1911Forum banner

Range Officer Opinions

23K views 118 replies 54 participants last post by  kvtcomdo 
#1 ·
It's been out for a while now, looking for any and all reviews and opinions. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get this over the Loaded Parkerized here in about 2 months for my 21st. Can't wait.

#108 ·
Thanks for ideas ............. very nice looking. Problem solved since I like the Kimber Grips, I found a set identical to the ones on my Kimber Custom II in the full size goverment. Less than $20 shipped.:)

#112 ·
i loved mine so much i'm trying to sell it. i want to upgrade to a lightweight champion operator or the OD green loaded champion. i haven't found any around where i am, would like to see them before i snag one. i do have time because the RO has sell first. the RO is my first 1911, got the bug!!!

#113 ·
ROs Rock

Guys:
Had mine about a week now. Put 160 rounds through it with no malfunctions. It's tight as can be (needed the bushing wrench to open her up). Slide-to-frame and barrel fit are outstanding (really impressive for a pistol at this price level). I'm very happy with it.:p Good luck and good shooting.

#114 ·
Another newish RO owner here, I dont like to post 'great gun' until I put at least 500 rounds through one. Well I'm at 550 now so I can say this is a very accurate and reliable pistol. Not one failure in 550 rounds of factory 230gr ball ammo, which amazed me since I have never had a 1911 go so many without at least one issue. All were using the two factory supplied mags as well.

Overall I like the gun, fit and finish on mine is excellent, trigger is a bit heavy but it has a clean, short break. Slide fit is great on mine, barrel bushing isnt as tight as some have mentioned. I dont need a wrench but I have been taking 1911s apart for 30 years and I've never owned a bushing wrench, never had that tight of a bushing I guess. Not a huge parkerized finish fan but its holding up well.

Stock grips look great but I didnt like them, I'm kind of old-school and have been shooting with pachmayr grips on 1911 for years and I swapped a set on, not as fancy as some of the newer ones but its what I like on a 1911. Have to be careful since pachmayr makes several different grips, I prefer the checkered front strap style with the recess for the mag release. Plus the extended safety would pinch my thumb with the stock grips.

Couple quick cell phone pics, great gun for the money IMO.

Attachments

#115 ·
now for sure I member here like for forum yourself. This still rangmaster not gun for $900 to much when half two sale 50% down under Smith Sig kimbre when again used. but members forum I to tell that not from here. Others to offer batter guns than for still rangmaster. If you not understand this why speek english for your problem anyway?

Just kidding :p , I'm new here and just bought an RO. It is my first 1911, as I posted on another thread. I really do love this gun. My only problem is talkiing myself into taking off the wood grips for a more functioning rubber grip. My wife bought the Pachmayr Gripper grips that are pictured earlier in this thread. I just about talked myself into those, or should I say: That for sure not as wood to grips but can grip on gun for better not looking rubber.:hrm:

(Man that hurts my brain trying to come up with one sentence. I can't imagine going through life like this. Maybe that is why some cultures wear those head wraps all the time and hate us...because their brains always hurt from trying to speak English...)

#116 · (Edited)
I've owned a lot of production 1911's over the years, the RO is easily the best of the bunch.

Well fitted overall except for the hammer strut in my case. It was quite crooked...swapped it out for an Ed Brown. The factory strut looked hideous upon removal. Warped and looked like someone went wild with a dremel tool on it. However I should note, it functioned flawlessly even while the factory strut was still in the gun....didn't notice the defect until after I shot it. Hammer strut is crooked too on my friends RO by the way. Someone at SA seems to suck at fitting hammer struts. Had the same issue with a NM Mil Spec a couple years ago too. Not a deal breaker for me...it's an easy fix.

Did not find the bushing to be as tight as some have said, I didn't need a wrench anyway....nor did my friend who got one too...just saying. Maybe some are tighter than others, or maybe some owners have girly strength fingers...j/k ;)

You'll be hard pressed to do better on a production level when you weigh out the overall value of what you're getting at base with the RO. I love mine and will never part with it.

It's great as is out of the box. Or it makes a great base for a competition or carry gun depending upon how you want to evolve it.

#117 ·
bartwatkins, lunchboxjonez, thanks for the feedback. Talked to the folks at Wilson Combat today. they seemed non-plussed and told me to either file the 'ears', of their Speed Chute, or mod the gun to make it fit. (?). I'm going to work on it tonight, if I can't get 'er to go, I'll give you a shout.

Cheers.

#119 ·
R.o.

Well I purchased one of my own.

Have been enamored with the R.O. concept since I heard of its existence.

Hard to find but the LGS where I frequent happened to have a new one in at my last visit so I snatched it up.

I am impressed with the gun and its features for the money.

Very happy with the purchase and look forward to a range visit this weekend.

Thanks for listening.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.