Demise of PXT Extractor.... - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 03-07-2015, 03:47 PM

Demise of PXT Extractor....

First time I ever took out and cleaned PXT extractor from my 9mm P12 Hawg. Although I have had never any problems with this, I just received the newer EGW large replacement ( no, did not change it). Although I am a retired Mechanical Engineer I am not an expert in this. This is just my observation! In a way, the PXT works similar to the external extractor but designed to work inside. Uses a spring to power it just like an X design. I can't understand why it did not work as well as an external one like the Sigs and S & W 1911. I know they tweaked and redesigned but was still prone to failures. If I could I would stay within design as I really don't care for regular extractor that also needs to be tweaked now and then as they lose tension eventually. Spring tends to hold their tension much much longer than any metal bent to keep pressure! Anyway, hope I get comments and flaks are also fine! I'm retired and got all the time in the world,lol!
p.s. I think this was brilliant design someone should have picked up on!

Last edited by alejandrino; 03-07-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:40 PM

First, let me congratulate you for getting your PXT out AND back in (IMO a real PIA) successfully. A number of possible reasons why pretty much all of the external and non-traditional pivoting extractors have not worked out. In fact the only alternative system that has really worked to date with any real world success was the external spring loaded extractor that Star used on the big Model B and Super B pistols which had a reputation of working under battlefield conditions. Nobody else seems to get the position and dynamics of the movement of the extractor hook right. S&W recently shoehorned in the extractor out of the big 4506 3rd Generation auto on their better models and some guys are saying that these are actually working.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:09 PM

Thanks, Pax! I remember reading an article about problems with removing the extractor in this forum. For some reason mine came out easily enough. Boy, was it dirty ! Yeah, I tend to side with external extractor as I have both The Smith 3" Pro and Sig Ultra which I trust to edc. Never a hiccup! I also have the Star PD I just recently had cerakoted I also edc in rotation. Anyway, to be on the are side I stock the newer EGW for my 3 Paras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2015, 07:54 PM

From what I read (didn't experience myself) the big problem with the PXT was breakage, not so much spring exhaustion. Would be interesting to see the graphics on what percentage of PXT's actually failed. Anyone have an idea?
Bob
Old 03-07-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBobbo View Post
From what I read (didn't experience myself) the big problem with the PXT was breakage, not so much spring exhaustion. Would be interesting to see the graphics on what percentage of PXT's actually failed. Anyone have an idea?
Bob
Yes. I would also like to know which part or parts was troublesome! I know this discussion is really moot but maybe some one can shed more light? Tomasie or anyone with Para?
Old 03-07-2015, 11:20 PM

I have had the PXT extractor in and out of my LTC several times with no problems, and so far no problems with extraction when shooting. After reading on this forum that Para was replacing them, I called last week and the Para customer service rep said that the spring set-up was the problem they were having.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:51 PM

My LTC w/PXT extractor failed when the tip broke off, as in no hook to grab anything left. No spring issue that I could see. Probably put about 1500 rounds through it before it broke.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:43 PM

I just took out and cleaned the PXT extractors on mine also and both looked good and dirty ! Cleaned and oiled them and replaced. Guess I'll keep shooting them till they breaK you know, when you think something would break, they never do ! Lol, I wish ! Anyway got new replacements ready! As an afterthought, can I still by them?
Old 03-15-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alejandrino View Post
As an afterthought, can I still by them?
Well, according to this ya can. Haven't tried it myself:
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...=PARA-ORDNANCE

Good luck.
Bob
Old 03-15-2015, 08:05 PM

EGW is selling them now too.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxson View Post
...pretty much all of the external and non-traditional pivoting extractors have not worked out.
Gotta take issue with that. Based on two SIG 1911s and 4 Smiths I've had no issues with external extractors.
Old 03-17-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotsFired View Post
Gotta take issue with that. Based on two SIG 1911s and 4 Smiths I've had no issues with external extractors.
When they work, they work, but every company using them has had ongoing troubles with them and appear to still be having them. The Sig extractor has gone thru 2 changes as I understand and some folks are still having troubles and going with the EGW aftermarket one. The original S&W extractor was basically a 3rd. Gen. 4006 extractor and the E-series and PC guns are now using an extractor that is basically from the 4506 as I understand. Kimber dumped theirs as did Para (which wasn't external but was pivoting). None of the custom makers to my knowledge (except Pistol Dynamics) use or endorse them for their guns. If you guns are working 100%, good for you.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoBobbo View Post
Well, according to this ya can. Haven't tried it myself:
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...=PARA-ORDNANCE

Good luck.
Bob
No, this is the new WGW solid extractor. I want the original spring loaded PXT. I already have the EGW for replacement from Para in case the PXT fails, but so far so good! I have owned two Sig a Ultras and currently have the
S&W Pro series in 3", my 2nd, and never had any kind of failures. I also have the older Kimber TRP with the external extractor( So far over 500 reds.) and still shoots great! I am a fan of the external ex. to be sure!
Old 03-20-2015, 11:04 PM

I bought my Para PXT 7.45 used in 2010, I think it's a 2007 manufacture. I don't know how many rounds I've put through it since then but I know it's well over 1000. I have never had an issue with the extractor. I did read a lot about failures though when I first purchased the gun. If I remember correctly Para had some manufacturing issues for a time and many of the extractors had a void in the metal just behind the hook causing a weak spot. I'm pretty sure they were able to fix the problem once it was identified but it never hurts to keep a spare just in case.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:56 PM

alejandrino:

Just IMHO (I have three PXT guns), if you keep 'em clean and lubricated, and got lucky, you'll find the PXT just fine....

"Got lucky": Para sometimes did serious inspections of the PXTs, and sometimes didn't. The overall design pretty well demands full inspection.... I had one self-destruct (the hook broke off), but I'm almost certain that it was an over-the-top reload that was mostly responsible. Para (George Wedge) sent me a replacement, and it's still in the gun. That was something like 2005 or 2006. The other two just keep on working.

I've got at least one spare here someplace, too, just in case, but I'm not sure where I put it.

Kimber, AFAIK (I have one of their earlier guns with an internal extractor), went through two or three iterations of the hook before it started to get reliable, but by then the bad publicity and general field reaction was that they went back to internals. A buddy of mine bought one with the external extractor at about the same time as I bought mine, and while it had several other problems (went back four times!), the external extractor has always worked just fine for him.

Given that the EGW option now exists, I wouldn't let the PXT stop me from buying another if the situation arose. (I was a very wealthy man until my wife found out about it. )

Regards,

Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?

Why do those who claim to want to protect me feel that to do it they need to disarm me?

יזכר לא עד פעם
Old 03-21-2015, 10:29 AM

Thanks for all replies! Yes, I intend to keep using the PXT for as long as possible. Looking at it, it is about the same principle design as other external extractor except that it is hidden inside. Still pivots like others to work and a spring to power it ! Designwise it should have work as well as any. I see it as just one more detail to work out !Anyway, too late. Really sad to see Para go. I do see other guys say good riddance!