Waiting impatiently! - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-01-2011, 06:50 PM

Waiting impatiently!

I have been without a 1911 for about 6 months now... had a Kimber Team match and ended up trading it for a beautiful Browning hi-power and an EAA witness. Just wasn't happy with the Kimber. Don't get me wrong, it was more accurate than I was capable of....I just didn't like the front cocking serrations and the huge "kimber" billboard on the side. Besides, I really wanted a commander sized 1911 anyway.

So, it the meantime I've been patiently waiting, thinking I would have to save for an Ed Brown to get what I wanted. And I still might do that later on...
Been doing a lot of reading and lurking here and realized something. These are my wants....
1. true commander size
2. bobtail
3.lightweight
4. no front cocking serrations
5. clean slide (no billboard)
6. Very good quality for the money spent.

What's the answer? Dan Wesson Guardian .45. Less than what I would pay for a Brown or a Fusion build. Owners seem very happy with their Wesson's....almost a cult! (meant in a good way). So, I broke down and ordered one from my LGS. He says I should have it tomorrow or thursday.....now I'm waiting in anticipation!!

Anyway, no real point here. Just wanted to say hello and let you know I should own my first DW in a day or so. Anything I should know? Does it run better with certain mags? I only have one 1911 mag right now, a wilson 47d. I'm hoping that will run well along with the 2 mags that it comes with. Any recommendations on break-in? I plan on shooting at least 150-200 rounds through it the first day out. Any quirks I should know about?

Oh, and yes.....I know, it doesn't REALLY happen without pics. So, I will be posting pics of my new baby. I just hope she runs well right out of the box!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:33 PM

First off ... Congratulations and welcome to the cult.

I have had great luck with the Wilson mags so you should be good to go there. Before you break her in, field strip, clean and lube with a quality gun oil (not grease) and have at it!

I think you are going to enjoy your purchase!

Mike

... addicted to pulling the trigger!

COTEP Member No. 0265
Old 11-01-2011, 08:23 PM

Looks like a good gun...

Question : Are these the new DW guns coming out?

Last edited by MrHuff; 11-01-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 07:58 AM

Thank you MPrimo for your welcome and advice.

Got my Guardian last night. WOW I am impressed with the fit and finish of this gun. I really wish I could get to the range today, but I can't....will have to wait till sunday for that. Had a friend come over last night night to check it out. He has owned 2 wilson's in the past and was impressed with the fit and finish of this gun. (that made me feel better about my purchase already)
Looking forward to shooting this thing!!

And now for the pic...

Attached Thumbnails
guardian2.jpg  
Old 11-03-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluver View Post

Got my Guardian last night. WOW I am impressed with the fit and finish of this gun. I really wish I could get to the range today, but I can't....will have to wait till sunday for that. Had a friend come over last night night to check it out. He has owned 2 wilson's in the past and was impressed with the fit and finish of this gun. (that made me feel better about my purchase already)
If you have the same experience as I, it only gets better. Congrats on a fine handgun.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:56 PM

I'm in the same boat my friend. My first DW (also a Guardian in .45) will be here Saturday. Anxious to get my hands on her.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:

And now for the pic...

How do these forged aluminum frames hold up after shooting allot for awhile? I know they do good for CC and are light... But I Had a friend in the military tell me they don't last near as long as stainless and his frame gave him issues on his DW..true? And is forged stainless steel any diff? BTW... this is a SICK lookin gun man, I'm looking at this or the Valor myself!, Just curious about the durrability/reliability of this frame is all. Congrats!

Last edited by MrHuff; 11-03-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:

And now for the pic...

Welcome and Congrats on your Guardian..

Clyde
Old 11-03-2011, 05:45 PM

That looks really sharp, nice choice!
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHuff View Post
Looks like a good gun...

Question : Are these the new DW guns coming out?
Yup. I've heard January maybe.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:50 PM

gunluver,
That is a fine looking Guardian.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreB View Post
Yup. I've heard January maybe.
May...be. Could be a bit later than that.

FWIW, between the 9mm and 45acp variants, only a combined total of 150 ECO's being built. As of this afternoon, I believe all 150 have already been pre-sold to dealers.

And...it's called the ECO as it's DW's first "green" gun. Note the little electric plug-in on it's starboard side...

Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Severns View Post
May...be. Could be a bit later than that.

FWIW, between the 9mm and 45acp variants, only a combined total of 150 ECO's being built. As of this afternoon, I believe all 150 have already been pre-sold to dealers.

And...it's called the ECO as it's DW's first "green" gun. Note the little electric plug-in on it's starboard side...

1st "green" gun? plug in?
Old 11-05-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHuff View Post
How do these forged aluminum frames hold up after shooting allot for awhile? I know they do good for CC and are light... But I Had a friend in the military tell me they don't last near as long as stainless and his frame gave him issues on his DW..true? And is forged stainless steel any diff? BTW... this is a SICK lookin gun man, I'm looking at this or the Valor myself!, Just curious about the durrability/reliability of this frame is all. Congrats!
No alloy framed handgun, particularly 1911 patterned guns, are going to hold up as long or to as much shooting as a steel frame. According to my engineering-physicist friend (who works in the military/industrial complex) stainless will not have quite the duribility of carbon gun steels but even stainless will out last aluminum alloy by quite a bit.

Dave
Old 11-05-2011, 10:01 PM

My friend I have to be honest, if you just kept everything the same and went with a forged frame!! one word, and its V-BOB!! I bought a Valor about 4 moths ago, I liked it so well, I had everything I could think of that any full custom I would want would have! Now when I get it back it will probably not be any more accurate or reliable, see it shot 1.5" groups at 25 yards out of the box, and with 7 different weight's and styles of HP, two types of ball, and my 200 grain SWC, it has not had one failure from the start, and now it has around 600 to 700 rounds thru it. What it will have is the most snag free and comfortable Tactical dehorn and thinned slide stop and thumb safety, with the most durable finish I could find. It will be strictly for carry, from the time I get up till I turn in. I only did this after I realized how fine a pistol this was once I got it!! If you go with the V-BOB you gain one round and give up nothing!! Just my .02

Les Baer P II 1.5" Tac. .45
Para Carry LDA .45
D.W. Valor V-BOB .45
Old 11-06-2011, 03:15 PM

WOW, I'm very impressed!

Was able to get to the range today with my new guardian and finally shoot it. Brought my 2 buddies along and between the 3 of us we put 300 rounds through it. 4 different types of ammo. We used the 2 mags that came with it and a wilson 47d. Only had one failure, and we were able to attribute that to the mag......it wasn't seated properly (so operator error).

Shot about 1 inch higher than POA for me at 10 yds, but kept drilling the same hole over and over. The most accurate semiauto I have ever owned. Needless to say, I am very pleased with this purchase.