Question about Desert Eagle - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 PM

Question about Desert Eagle

I was watching my copy of "Tails of the Gun" and while looking at the episode on the gun of Israel there was a mention of the Desert Eagle. I got to wondering if anyone knew of the reason why they created it. Was it to give a anti-material gun that wasn't a rifle? Was it to give Soldiers the ability to stop cars that might have explosives in it? Just because they could? Thanks for the help!
Old 06-19-2019, 05:32 AM

The original Desert Eagle was .357 Magnum. So as a car stopper or anti-material weapon maybe not the best choice. I suspect it was more of a design challenge that took off better than anyone expected.
You may know a thing and it is not true. But in understanding that thing there can be ONLY truth. And to understand, you will need contrast. NOT adherence to a single idea. The truth is in the contrast.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:11 AM

Magnum Research (MRI) actually started in the US. For some reason, the design was changed a little and production moved to Israel. It wasn’t that “they” designed squat. Sounds like someone in the states just wanted to make a fire breathing dragon just for the fun of it. It worked! They are currently being made in MN today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 06:30 AM

The Moonie Magnum (AKA Desert Eagle) is a great Hollywood prop, a very expensive small boat anchor and a so-so firearm.

All kidding aside, they do seem to work pretty good and do look the villainous part in movies. other than weighing north of 4lbs dry and costing a few house payments I have always wanted a 50AE version. A friend of mine has one and we have shot it a lot. Its weight serves very well in making the 50AE very soft shooting. Because they could is probably the closest thing to a correct answer.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:33 AM

It's purely for fun and nothing else. It does handle quite powerful loads very easily though without the battering of the shooter like a wheel gun does.
Carry gun:Wilson Carry Comp Custom .45S Pocket carry:on loan Other 1911s:WC Supergrade Accucomp .38, WC BW Opticomp, WC CQB Compact, WC CQB Professional, WC Super Sentinel, WC CQB Elite 9mm, WC EDC X9, WC X9S, Ed Brown SR, NHC Predator II Opticomp, NHC T3 Hardchrome, Kimber Ultra, ATI Tactical, RIA Tactical 10mm, Kimber Ultra Diamond 9mm, Detonics Combat Master MKVI, Colt Centennial .460 Roland
Old 06-19-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinkar 105 View Post
I got to wondering if anyone knew of the reason why they created it.
So Bullet Tooth Tony could exist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3eqZJrwCcc
Old 06-19-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
So Bullet Tooth Tony could exist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3eqZJrwCcc
HAHA x 1,000,000!

Replica!
Old 06-19-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker2237 View Post
It's purely for fun and nothing else.
Not true at all. I cut down a fair-sized tree with a friends .50 in 4 shots.

The thing I remember most about shooting it was the pumpkin-sized ball of flame, at noon on a sunny day.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinkar 105 View Post
I got to wondering if anyone knew of the reason why they created it.
My guess would be...In the spirit of handgun calibers wars, some companies just simply want to one-up the competition, obtain the distinction of having the biggest dog in the fight and perhaps a leg up or small marketing niche advantage.

Prior to the DE, the .44 Automag held such a niche with semi autos. Probably the same reason why the S&W 500 was created, thus giving S&W the same distinction amongst wheelguns.

Sometime you’ve got to go big for just a small little niche, kinda like Arsenal Firearms with the double-barrel 1911 and Standard Manufacturing with the double-barrel 12ga.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:27 AM

I agree it was likely something of a engineering challenge to see if they could really make it or not. Then it turned out much more better than they thought and became popular in a way. Too heavy and large for everyday use, but likely good for target shooting or hunting though.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:12 PM

Vaguely apropos, but I love the deep Netflix catalog of foreign action/adventure shows. It's like seeing the late 80s through early 90s of American movies and television reflected back through a slightly different light. One of my favorites was a South African vigilante Cop series, kind of like a pre-Denzel Equalizer with a bit of Simon & Simon thrown in the mix. Anyways, the protagonist is this super-ripped guy who runs around with a Desert Eagle shooting bad guys. His cop buddy comments in the second episode that everyone always knows when he's been on the scene, because he's always leaving .50AE shell casings around, and he's the only one anyone knows who carries a Desert Eagle.

The other great thing about the show is that the protagonist is absolutely ripped to shreds, and so wide in the upper body it looks like he has to turn sideways to fit through the door. But they block the shots so well that it wasn't until the third episode or so that I realized he is about as tall as Kevin Hart. So super-stocky short dude running around South Africa with a Desert Eagle tucked into his waistband, shooting assorted neer-do-wells. Great show.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:31 PM

The other hidden requirement (that you don't know unless you own one) is that there is no wimpy ammo allowed! The thing just wont run right.
Full house, barn burners are impressive to say the least. Since I got mine, I have had a little fun at the dimly lit indoor range close to home. Fireball is an understatement. Everybody stops what they are doing and comes to take a look. Big dude's girlfriend is no longer impressed with his .380! The dood that knows me at the counter kinda laughed the first time and said to give him warning next time I drag that thing in!!
Old 06-19-2019, 05:32 PM

The Desert Eagle in .357 is interesting, but, very large (i.e., wayyy to darn big to carry) in comparison to the Coonan... (With the hotter .357 Sig loads hitting 1400-1450 fps in GLock 31/35 length barrels, the 15 round capacity seems preferable anyway..)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt Dotson View Post
The Desert Eagle in .357 is interesting, but, very large (i.e., wayyy to darn big to carry) in comparison to the Coonan...
True, but a bad comparison. Coonan is not a multi-caliber platform where as the Desert Eagle is. When a 357 Coonan can be changed out to accept 50 cal and .44 mag then you might have a point.

IMI industries was selected as a manufacturing contractor....just as John Moses Browning selected FN to manufacture many of his patents.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:54 PM

I consider myself a reasonable and sane person when it comes to all things gun related. I have very sensible guns that fall into both the "tool" and "bling" category. So why is it im drawn to this ridiculous hunk of steel at every gun show? Sorry to say that a brushed stainless DE is just frickin awesome and I want. If I win the lottery or just find a bag of cash I will one day own a SS .44 magnum.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
I agree it was likely something of a engineering challenge to see if they could really make it or not. Then it turned out much more better than they thought and became popular in a way. Too heavy and large for everyday use, but likely good for target shooting or hunting though.
I actually read a story once of a guy in Alaska who was badly mauled by a Brown Bear, but he managed to shoot it dead at point-blank range with a Desert Eagle he was carrying. That's about the only time I ever heard of one being used in a practical application. Other than that it's a popular Hollywood prop gun and not good for much else.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:21 PM

Yeah it is sort of for unconventional handgun hunters. But I have seen pictures of folks who used them on deer, hogs, a big woodchuck, and black bears though..
Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
.....That's about the only time I ever heard of one being used in a practical application. Other than that it's a popular Hollywood prop gun and not good for much else.
Sounds like someone has a preconceived bias. In the 30 plus years I've had mine, it's taken dozens of Mulies, Antelope, and Whitetails. Must have missed the part about using it for impractical purposes.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles68 View Post
I consider myself a reasonable and sane person when it comes to all things gun related. I have very sensible guns that fall into both the "tool" and "bling" category. So why is it im drawn to this ridiculous hunk of steel at every gun show? Sorry to say that a brushed stainless DE is just frickin awesome and I want. If I win the lottery or just find a bag of cash I will one day own a SS .44 magnum.
Speaking of "Bling". Not sure if its still offered, but they used to make one in Gold titanium nitride tiger stripe camo. That was a really cool look for a blinged out DE.
Old 06-20-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrandt View Post
True, but a bad comparison. Coonan is not a multi-caliber platform where as the Desert Eagle is. When a 357 Coonan can be changed out to accept 50 cal and .44 mag then you might have a point.

IMI industries was selected as a manufacturing contractor....just as John Moses Browning selected FN to manufacture many of his patents.
Not to mention that no one is sure if Coonan is going out of business. There are people that have been waiting for 6 months for parts. Others have paid the full price for a new one and are still waiting for delivery. I considered one and quickly put that idea to rest. Horrible reviews about customer service/time.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:56 PM

I recall reading several years back that it WAS largely designed to be a movie gun. Whether or not it is true, I couldn't say.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sks700 View Post
I recall reading several years back that it WAS largely designed to be a movie gun. Whether or not it is true, I couldn't say.
So they were hoping to sell 4 or 5? Seems unlikely.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:12 PM

I love mine. Its a well designed pistol. Mine has proven to be very reliable, and accuracy is there once the crappy factory sights were swapped.
Attached Thumbnails
38A5CF2A-C72C-4687-BE17-7564EF2D9F3B_1561173048288.jpeg  
Old 06-22-2019, 07:45 AM

My wife wanted one for her birthday seversl years ago. I told I'd get get her the .44 mag, she said no. Wanted the .50AE. Apparently, size does matter. About a year later we were at a LGS and came across the bronze .44mag. She asked if I'd buy it for her. I said no, was still broke from previous DE. So she broke out her credit card and bought it. What's cool/interesting about it is, the bolt resemble a bolt from an AR 15.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyemike View Post
My wife wanted one for her birthday seversl years ago. I told I'd get get her the .44 mag, she said no. Wanted the .50AE. Apparently, size does matter. About a year later we were at a LGS and came across the bronze .44mag. She asked if I'd buy it for her. I said no, was still broke from previous DE. So she broke out her credit card and bought it. What's cool/interesting about it is, the bolt resemble a bolt from an AR 15.
Your wife sounds like a keeper. You better buy her those guns when she asks!!!