Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-28-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post
"It is an absolutely beautiful pistol..."

Yet more proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Never insult another man's wife, and don't disparage his pistol either.

I apologize for having a different opinion. Don't want to further global warming by melting the Snowflakes.
Old 11-28-2019, 07:57 AM

definitely on my radar
Old 11-28-2019, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

That rear sight overhanging the back of the slide is a nasty wart on an otherwise attractive pistol. Kind of like having a bicycle rack on a Ferrari.

Rosco
Old 11-28-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:
"It is an absolutely beautiful pistol..."

Yet more proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Never insult another man's wife, and don't disparage his pistol either.

I apologize for having a different opinion. Don't want to further global warming by melting the Snowflakes.
Awww come on bullet bob! You couldn’t even come up with one intelligent stinger before resorting to the ol’ call em a snowflake or a lefty because you’re getting mad and can’t think of anything that makes sense tactic?

Last edited by cw410; 11-28-2019 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:50 AM

Heads up for new owners of this pistol...

For those of you that have recently or are soon to pick one of these up:

When you take receipt of this pistol, before you do anything else, remove the slide from the frame and loctite the two screws for adjusting pre travel and reset. They are free floating and will come out and get lost otherwise. As such, I’m missing my pre travel adjustment screw. I’m not sure if it was missing in the first place, got lost during handling prior to me receiving it, or I lost it. But it’s missing now. And if you are looking at one of these in a shop, ask to disassemble and ensure that the screws are there in the first place.

I would say don’t make the same mistake I did, but at this point I’m not entirely sure I’m to blame.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:00 PM

I admittedly don't pay much attention to the new pistol market since I live behind the iron curtain. I also have a soft spot for my Beretta and when I got wind of a hopped up 92 with all the good parts and a frame mounted safety I can't help but get excited. Although as Rosco said the rear sight overhang is kind of an eyesore but that's the same on every 92 with an adjustable sight.

I look forward to seeing a full range report. Meanwhile I'll have to settle for a faux 92X by modding my M9A1 with the Xtreme-S trigger group at least Beretta had a 30% off code this weekend.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOvalBandit View Post
Although as Rosco said the rear sight overhang is kind of an eyesore but that's the same on every 92 with an adjustable sight.
At least it’s a lot less noticeable with the hammer down.

Hope it makes it on the CA roster at some point!
Old 12-02-2019, 05:42 PM

I need to make a correction regarding my previous post. The 92x performance as it exists now does NOT come with a pre travel adjustment screw, though there is an empty threaded hole for one. I spoke with a representative at Beretta today and he stated that the model currently out is the production class model and does not have a pre travel screw. The “standard” and “limited” class trims will be SAO and will come with both adjustment screws. Since they all share the same frame, the hole for the pre travel screw is there but empty on the production class model. For some reason there was supposed to be a notice in the manual explaining this but it didn’t make it into the printed version of the manual sent out with this batch of pistols. Sorry for putting out bogus info guys.

Also...I ran 400 rounds through it today. I’ll post a more detailed report a bit later but in short...it’s fantastic, I’m loving this pistol.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw410 View Post
I need to make a correction regarding my previous post. The 92x performance as it exists now does NOT come with a pre travel adjustment screw, though there is an empty threaded hole for one. I spoke with a representative at Beretta today and he stated that the model currently out is the production class model and does not have a pre travel screw. The ďstandardĒ and ďlimitedĒ class trims will be SAO and will come with both adjustment screws. Since they all share the same frame, the hole for the pre travel screw is there but empty on the production class model. For some reason there was supposed to be a notice in the manual explaining this but it didnít make it into the printed version of the manual sent out with this batch of pistols. Sorry for putting out bogus info guys.

Also...I ran 400 rounds through it today. Iíll post a more detailed report a bit later but in short...itís fantastic, Iím loving this pistol.
Looking forward to the range report.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:14 AM

Range report

Yesterday I grabbed an M9A3, the 92X, and 500 rounds and headed out with the plan being to shoot a hundred or so through the 92X and a few magazines through the M9A3 for comparison. I actually ended up shooting 400 through the 92X and the remaining hundred through the M9. Yes, it was that fun. I donít do competitions or own any other pistols that are geared towards them so I donít know how the 92X compares to other pistols of this type. But this thing is very very fun to shoot. I didnít want to stop shooting it.

It was actually printing high and right for me at 10 yards, a first for me. I used the little sight adjustment tool and easily fixed that within a magazine. Iíll have to take special care to ensure I donít lose that tool. Itís tiny. The gun makes it easy for you to just shoot...quickly and accurately. The trigger pull and reset is a large part of this. As is the weight, and on that note switching from the 92X to the M9A3 made the M9A3 seem...at the risk of sounding like a pansy, a bit rude. I know that sounds odd. All you really have to worry about is the front sight and you can send the rounds at whatever speed you desire, although it prefers to go fast. It did take a few magazines to settle in to a pistol of this sort, and it also took a little bit to get used to the frame mounted safety being present on a 92. The functioning of the safety is just right, positive...not too stiff, and not too easily activated/deactivated. However I do find it a little too large and may consider a smaller one if they become available. No malfunctions, no bobbles, just a nice afternoon of putting the fiber optic where I wanted the rounds to go and hammering away.

The gun got quite dirty, but the Nistan finish seems a bit similar to a nickel boron and cleans up very easily. I noted very little wear when cleaning, definitely nothing abnormal. This is easily one of the most, if not the most fun and enjoyable pistol to shoot in my collection right now.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:53 PM

My stock, blued 92fs is what a pistol should look like. I can't think of one good thing to say about this pistol's look. Sorry, just being honest.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjb1911 View Post
My stock, blued 92fs is what a pistol should look like. I can't think of one good thing to say about this pistol's look. Sorry, just being honest.
I donít think you need to apologize for your opinion unless youíre trying to impose it on others...to each his own.

The looks seem to be quite polarizing. I like the looks of my tan M9A3, my black M9A3, and this pistol. However this pistol is far more fun to shoot.

I keep hearing people say the 90-two is butt ugly but I like the looks of that one also, I would like to have one.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:21 AM

OK got to ask did you do any draw strokes? If so how did it feel coming from the holster and on target?

Also have you heard anything about a fix replacement for that rear? Is it the same sized notch as the M9/92 or is it cut different?

I cut my teeth so to speak on the 92, first in the Corps and later police so I have over 50k downrange with them and find them to be both accurate and reliable, if not a touch big and heavy for what they are.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2734 View Post
OK got to ask did you do any draw strokes? If so how did it feel coming from the holster and on target?

Also have you heard anything about a fix replacement for that rear? Is it the same sized notch as the M9/92 or is it cut different?

I cut my teeth so to speak on the 92, first in the Corps and later police so I have over 50k downrange with them and find them to be both accurate and reliable, if not a touch big and heavy for what they are.
Ok so here are some issues. This pistol doesn’t fit my holsters for my other m9’s because of the safety. Also the cut for the rear sight is different than my other 92 series guns.

As far as the presentations they are smooth and acquiring a sight picture is lightning fast, whatever your other opinions on the sights they do present an excellent sight picture and are easily adjusted.

If you think a standard 92 is a bit heavy this one will really get you, it’s easily a 3 lb. gun with a loaded magazine. The significant upside to this is that the recoil impulse is very pleasant. I’ve shot 22LR pistols that have more jolt to them. If you cut things down to the bleeding edge, I would imagine the weight slows the draw stroke over a lighter pistol but you can really plug the rounds where you want them and in a hurry thanks to the trigger and the weight.

In coming from a background in the Corps and LE you probably understand looking at things through a two way range lens, which is where my experience speaks as well. I have no competition background to draw from. That being said I would have to pick a standard M9 over this if we’re talking fighting. For fun it would be the 92X performance. But if we’re talking recreational shooting or some type of competition I would rock the 92X all day and have a great time doing it. It ps just a damn fun pistol to shoot. I’m already fighting the urge to take it out again but at this rate I’m going to burn through all my ammo.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw410 View Post
That being said I would have to pick a standard M9 over this if weíre talking fighting. For fun it would be the 92X performance. But if weíre talking recreational shooting or some type of competition I would rock the 92X all day and have a great time doing it. It ps just a damn fun pistol to shoot. Iím already fighting the urge to take it out again but at this rate Iím going to burn through all my ammo.
I think this is a good point. Folks, especially those on a 1911 forum, get locked into the frame mounted safety, but the 92X Performance is really a game gun.

The rest of the 92X line-up will probably fill the needs of most folks. The 92X Performance is a specialized gun.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:27 AM

OK fun gun. I'll buy that.

Sometimes you just want to enjoy some rounds down range. Not every range trip has to be about working on the draw from seated, one hand barricade, one had reload and other tactical stuff.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:45 AM

I bought one a couple weeks ago, here is my initial take on it.

So far I've put about 530 rounds through the 92X Performance.

The trigger measures about 6.5# in DA and 3.3 # in SA. Weight of the gun without a magazine is 2 lbs, 13 oz.

The reliability was perfect with both included magazines. I was shooting reloads, 115gr Brazos coated LRN atop 4.6gr Titegroup. Accuracy of this load in this gun was mediocre, about 2" at 15 yards. I didn't have any other ammo with me to test with. I don't know if they had any special accuracy requirements for this gun; I did detect slight movement of the muzzle when the barrel is in battery, so that's not great.

Shooting impressions: Sights provided a good picture. I'm going to nitpick the front fiber sight a bit and say that the fiber was placed higher than I like. I'm used to Dawsons, which are easier to align vertically. I found myself looking for the top of the black front sight to get alignment for precise shots, only to find glowing dot there. So I'll probably replace that. The rear sight was easy to adjust, I had to dial it a few clicks up and over to get my hits where I wanted.

I disliked the "gas pedal" style takedown lever. It's only large enough to get maybe half the tip of my thumb onto it, and the edges and corner are far too sharp for comfort. I'm going to look into swapping it out for a standard 92 part. I shot most of the time with my thumb underneath it.

I also wasn't fond of the slide stop's angled tab. Its proximity to the safety lever and its downward rake of the tab meant it was more difficult to find and hit than it should have been. I'm not really sure why they didn't use a standard 92 part; maybe they were worried that people who ride the safety would accidentally hold it down with the tip of their thumb.

The thumb safety was OK: it had a good tension on and off, and the extended "shelf" was easily reached by the thumb, although I would have preferred it to extend further back. Beretta says they will offer 3 different sizes of safety lever, but I haven't been able to find out what they look like yet.

The safety did make slide manipulation a bit more of a challenge than I'm used to on 92s. Between the location of the serrations (low on the slide) and the prominent safety levers, it makes grabbing the "sweet spot" more of a challenge -- if you grab too low, your fingers will be blocked by the safety. I'm glad they included forward serrations, they're probably going to see a lot of use on this gun.

The frame serrations were a bit of a help, but not what I'd call sharp enough to be really useful, and the slick nickel/tin finish wasn't helpful here. I would skateboard tape over the frontstrap if I were going to do much competing with it... not that such a heavy gun is all that hard to hang onto in 9mm, but I like my grip to be locked in.

The built-in mag funnel was well done. No lanyard loop, and it looks like you can get to the mainspring housing pin without taking the grips off. I thought the beavertail might prove to be a problem due to its sharp corners, but that was pretty much a non-issue.
Attached Thumbnails
92x-01_jpg-1175871.jpg   92x-02_jpg-1175872.jpg  
Old 12-11-2019, 04:49 PM

Your lucky. Cheapest here in canada is 2,000 with tax for one. They just started hitting the shelves. Been thinking of buying one but I haven't decided. I found a 1911 les baer with 1.5gaurantee for $2200 with round count of 200 so am split between which one too take.

Always wanted a top of line les baer but I love beretta especially this new one with the 3pound trigger
Old 12-12-2019, 11:25 AM

This was not a gun I was really needing, but I missed out on the Billennium when it came out and I told myself that if Beretta ever made another frame safety model, I was going to have one. If this takes off, it's possible they will extend the frame safety pattern to other parts of their 92 line.