CMP RR/US&S Service grade - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-05-2020, 09:01 PM

CMP RR/US&S Service grade

Came in today, not bad! Not my first choice of slide manufacturer but I would say meets “service grade”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by cw410; 02-05-2020 at 09:06 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:42 AM

Congratulations, US&S receiver and REMRAND slide; from the pictures looks like a nice gun.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Nice one, looks real clean.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2020, 11:49 AM

Congrats! Looks like a nice pistol.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:08 PM

Lucky.
Old 02-08-2020, 11:06 PM

What tells us it is a US&S receiver?
Old 02-09-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ray View Post
Serial number and inspectors mark.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:22 AM

The hang tag visible in the top picture says it has a US&S frame, also.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ray View Post
Serial number, inspector's mark, spacing of the M 1911 A1 U.S.ARMY, profile of the finger relief cuts..... oh and yes, that all-important hang tag.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:56 AM

dsk
What do you mean when you say the "profile of the finger relief cuts"? Is there something specific or is there a combination of things?
Thanks.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Serial number, inspector's mark, spacing of the M 1911 A1 U.S.ARMY, profile of the finger relief cuts..... oh and yes, that all-important hang tag.
DSK, do you know what the “A 4 83” means? I take it it refers to an armory rebuild date...

There are some people tearing their hair out trying to find out, even submitting FOIA requests to the Army and Marine corps, etc.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:35 PM

I also got one this week from CMP.

Check out the CMP forum.

http://forums.thecmp.org

That forum is also in Tapatalk if you use it.

Those marks in the right side above the trigger guard are codes for Arsenal rebuilds. I haven’t done enough research on mine yet to know what they mean.

I got a 1943 Ithaca with Remington Rand slide, service grade. Parkerized after rebuild and then never issued. I’m pleased with what I got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2020, 09:12 AM

I realize this is an old thread but I just saw it. Nice gun. I have the opposite set; US&S slide on RR frame, AA marked.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:11 AM

Neato! So envious - I want one just like it. At this point, I will take anything. My RNG is in the 18,000 range-hopefully I can still acquire one in the future. I've long had a thing for US&S pistols; my old unit had a 1911 in my section opposite of yours - a RR frame with a US&S slide. Granma worked for the Great Northern railroad (later Burlington Northern) for decades and retired - US&S still makes equipment for railroads that is used nationwide. I saw an RCD stamped mix-master captured in Mess-O-potamia which quite a few guys got excited about because they thought they had found a "Singer"...sorry to be the bearer of bad news...don't shoot the messenger! Despite all the guns and grenades at hand, nobody got hurt although a few feathers were ruffled until we looked it up online and had to show them the various stamps & S/n ranges.
In the 1970s & 80s, Anniston Arsenal typically stamped their rebuilds with an "AA"; does anyone know which Arsenal the single "A" represents? (Augusta Arsenal closed in 1955 so 'April (19)83' is not a possibility)
Old 04-02-2020, 11:24 AM

Augusta is AA. Anniston is A, and its 4/83. We know its Anniston because they dated them.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Augusta is AA. Anniston is A, and its 4/83. We know its Anniston because they dated them.
we know its Anniston, and not Albany?
Old 04-03-2020, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdvan View Post
I realize this is an old thread but I just saw it. Nice gun. I have the opposite set; US&S slide on RR frame, AA marked.
Sounds like you and the OP might be meeting in a parking lot someday.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Anniston is ANAD Month Year, A is thought to be Albany Month Year. There are examples of CMP released pistols that have the same month and year with both ANAD and A stampings for the same month and year.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:50 AM

I made a TYPO: I meant to say that "AA" equals Augusta Arsenal and therefore could not possibly be the Arsenal since it closed in 1955. Since "ANAD" is known to be Anniston (and is currently still in use for repair of certain types of weapons), what could the "A" represent? Survey says; it appears to be Albany. Anyone have any documentation on that? Thanks for researching the topic.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filson View Post
dsk
What do you mean when you say the "profile of the finger relief cuts"? Is there something specific or is there a combination of things?
Thanks.
Still looking for an answer. Anyone?
Old 04-05-2020, 09:25 AM

I agree that Anniston is typically 'ANAD'. I thought maybe that as late as it was done, 1983, which was also the year in which the M9 was adapted as the military pistol, perhaps things were a little 'looser'. This must be the last .45 to be rebuilt! But seriously, it had to be one of the last. I guess if there was an arsenal called 'Albany' that it could be that.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:42 PM

Albany is Marine Corps Logistics Base Albany located in Albany, GA

https://www.albany.marines.mil/
Old 04-05-2020, 04:36 PM

For what it's worth. I was a US Army Commanding Officer during the issue of the M9 and "turn-in" of the 1911/1911A1s. We turned in our 1911/1911A1s in October 1985 and were issued M9's on a one for one exchange basis. Interestingly, we were at Grafenwohr, Germany for our semi annual tank gunnery and were issued our new M9s on the pistol qualification range(s).
The old pistols were cleaned, jointly inventoried by serial number, placed in weapons storage/shipping crates, sealed and transferred to the Grafenwohr Training Area authorities for disposition.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Quote:
dsk
Thanks.
Quote:
Still looking for an answer. Anyone?
Both Singer and US&S frames each had a very distinctive shape to the milled finger relief cuts. I've spotted many fakes simply because the cuts didn't look right. If you look at enough of them you can see what I'm talking about, but unfortunately there's no way I can explain it to you other than to look at multiple examples and see how they're all shaped the same.

Last edited by dsk; 04-07-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:56 PM

I understand. What I think I've noticed since you mentioned the finger reliefs is the USS seems to have a very slight, longer tear drop look, as contrasted to others which appear more oval.