New Para owner, need info please! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 08:15 PM

New Para owner, need info please!

Hi guys, just put this in jail. Para PX189SR 9mm High Cap. I really don't know much about it. I was looking for a doublestack to shoot uspsa and steel with and ran across this. I got it used at a LGS and it only comes with 1 mag. Not sure if that safety is factory as well, looks a different shade of the SS.

Since I don't know much about these 1911's, I was hoping if you guys could fill me in. Did I do good? Also, where can I find new mags?

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-19-2013, 12:30 AM

Really guys? No one?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 AM

Double stack mags are suuuuper hard to find right now. Everyone is snapping them up. Instead of buying the factory para mags, I would look for the Mec Gar counterparts. Some of the best magazines I have ever bought. Good luck on finding them. I check my normal places to see if anyone had the goods but looks bad right now.

You might check out Dawson Precision and see if they have anything in stock though!

Slick pistol. A guy I used to shoot IDPA with had one and his ran and ran.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 02:06 AM

Soulbyte:

Welcome to the Para owner's family ....

You have to understand that not everybody sees every message immediately, and not everybody who sees your message is going to have a meaningful answer....

I had poor luck with MecGar's, but the fix turned out to be swapping in OEM magazine followers. Otherwise, they seem quite solid.

Anybody's guess on that thumb safety. But if it works....

Para guns made between about 2008 and 2010 may need some TLC to get 'em running right - Para moved to the US right after the post-Katrina/post-Obama gun buying rush, and really didn't get their act together for a while. Not a problem today, though.

The basic chassis is essentially the same as the P1445, which is the flagship of the double-stack Paras. The 9mm version should be rock solid.

Enjoy!

Why write a quick note when you can write a novel?

Why do those who claim to want to protect me feel that to do it they need to disarm me?

יזכר לא עד פעם
Old 02-19-2013, 01:36 PM

Thanks for the responses guys! I can't find mags anywhere! I called Para direct and talked to Tim. He said a new design is being worked on and he doesn't expect mags to be available till april or may. Just my luck, looks like I'll be doing a lot of cleaning with the Para before I'll ever be able to fire it.

Looks like I'll be stuck shooting single stack for a bit.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:56 PM

Try this

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/paorp1838201.html
Old 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM

Thanks!