Sear Spring Para P-13, longer or NOT! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Sear Spring Para P-13, longer or NOT!

I have a Canadian Made (1996) Stainless P-13 that I want to replace the sear spring on.

I have read (different places) that the 'Para' should be outfitted with a sear spring (previously available from Para) that is "just a bit longer" than a standard Colt 1911.

However, I can find no supporting evidence of this, just internet jargon (some even from gunsmiths) expressing this idea. It doesn't make sense. Why would Para make a proprietary S/S that varies only a fraction of an inch?

So....YES or NO?

The Wolff gun spring site says the P-13 takes a regular length Colt 1911 Sear Spring.

Does anyone have a definitive answer?

As far as I know (the older double stacks, P10, P12, P13 & P14) shared a lot of parts with the Colt 1911. The 10 & 12 did have a different sear spring, but the 13 and 14 did not (that I know of). Don't know about the P-16
Old 11-19-2014, 03:34 AM

I dont have an answer for ya, but you might go try in the gunsmithing section of the forum. lots of knowledge there.....
Old 11-19-2014, 05:30 AM

Some Para guns have a spring where the middle leaf of the spring is extended. You will know if yours has one because the middle leaf will be bent and have a flat at the end.

You could post a pic of your existing spring and we will know for sure.
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2014, 09:05 PM

My P16.40 was made in Canada probably in the late 90's. I bought a C&S hammer and sear kit for the gun. It came with a sear spring and it was too short. Had to reuse the old spring. Yes, it is longer than a standard 1911 spring. Don't know where to get another one.