Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-30-2019, 01:34 PM

Advice on .22 LR Bolt Action

Friends,

I'm looking for suggestions on a superb .22 LR. Here are my considerations:

1) accurate up to 75-100 yards, with most shooting at 25-50 yards
2) quiet (20" barrel or over I'm guessing)
3) threaded / capable of adding a suppressor later
4) budget up to $600

Mostly this will be for plinking but also for occasional pest elimination (raccoons, varmints, etc).

I've heard Cooper is very good but it's a bit out of my price range. Savage has some good reviews but I've read the magazines can be a bit flimsy.

Thanks!

“God grant that men of principle shall be our principal men.” –Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-30-2019, 01:51 PM

$600 isn't a very strong budget for a quality rim fire.....but this might meet your requirements. CZ 457 Pro-varmint, $588 retail and it's suppressor ready. 16.5" barrel, but that shouldn't dis qualify it.

https://cz-usa.com/product-category/rifles/rimfire/

Old 06-30-2019, 02:39 PM

Thanks - I'll give CZ another look.

What would be a more reasonable budget?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 03:26 PM

Guess it depends on ones definition of "superb rimfire".... for me it would be Anschutz, Cooper, or Winchester 52's.
Old 06-30-2019, 03:35 PM

While you are at it.

I would check out the offerings from Volquartzen also. They are not giving them away. But they are top of the line.

https://volquartsen.com/departments/22_lr_rifles
Old 06-30-2019, 03:45 PM

Highly recommend CZ. I have a 455 combo (22lr and 17hmr) and at the distance you are stating this should do just fine.
Ruger PCC, RIA M200
CZ 455 Combo, Ruger Wrangler
Old 06-30-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMM guy View Post
I would check out the offerings from Volquartzen also. They are not giving them away. But they are top of the line.

https://volquartsen.com/departments/22_lr_rifles
Wow - those are sharp! I wonder if these rifles will cycle subsonic.

Old 07-01-2019, 12:16 AM

That is a good question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_over View Post
And I do not know The answer to it. However if you query Volquartzen on this, they will no doubt give you the straight scoop. They are straight up with their customers. And they do not have anything to hide. The record of their firearms in competition speaks for itself. If I was only going to own one .22 rimfire rifle, it would definitely be one of theirs.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:06 AM

I could be wrong, but believe Volquartsen only makes semi autos, ( not that’s a bad thing). Most likely sub sonic ammo won’t run.

I have their Deluxe in 17 HMR and is a great and accurate rifle, whether a ground hog at 60 yds or a soda can at 180 yds it was worth it. My local varmints would run away when I hit them with my 22LR. It didn’t go 5 feet with the .17.

Their 22 LR choices are excellent. So if you’re open to a semi auto, VQ is worth it imho. Anschutz makes amazing 22LR bolt rifles. https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ansc...22-long-rifle/
Attached Thumbnails
79F80E8C-F257-485F-8557-FB3F95D57127.jpeg   2C3BAF8E-35C4-4D40-892F-234DA8676F05.jpeg  

Last edited by Plantar5; 07-01-2019 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:51 AM
More Cowbell...

My normal answer is a 40X repeater or Vudoo, but you said $600.

I would grab a CZ 455/457 and a fistfull of mags.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp_over View Post
They will with a suppressor. At least mine does.

EDIT:. IMHO, nothing compares to a CZ in the OP's price range. You won't find a 20" threaded barrel though. No one wants a 24" suppressed rifle.

Last edited by TRSOtto; 07-01-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:17 PM

For a year I've been happy with a Ruger American bolt action. Threaded barrel, pretty good trigger at 2.5-3 pounds. Pretty accurate out to 40 or 50 yards. Anything further out I go to .223/5.56. I'm also happy with a Ruger take down 10/22, but the factory trigger is 6.5 pounds and I'll probably put in a Timney sooner rather than later.

Be American, buy American; Ruger American.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:50 AM

jp Check out the savage linked below .

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...R+THREADED+BBL

The Mark II TRR-SR 665 retail price but real price should be around $450 dollar range locally at our LGS . Ammo that your rifle likes can be trial & error finding one that shoots they way you want it to while being easy on your wallet . Standard velocity ammo will be a better all around ammo . As high or hyper velcoity ammo goes sub sonic it will be come unstable too , at what yards age that happens at vary's but can be before 100 yards out to around 130 yards but still may not be your most accurate load .

We only shoot standard velocity ammo and our low priced first choice is Federal 711B for at or under 4 bucks a box and its good enough I keep a case plus on hand and it shoot 25 yard bug holes and a 50 yards in the 1/3 inch range or less range easily . It groups well in our 4 22lrs . Some difference between them but good enough for serious fun !!

I'm not interested in a suppressor so mine is a savage mkii BV . One thing you will learn about ALL 22lr is there only as accurate as the ammo your using It might be a 2moa rifle with one brand ammo but with a change of ammo it might be a .700moa shooter . There is no gar O tee a high end rifle will be more accurate unless you find the ammo of choice for it too . I have my stock savage trigger tuned down to 15oz to 1lb 1oz average .

For the hunter and target shooter the scope you use may not be the best for ether purpose !! I running a 30mm 6-24x52 on two of mine , receiver and globe on my old Remington while my wifes 10/22 custom is lite and short and has a 4-14 vortex on it .

Or critter getter is my first rifle a 25" rem 511p and when shooting 22CBee 33gr at at 720fps from that long barrel . It's sooo quiet I hear the firing pin strike as being louder than the putt sound coming from the barrel . Its quiet enough to drop a raccoon at 10 feet raiding a bird feeder and the other raccoon looks off the rail at the first doing a death dance while my wife racks in a second round and drops the second one . That's quieter than my airsoft pistol .
Old 07-02-2019, 11:29 AM

Anschutz is top dog like SVI is on this forum to put things into perspective without cost limit..

1710 with match 54 action. This action has more medals in comp shooting than all the other actions combined x10.. https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com..._HB_AV_SS.html

Annie 1727 with 5020 trigger: https://www.anschutznorthamerica.com...7_F_AV_HB.html

Last edited by Torf; 07-02-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 12:35 PM

I have a Savage Mk. II bolt gun, that is very accurate. It was easy on the budget too. I don't know for sure where you heard their magazines are "flimsy", for I have three of them for mine, and they work just fine.

I put a Weaver K4 on it, and have no issues picking stuff off at a hundred yards or so.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:10 PM

Cz 452
Distinguished Pistol #388
Old 07-03-2019, 11:44 AM

After a lot of research, asking a million questions and shooting many other .22 caliber rifles with a variety oif actions, I concluded that the CZ457 is the over-all best, most sensibly priced, most accurate, longest lasting & best-made bolt-action rimfire rifle available today.

Last weekend I drove to Idaho Falls ( 4 hours away ) to pick up a new 'American' model CZ rifle at the wonderful 'Gun Shp LLC' in Idaho Falls, where I had arranged by phone to purchase the rifle since none of the local shops had one available. They also installed the 3-9 power Leupold scope, Warte mounts ( all from their inventory ) and bore-sighted it.
Total investment including scope, mounts, extra magazine.....approx. $750.00

There's no question that Coopers look better, which is a subjective matter, but they also cost a Hell of a lot more and even though they're claimed to be a hair more accurate, I feel that's all theoretical hair-splitting I simply don't want to pay for in a rimfire plinking rifle. I also sniffed araund the Anschutz brand ( as well as the new Weatherby-Anschutz Mk XXII ), but again, in my view the significantly higher cost of these premium offerings is just not justifiable if you're looking for an accurate, effective, reliable, everyday 'hunting-sporting-plinking-range' rifle.

The bottom target on the attached image is the final group of 10 in the 1/2" inside ring from a sandbag rest at 50 yards at the local indoor range the first time I fired the CZ after sighting it in.

Final verdict: I couldn't be happier, don't regret my choice one bit, and shoot and enjoy my new rifle a lot ( zero issues to date )and can state without reservations that I will never get rid of it.

JZG
Attached Thumbnails
L1040062JZG2019-07-032019-07-032019-07-03.jpg  
Old 07-03-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Oberst View Post
After a lot of research, asking a million questions and shooting many other .22 caliber rifles with a variety oif actions, I concluded that the CZ457 is the over-all best, most sensibly priced, most accurate, longest lasting & best-made bolt-action rimfire rifle available today.

Last weekend I drove to Idaho Falls ( 4 hours away ) to pick up a new 'American' model CZ rifle at the wonderful 'Gun Shp LLC' in Idaho Falls, where I had arranged by phone to purchase the rifle since none of the local shops had one available. They also installed the 3-9 power Leupold scope, Warte mounts ( all from their inventory ) and bore-sighted it.
Total investment including scope, mounts, extra magazine.....approx. $750.00

There's no question that Coopers look better, which is a subjective matter, but they also cost a Hell of a lot more and even though they're claimed to be a hair more accurate, I feel that's all theoretical hair-splitting I simply don't want to pay for in a rimfire plinking rifle. I also sniffed araund the Anschutz brand ( as well as the new Weatherby-Anschutz Mk XXII ), but again, in my view the significantly higher cost of these premium offerings is just not justifiable if you're looking for an accurate, effective, reliable, everyday 'hunting-sporting-plinking-range' rifle.

The bottom target on the attached image is the final group of 10 in the 1/2" inside ring from a sandbag rest at 50 yards at the local indoor range the first time I fired the CZ after sighting it in.

Final verdict: I couldn't be happier, don't regret my choice one bit, and shoot and enjoy my new rifle a lot ( zero issues to date )and can state without reservations that I will never get rid of it.

JZG
Congratulations. You made the correct choice.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:29 PM

Howdy Friends,

I appreciate all the replies and have been taking a bit to digest it all. I made some calls today and looked at suppressors. Let me reply individually and then I'll sum up with some new thoughts and a possible decision.

GtownGeorge - thanks for the +1 on CZ. Definitely great rifles for the money.

USMM guy - I called Volquartsen today and they were very helpful; also, they offer a 10% military discount. I'm leaning towards a bolt action but if I go with a semi-auto these folks are high on the list. *Update, just found out they have a bolt action.

Plantar5 - that's a sharp looking rig and great shooting! I have strongly considered the .17 HMR but heard that it doesn't lend itself to suppressors very well (still pretty loud).

I appreciate the cheaperthandirt link - I've bought ammo from them but didn't realize they sold guns too. Good stuff!

Tom Freeman - I had to google both the 40x repeater and Vudoo - fantastic looking platforms! I appreciate the +1 on CZ.

TRSOtto - thanks for the info and CZ +1.

Rob S - good to know, thanks. I'm a big fan of buying US made when I can and have given the Ruger options a look. I handled one of the new "Precision .22" but wasn't crazy about the stock and heavy barrel. Still, it might be an option with some modifications.

I appreciate that you mentioned using a 5.56 for longer distances as this is the 2nd part of my "2 gun" plan: an accurate, reliable & quiet .22 for close work and a suppressed AR for out to 200 yards or so.

hardluk1 - Thanks for the link on the MK II. Looks like a good rifle, I'll have to check it out a bit more.

Also, thanks for the feedback about ammo choice. I'll either be shooting standard velocity or lower as I'll use a different gun platform if I need more than .22.

I like to hear about the longer barrels being quiet. I've read that CZ has a "lux" version that's close to 28" but that might make it a bit tough to shoot out of my (planned) UTV. Good info nonetheless!

Torf - good feedback on the Anschutz and thanks for the links. As I've considered a budget increase they will be high on the list.

1911-USMC Howdy Marine, thanks for the good feedback on Savage! I watched a youtube review where one guy had a magazine problem but haven't seen it as a trend. Sounds like Savage took care of it quickly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deNC_fesXJc (see 4:10 for magazine issue discussion)

JayhawkNavy02 - another CZ +1, thanks!

Herr Oberst - great choice and thanks for the detailed feedback! I think for $ spent CZ is going to be tough to beat. Excellent shooting and great looking gun!

All,

Based on calls, more reading, an increased budget and your feedback I think this model might be a good option:
https://volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/1474

Old 07-11-2019, 09:19 PM

You won’t be disappointed with any Volquartsen. The guns have excellent finishes, extremely accurate, and amazing triggers.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:18 PM

A tad late, but just to throw in my 2 cents. The Winchester 52 as remade by Browning is an excellent rifle. They're generally over $600.00, but not always. Outstanding trigger.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:03 PM

Within the price range given, I'm another advocate of the CZ452. I have had numerous Anschutz rimfires over the years, 54s and 64s, and frankly see little difference in the accuracy between them and the CZ452 with proper ammo. The Anschutz rifles are more refined, but as users it is difficult to justify the price difference.

I also have to add that many of Marlin's offerings are pretty darn good too. Definitely not as classy or refined, but I have yet to have one that doesn't shoot well. For a down and dirty UTV/truck gun, one that you really don't have to worry about getting banged up, they are a solid choice as well...and come in WELL below the stated budget. Maybe too late to help the OP, but these topics do tend to linger so perhaps someone else can benefit.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:20 PM

Plantar5 - thanks for the confirmation. I was completely unaware of the Volquartsen brand until I started looking for a new rifle. Since then, I've read and heard lots of folks echo that they're great rifles. A big plus for made in the US as well.

dsf - I agree that Browning's remake of the model 52 is a great option. I've checked around on the various auction sites and they're tough to find at a fair price. Those that are in really good / NIB type condition are comparable in price to the Volquartsen offerings.

Taxed2death - Thanks for another CZ +1. I was also interested to read your feedback about Anschutz.

I've always thought of Marlin as a budget brand but it's good to hear that they are producing some accurate products. I'll have to stop by their web page and check out their recent offerings.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:25 PM

I second the marlin xt. They come in various barrel lengths and are excellent for the money.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:30 PM

Lots of 22lr bolt rifles can shoot well , its more about finding the loads or loads it likes best in a price range your wallet can live with and stocking up on that Lot number

I daughter has a marlin XT-22 that had a stock adjustable trigger pull that was pretty good . I added a mcarbo spring and worked with adjusting on it and it will get close to 1lb and has smoothed up even more over the last couple years to. Not as good as my jard trigger but close to my stock tuned savage .

Look at the link below and If you have a good shooting 22lr bolt rifle now I'm sure yours will find some ammo you rifle likes that's in the link below that is as good or maybe better than some of the same ammo shown Or have another label that cost the same that may shoot as well or better . Note how some don't hold up well even going from 75 to 100 yards too .

.. 22lr ammo can drive you crazy .

https://www.accurateshooter.com/guns...mparison-test/