Beretta 92X performance - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-26-2019, 06:16 AM

Beretta 92X performance

I have been looking for one of these since May or so and finally found one. Range report to follow after thanksgiving. Guys, these are starting to show up now, donít go paying 1700+ for one on gunbroker, I donít get why people are doing that. It is an absolutely beautiful pistol and I canít wait to try it, wish there were some competitions around here so I could put it through itís paces in the manner which it was intended for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2019, 07:31 AM

"It is an absolutely beautiful pistol..."

Yet more proof that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw410 View Post
I have been looking for one of these since May or so and finally found one. Range report to follow after thanksgiving. Guys, these are starting to show up now, donít go paying 1700+ for one on gunbroker, I donít get why people are doing that. It is an absolutely beautiful pistol and I canít wait to try it, wish there were some competitions around here so I could put it through itís paces in the manner which it was intended for.

Iíve been waiting for these to show up as well. A few reviews are just now starting to pop up online. A YouTube guy goes by Justin Opinion has released a brief intro video and has a full review coming out through gunsamerica shortly. He certainly seemed to like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post

Oh are we doing idioms now? I think thereís one about opinions and a$$holes...

Thanks bud.
Old 11-26-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmthomp32 View Post
Iíve been waiting for these to show up as well. A few reviews are just now starting to pop up online. A YouTube guy goes by Justin Opinion has released a brief intro video and has a full review coming out through gunsamerica shortly. He certainly seemed to like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I actually did see his video. I have to admit Iím not impressed with the trigger in single action mode. DA is good and the reset is impressive but the SA doesnít seem markedly better when compared side by side with any of my M9A3ís, although those have a considerable amount of rounds through them. When I get around to finding my gauge I may consider sending it back if it doesnít read out as advertised, which at this point I suspect it doesnít.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I actually did see his video. I have to admit Iím not impressed with the trigger in single action mode. DA is good and the reset is impressive but the SA doesnít seem markedly better when compared side by side with any of my M9A3ís, although those have a considerable amount of rounds through them. When I get around to finding my gauge I may consider sending it back if it doesnít read out as advertised, which at this point I suspect it doesnít.
That's really interesting. I had one of the Wilson combat 92's and the single action was fairly light (kind of hard to distinguish, I prefer a little more wall) and that was without the action job. For a full blow competition gun I'd expect it to at least be on par or better than the Wilson or Langdon examples. My Langdon Tactical PX4 has a very nice trigger in both DA and SA (I only share that as they have a similar setup to the 92).

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2019, 10:40 AM

Handled one in the shop and it's finally a Beretta 92 that feels good in my hands and has the safety in the right place.

But my Sig 226 occupies my "big heavy double stack 9mm" slot, so no dice from me.

Love to see a range report though.

And I also find them very visually appealing
Old 11-26-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmthomp32 View Post
That's really interesting. I had one of the Wilson combat 92's and the single action was fairly light (kind of hard to distinguish, I prefer a little more wall) and that was without the action job. For a full blow competition gun I'd expect it to at least be on par or better than the Wilson or Langdon examples. My Langdon Tactical PX4 has a very nice trigger in both DA and SA (I only share that as they have a similar setup to the 92).

I would take my first impression lightly, at least until I get some rounds through it and I find my gauge. But it sure doesnít seem like the quoted 3.3 lbs.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
The 92X I got to check out at the NRA show had an amazing SA and DA trigger pull/reset. It compared very favorably (i.e. I liked it better) to the Wilson and Langdon 92s.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:13 PM

That's interesting as well. I feel like if you are going to advertise a 3 lb trigger you better come with your A game, as serious shooters and appreciators will have set high expectations. Can't wait to hear more from the OP with respect to shooting the gun and doing a more formal trigger test.

Old 11-26-2019, 12:52 PM

I like the grip angle on that one.

Hope the sights are durable enough for your use. They look like they'd be exposed.

Looking forward to hearing about how it runs for you.

Last edited by DubfromGa; 11-27-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:44 PM

Still seems strange to me that they did not figure out how to incorporate a decocker into the safety? As of now the only way to do that is by lowering the hammer after you pull the trigger. They made the 92 I Steel guns many years ago. This one is pretty much the same with some new features. And one of those features I would have liked is a safer way to decock it.
Still a very nice gun and it’s getting its rounds and threads on the Beretta forum.
COTEP#782
Old 11-26-2019, 03:48 PM

The lack of a decocker puzzles me as well but not a deal breaker for me. Itís been a long time since I handled one of the Wilsons and Iíve never gotten to test a Langdon, wish I had more experience with them so I could make a comparison.

Some more details for those interested folks that avoid YouTube(I understand that): Iíll try to get some more pics up. The pistol comes in a little faux briefcase complete with a functioning combo lock...seems pretty Italian. Inside you will find the usual manual, cable lock, 2 15 round magazines, a simple little magazine loading device like you get with a glock, a small Allen wrench for adjusting the trigger pre travel and reset, and a sight adjustment tool. I canít understand why they donít just include 17 round magazines...3 of them. Iíd rather they skimped on the briefcase thing so they could put another magazine in. But other than that the only disappointment so far would be my suspicions about the SA trigger, but Iím reserving judgement on that for now.

Old 11-26-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
The lack of a decocker puzzles me as well but not a deal breaker for me. Itís been a long time since I handled one of the Wilsons and Iíve never gotten to test a Langdon, wish I had more experience with them so I could make a comparison.

Some more details for those interested folks that avoid YouTube(I understand that): Iíll try to get some more pics up. The pistol comes in a little faux briefcase complete with a functioning combo lock...seems pretty Italian. Inside you will find the usual manual, cable lock, 2 15 round magazines, a simple little magazine loading device like you get with a glock, a small Allen wrench for adjusting the trigger pre travel and reset, and a sight adjustment tool. I canít understand why they donít just include 17 round magazines...3 of them. Iíd rather they skimped on the briefcase thing so they could put another magazine in. But other than that the only disappointment so far would be my suspicions about the SA trigger, but Iím reserving judgement on that for now.

May I ask what was your cost on that bad mamajama? It's definitely on my list of guns to buy next year. Gotta get all the new Colt .38 Supers first, but after that the 92X Performance will be next up on the buy list.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Bob View Post

Never insult another man's wife, and don't disparage his pistol either.

Tricked-out Berettas have never been my thing either, but these days I'll take anything that isn't 50% polymer. Good to see that Beretta is still catering to those folks who are tired of seeing Tactical Tupperware everywhere.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
May I ask what was your cost on that bad mamajama? It's definitely on my list of guns to buy next year. Gotta get all the new Colt .38 Supers first, but after that the 92X Performance will be next up on the buy list.
1299...Scheelís. Itís a fairly large sporting goods outfit. If you live in the Midwest youíre in luck, as they seem to have some stock. You can go to the website and check their inventory. Again, I canít believe the outrageous amounts people are paying on gunbroker for these. Itís an incoming model, not soon to be discontinued or banned, so what gives, anyone know??
Old 11-26-2019, 10:47 PM

Everything an M9 should have been but wasn’t (minus FO front didn’t and adjustable rear).

Badass pistol. Congrats!
Distinguished Pistol #388
Old 11-27-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
1299...Scheelís. Itís a fairly large sporting goods outfit. If you live in the Midwest youíre in luck, as they seem to have some stock. You can go to the website and check their inventory. Again, I canít believe the outrageous amounts people are paying on gunbroker for these. Itís an incoming model, not soon to be discontinued or banned, so what gives, anyone know??
I think that's the MSRP price. As far as paying over and beyond, some people just gotta have it NOW.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
Never insult another man's wife, and don't disparage his pistol either.

Tricked-out Berettas have never been my thing either, but these days I'll take anything that isn't 50% polymer. Good to see that Beretta is still catering to those folks who are tired of seeing Tactical Tupperware everywhere.
Lol, well, okay, but you did disparage almost half of my current pistol collection!
Old 11-27-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
I think that's the MSRP price. As far as paying over and beyond, some people just gotta have it NOW.
MSRP is actually 1399. But yeah, Scheel’s is usually right in there with other “big box” outdoor stores like Bass Pro and Cabela’s in that they almost always charge full MSRP and only drop below it during the holiday sales or manufacturer’s specials. I was pleasantly surprised that they were actually a hundred below.

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/92x-performance/

https://www.scheels.com/p/beretta-92...244291570.html

Last edited by cw410; 11-27-2019 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Another gun not well thought out.
Thumb safety, yay.
But what competition is it FOR?
USPSA or IPSC Production? Must DA start after manual decock. Like CZs and TZs but why on a new model offshoot of a decocker gun.
Limited? Minor, boo, hiss.
Open? They have a compensated version. Will it stand 9mm Major?

Too heavy for IDPA.
Old 11-27-2019, 05:31 PM

I am on the wait list at my Gun Shop for one. Canít wait

Old 11-27-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab4Us View Post
Lol, well, okay, but you did disparage almost half of my current pistol collection!
Haha, I think dskís point could be translated as ďdonít come to someoneís thread about his new pistol and talk trash about itĒ. Can you imagine the same applied to a woman? ďHey guys I just got married!Ē. First response...Ēsheís ugly!Ē.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:51 PM

Trigger pull results

Ok, I went through the considerable trouble of locating my trigger scale and here are the single stage results:

92X average for 5 readings: 3lbs. 6 ounces. Heaviest reading: 3lbs. 9 ounces.

M9A3 combined reading results, 5 readings each from two samples:

4lbs. 11 ounces.

My take is number one: thats damn close enough to the advertised weight for me as far as the 92X is concerned.

And two, I havenít been giving the M9A3 nearly enough credit even though I own two of them. They really are well sorted out pistols.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Ok, I went through the considerable trouble of locating my trigger scale and here are the single stage results:

92X average for 5 readings: 3lbs. 6 ounces. Heaviest reading: 3lbs. 9 ounces.

M9A3 combined reading results, 5 readings each from two samples:

4lbs. 11 ounces.

My take is number one: thats damn close enough to the advertised weight for me as far as the 92X is concerned.

And two, I havenít been giving the M9A3 nearly enough credit even though I own two of them. They really are well sorted out pistols.
That's a solid trigger weight for single action. Im sure some would want lighter in a competition gun but not me. Sounds like a solid improvement over the standard trigger which is already good. Thanks for following up with that.