....Wizard sent me the Pachmayr instruction booklet and one of the first things I seen was "it may be necessary to radius the hammer" and change the mainspring.
Interesting, that may be why I had trouble with mine. Would you be so kind as to post the instructions?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:12 PM

>>>...I've tried all the common readily available ammo with no improvement...<<<

Specifically....which .22LR ammo did you try to run through the pistol (FPS + Ft.Lb.) ??

There is a tried and true principle--K.I.S.S--which translates to: Keep It Simple Stupid.

Almost every time I hear the term "..common readily available ammo.." for .22 semi-autos, it usually translates to the '..I bought the cheapest bulk pack on the shelves.."...or.."..I used an old box that I found on a shelf in my workshop.."...which much more often than not simply won't run well through most .22LR semi-autos.....and then I hear, "..There must be something wrong with this damn pistol..".

So....once again ***BEFORE*** you go tinkering with the pistol and possibly doing more harm than good to a perfectly innocent Hi Power...TRY DIFFERENT high velocity (1,200+ fps...CCI Mini Mags, Remington Golden Bullets, etc) AMMO to see if your problem isn't a simple case of ammo sensitivity. No harm/no foul will come to your pistol if it doesn't correct the problem...and you will have eliminated the simplest of potential problems....without recourse to unnecessary pistol surgery.

K.I.S.S.

P.S.....22 LR ammo that works just fine in a locked-breach/bolt action design, striker fired, semi-auto '..target pistol..' ('Browning Buckmark', 'Ruger Mark', 'Colt Woodsman", etc) won't necessarily work nearly as well in most blowback design,-hammer-fired, semi-autos (Ruger SR22, Sig Mosquito, Walther P22, etc.). They tend to be two very different designs that both happen to be chambered for .22 LR.

Last edited by KDKSAIL; 04-08-2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:03 AM

Rembrandt, do as Raydog59 did and you too can have the instructions.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:01 PM

That Browning frame is from a Centennial isnít it ?

I have no experience but those conversions are quite common here in Switzerland for the Sig P210, and they are as expensive as the original Sig conversion

Old 04-09-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLASSIC12 View Post
That Browning frame is from a Centennial isnít it ?

I have no experience but those conversions are quite common here in Switzerland for the Sig P210, and they are as expensive as the original Sig conversion

NO...but close. It's one of the 11,006 Polished Nickel models, produced between 1980-1986. Both were Polished Nickel w/ gold-plated triggers and 'B' medallions inserted into the grip panels.

The primary difference between the 'Centennial' commemorative model and the 'regular' Polished Nickel models was the stamping on the right-side of the slide '..BROWNING CENTENNIAL 1878-1978..' and the beveled edges of the 'b' medallion checkered, walnut grips (as opposed to 'standard' grips..some with and some without 'B' medallions)