1911Forum banner

New Monolith a few questions

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Larryv13 
#1 · (Edited)
Does Baer still recommend the first 500 rounds without cleaning? I didn't see any mention in the disassembly manual that came with the gun.

Also, question on the blued finish. I never noticed it in the store when buying it, but now have noticed that the frame along the sides (flats on long dust cover) the bluing has a cloudy appearance beneath it, as if the steel wasn't quite dry before bluing. Is this a normal "thing" with Baer? It is clearly beneath the bluing and just curious.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats on the new Baer, Mono is a fun model to shoot! 9 or 45?

Those finish blemishes are not normal, but I did have one before with smaller but similar blemish. Sold it before I could ask LB to refinish it :).

As far as cleaning, not doing that for X number of rounds helps polish the internals. I go as long as it takes to get the slide/frame/barrel/bushing fit to feel perfect for me, then I clean it. Every Les Baer is a bit different due to hand fitting so you have to account for that. Plus some want a tighter gun than others.

#5 ·
Those are considered flaws in a blued finish. However, if you're extremely happy with the function of the gun, why bother? A blued finish is pretty susceptible to handling scratches and dings just from normal use.

I consider a blued 1911 to be like a new pair of sneakers. They look clean and white but they don't look quite right. When you break em in and get some wear on them, they look super fly.

#6 ·
Congrats on the new Monolith. They are really iconic pistols.

Here is what came with my UTC last month.

I followed it and did the first good cleaning last week after the first 500rds, all 230gr factory hardball. Flawless.

And as far as the bluing goes.....it’s a finish that wears quickly with holster use like mine will see. A Mono, maybe not so much wear.

Sweet gun.

Attachments

#7 ·
I had a similar issue with the blueing on my new Monolith as well. There was an area in the slide flat that was cloudy. It appeared to be under or in the blueing. I called Baer and spoke directly with Les. He said it was likely blueing salts that had surfaced. He advised me to apply Breakfree CLP to the areas for 24 hours, then wipe down the area well. I thought to myself, “This ain’t gonna work!” To my surprise, the cloudiness rubbed out with a microfiber cloth and I was honestly shocked that it worked. Give it a try, it just might be your issue too.

#8 ·
Just to follow-up and to give credit to Les Baer Custom, I just received the Monolith back from Les Baer. Door to door in two weeks, they refinished the pistol. Although the issue was cosmetic, given the price and that it's my first semi-custom or purchase North of Dan Wesson, I wanted it to be right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.