Thoughts on the Sig p365 xl - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 07-01-2019, 04:52 AM

Thoughts on the Sig p365 xl

I have not seen one yet. Some online reviews look good. I have shot the p365 and my only issue was the grip with 10 round mag left my little finger unsupported.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:47 PM

Why? The XL version to me seems to defeat the purpose of the P365. Get the 12 round mags and your problem will be cured.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:31 PM

The XL is (about half way) between the P365 and the P320. It is, however about five
ounces heavier than the P365 (right about the weight of the P320). The XL come with 12
round mags and has 15 rounds optional.

If you have none of them, then you need to decide which will best fulfill your needs.
Small, easier to conceal. less weight = P365. If the size/weight is not an issue then the
P320 has been out for a while and all accessories are available. My guess is that the
P365-XL will have a slightly better trigger than the P320 (which is not bad as it is).

Bottom line: which will do YOU best?
. . . . it doesn't matter what the answer is.
~ Obscurity is the refuge of incompetence.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 10:51 PM

Honestly the smallest gun I have for conceal carry is my Glock 19 and thats because the smaller and lighter you go, the harder it is to shoot. That's not counting the amount of stress and adrenaline I would have if I ever had to use it in a defensive situation so I choose to carry something that I would actually shoot and train with often enough. Most of the time it's the truck gun that gets left in there when I'm at work, otherwise I carry my CCO. That being said, I have been eyeballing the Glock 48 and now the P365 XL as they are similar size. I'll wait until I can test the XL at the range first and make my decision from there. I can also see them making a version where the 15 round fits flush as well.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:13 PM

I handled one yesterday. I don't like the 365 but 365XL felt like a different animal. Extra length does make for a different feel and purchase on a gun. My biggest gripe with the 365, besides spotty track record, is a short front to back frame dimension, and that hasn't changed but I seemed to mind it less. I thought it was a very good and very concealable 12+1 package and almost bought it. Considering my known attitude to SIG, see signature line, it should come as a compliment. I didn't buy it because my Glocks still offer me certain things that I value over extra capacity of 365/365XL but I totally see the attraction.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:43 AM

I have heard its also a tad wider than the P365. I have a P320 sub-compact and its very close in size but slightly bigger and wider than the P365. I am anxious to compare it to the P365XL.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:01 AM

Yes, it did not realize that Sig had scaled up the entire pistol. More choices is never a bad thing. Since I have the P365 and the P320 X-Compact, I'll stay pat.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
I have heard its also a tad wider than the P365. I have a P320 sub-compact and its very close in size but slightly bigger and wider than the P365. I am anxious to compare it to the P365XL.
If it is, I didn't notice. The 365xl mag seemed to fit the 365, so the internal magwell dimensions are the same. I thought that externally it was the same too, except for the length.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:44 AM

I decided to try the P365 only because I really like Sig and have not bought a new gun in a while. I was so pleasantly surprised by how easily it was to shoot. 200 round break in sessions were easily. Accuracy was not a problem. I usually carry a larger gun but the P365 shoots like a larger gun and I find myself carrying it more often than I would have imagined. I do prefer the 12 round mag.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:01 PM

From some of the reviews I have seen it appears that the grip is longer and wider on the P365XL which facilitates a better purchase on the gun.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:49 PM
Administrator

The two pistols are the same width, and the P365 will take P365XL mags in the same way that a Glock 26 takes G19/17 mags, although you're not gaining anything. In fact you can even swap top ends if you want a pistol with a short slide and long grip and vice versa. Personally I have no use for a P365XL, but it seems super-slim moderate-capacity 9mms are all the rage currently with the Glock 43/48 being the closest competitors. More tools for the toolbox, I guess.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-21-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhair View Post
From some of the reviews I have seen it appears that the grip is longer and wider on the P365XL which facilitates a better purchase on the gun.
That's a big deal for me since I just can't get accustomed to pistols with very short grips.

I think there's one of these in my future.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
The two pistols are the same width, and the P365 will take P365XL mags in the same way that a Glock 26 takes G19/17 mags, although you're not gaining anything. In fact you can even swap top ends if you want a pistol with a short slide and long grip and vice versa. Personally I have no use for a P365XL, but it seems super-slim moderate-capacity 9mms are all the rage currently with the Glock 43/48 being the closest competitors. More tools for the toolbox, I guess.
According to Sig's website, the XL is 0.10" wider, which I believe is in the exterior grip width. I agree that the mags are interchangeable.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:06 AM

Hemi Prius

I think I'll buy a Toyota Prius and put a Hemi in it. That would make more sense than a SIG P365XL.

Now an "original flavor" P365 with 10+1 in the gun and 12X2 on the off-hand side? That makes sense.*

Learn to shoot small guns well with your pinky-finger curled under the magazine. Consider it a life skill like driving a manual transmission or cooking for yourself.

It counts against your "man-card" if you can't.

*I know of what I speak. This is my EDC. All day, every day in a high-ride OWB holster and mag pouch. There are no other guns in my rotation. I don't have warm-weather and cold-weather guns. I don't alternate or rotate. It's the same set-up all the time every time. I draw a gun as fast and smooth and surprisingly as a baby vomits.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDoc65 View Post
1. I think I'll buy a Toyota Prius and put a Hemi in it. That would make more sense than a SIG P365XL.

2. Now an "original flavor" P365 with 10+1 in the gun and 12X2 on the off-hand side? That makes sense.*

3. Learn to shoot small guns well with your pinky-finger curled under the magazine. Consider it a life skill like driving a manual transmission or cooking for yourself.

4. It counts against your "man-card" if you can't.

*I know of what I speak. This is my EDC. All day, every day in a high-ride OWB holster and mag pouch. There are no other guns in my rotation. I don't have warm-weather and cold-weather guns. I don't alternate or rotate. It's the same set-up all the time every time.

5. I draw a gun as fast and smooth and surprisingly as a baby vomits.
1. To you.
2. Agree; I prefer 12+1 in the gun for both fit and capacity, but can deal with the 10 flush and 10 pinky. My backup mag is the 15 in a pocket or mag holster, becuz moar boolets.
3. Agree.
4. Agree.
5. We need to make a video of a baby vomiting so we can check the speed; Perhaps multiple babies so we can use statistical analysis. Then a video of you drawing your P365. You can use the best speed of multiple tries, and we can use the slowest baby, since this parameter has not been precisely stipulated.

IMO the P365 is the best all-around carry gun out there, for the most number of people. Bearing in mind that most shooters are not shooting for a living, whether in LE or shooting sports. Most people I see at the range will never transition from marksmanship-style target shooting to combat shooting practice. And no gun is the perfect one for everyone; depends on hands, preferences and POU.

Last edited by TominMO; 07-28-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:39 PM

I would also like to handle a SIG 365XL.
I have the 365 and it is the most accurate small gun that I have shot, most I have trouble hanging on to.
I also have a Glock 48 that works very well after a little work.
These pistols are a size that just work for me and I can handle well.
More choices for the people!
Old 07-28-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
I have the 365 and it is the most accurate small gun that I have shot, most I have trouble hanging on to.
I am using a 12-round mag, and added a Hogue grip sleeve for a little extra thickness. Pretty decent grip now.

Agree that it is very accurate.

Last edited by TominMO; 07-28-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:43 AM

Upon further research...

OK, seems I made an assumption that isn't true after all.

My original thought was; why would you seek out the smallest, double-stack, full-capacity, 9mm, semi-auto and then make it bigger. There are other bigger guns out there already that fill that niche, namely the SIG P320 and the Glock G26. That was my mistake, assuming that the P365XL was as big as the 320 and 26. Turns out the P365XL lands in the sweet spot between these sizes. So it does make sense if your hands are bigger than mine. (I thought I had really big hands.)

I stand by my assertion that we should all learn to shoot well with an unsupported pinky. I also think we need to learn to shoot well without grip-thickening devices, particularly those made of rubber that grab cover garments and print more. I also still believe that "rotating" our carry guns introduces an unnecessary variable that could trip us up at the worst moment of our lives.

I am reevaluating the puking baby analogy. My point was that when a baby pukes it makes no muss, no fuss, no flailing of arms, no shouts or extraneous noises, no indication whatsoever of what is about to happen; just whoops there it is. We should draw our weapons in that manner when our lives are threatened.

Does that make sense?
Old 07-29-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDoc65 View Post
OK, seems I made an assumption that isn't true after all.

My original thought was; why would you seek out the smallest, double-stack, full-capacity, 9mm, semi-auto and then make it bigger. There are other bigger guns out there already that fill that niche, namely the SIG P320 and the Glock G26. That was my mistake, assuming that the P365XL was as big as the 320 and 26. Turns out the P365XL lands in the sweet spot between these sizes. So it does make sense if your hands are bigger than mine. (I thought I had really big hands.)

1. I stand by my assertion that we should all learn to shoot well with an unsupported pinky.
2. I also think we need to learn to shoot well without grip-thickening devices, particularly those made of rubber that grab cover garments and print more.
3. I also still believe that "rotating" our carry guns introduces an unnecessary variable that could trip us up at the worst moment of our lives.

I am reevaluating the puking baby analogy. My point was that when a baby pukes it makes no muss, no fuss, no flailing of arms, no shouts or extraneous noises, no indication whatsoever of what is about to happen; just whoops there it is. We should draw our weapons in that manner when our lives are threatened.

Does that make sense?
Agreed on all three points above. Personally I feel a person should be mentally flexible enough that they can pick up any gun and shoot it well, or anyway pretty well, whether it fits your hand or not. That does not mean you can't enhance your carry gun as you see fit. Nor is rotating your carry gun all that bad an idea; just practice your manual of arms a lot when you rotate, for example when going from heavier-clothing season to summer wear.

I am not finding that my 365 is printing any more with the rubber grip sleeve. On me the gun is darn near invisible; it would take a sharp and educated eye to know I was carrying.

Babies are totally in the Zen moment, puking when it comes naturally, without warning. Sadly we lose that trait as we "mature".
Old 07-29-2019, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Well apparently the P365XL is selling like hotcakes, so I guess not everyone agrees that it makes little sense.
Avoid the temptation to replace everything on your brand-new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot at least 500 rounds through it first, then decide what you don't like and want to improve. Regarding vintage 1911s, pre-1970 pistols are highly collectible in original, unaltered condition and should NEVER be refinished or modified as it completely ruins their monetary value.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:35 PM

For thoughts I was wondering if SIG could use the same sub-frame and shorten the plastic frame/barrel/slide and maybe use a new, shorter 8 round mag. One could still use the 10 and 12 round mags in the now even smaller pistol of couse. Granted my little finger would now for sure have no place to go but it would make for an interesting, small 9mm pistol.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:00 AM

We just got a P365XL in and I immediately compared it to a G48 we have, as It seems to me to be the only thing else out there of similar size. The P365 is considerably smaller than the G48, yet it is a lot larger than the P365. It is a very nice size and the grip feels much improved to me over the standard P365.

In an earlier post myself and others mentioned how sig specs had the width larger than the standard model. I don't think it really is, but the reference I think includes the little flare at the base of the grip. That is the widest point and wider than the standard P365.

two features of interested, both I could care less about. The slide is cut for an optic, which any current optic will look huge on this tiny pistol. the other is the little beavertail. I guess if you have big meaty paws it will be helpful.
Attached Images

Last edited by M-Peltier; 07-31-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:09 PM
Administrator

So the P365XL is still smaller than a Glock 48 yet holds two more rounds. No wonder so many Glock trolls are out there working overtime to bash SIGs.
Old 08-01-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWARREN123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk View Post
So the P365XL is still smaller than a Glock 48 yet holds two more rounds. No wonder so many Glock trolls are out there working overtime to bash SIGs.
I suspect you're right. I really like the size of the P365XL. I had held off on a P365 only cause I thought it a little too small. Exceptional carry size, but I tend to shoot my carry guns....a lot. The standard P365 had me thinking I wouldn't shoot it enough due to the size.

Here is a couple more compared to a G48.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Peltier View Post
I suspect you're right. I really like the size of the P365XL. I had held off on a P365 only cause I thought it a little too small. Exceptional carry size, but I tend to shoot my carry guns....a lot. The standard P365 had me thinking I wouldn't shoot it enough due to the size
Got the P365 a couple of weeks ago, with the 10-rd flush and 10-rd pinky mags.

I loved the gun at the range, very accurate and zero issues. But I felt the grip would suit me better if it were a little larger, so I got a $11 Hogue grip sleeve for it. Definitely helped.

Also noticed that about 1/4 of my pinky finger hung off the bottom, using the 10-rd pinky mag. I bought a 15-rd mag for pocket duty, which is about 5/8" longer than needed for my pinky. I have a 12-rd mag on order, which I am sure will be the sweet spot.

Last edited by TominMO; 08-01-2019 at 07:47 AM.