New Super Sentinel Range Report - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 12-04-2019, 01:42 PM

New Super Sentinel Range Report

Picked up my Super Sentinel Monday, 2 Dec 19 (kitted 9 Aug 19). Pretty standard except for gold bead front sight and all parts black. Also moved slide engraving to dust shield and changed font from block to script.

Got it to the range today.

Fired 150 rounds Sig Sauer Elite Performance 125g FMJ, targets 1 (3 yards) , 2 (7 yards), and 3 (3 yards). Target 3 also had 20 rounds of Sig Sauer V-Crown 125g JHP fired into the head at 3 yards.

Finished up with 20 rounds of Underwood 124g +P JHP into the chest and 20 rounds of Underwood 90g +P Extreme Defender into the head, both at 7 yards.

So 210 rounds downrange of mixed types.

There were zero malfunctions. I did NOT field strip/clean prior IAW break in instructions. Applied Wilson Lite Oil prior to any rounds being fired and after every fifty rounds I fired (with exception of last 10 - just finished the 20 round box). I did inadvertently engage the slide stop twice, once in first 50 and once in last 50 rounds of FMJ, stopping process before magazine empty. Been shooting a lot of Sig P365, so Iím sure just an issue of not consistently watching grip like I do with the P365.

On target 1, I fired one eye aiming into rings 1 and 2. All following rounds were 2 eyes open on all targets. Targets 3 and 4 were all double tap (from rest position start) with second round as soon as back on target (or when target repositioned itself if it moved on first shot).

Sights seem to be a bit left (even included target was a bit left of center). Nothing I canít live with, gun very capable of performing job it was built for. It could also be me, as some hits seem to be more centered, just majority left. Will slow down next range trip, but with astigmatism and both eyes open, always a challenge. I donít use special glasses for range EDC shooting as not very probable Iíd be wearing them in a real world event. Likely need to get used to gold bead sight as well.

I have a .38 Super DW Guardian (bought in 2015) and a .38 Super Colt Government (early 2019), neither of which worked out of the box (still fighting with the Colt). It was refreshing to obtain a .38 Super that actually works!

I very much look forward to finishing the break in process, giving it a thorough cleaning and taking some glamour shots to share with everyone!

Target 1

Target 2

Target 3

Target 4
NRA Patriot Life Endowment - 11/21/17
Old 12-04-2019, 02:34 PM

Well done! Thanks for the details. Look forward to the pictures.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:00 PM

Very nice, should be a great carry gun for you.

NRA Patron Life Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2020, 07:17 PM

Think I owed some pictures of my December 2019 Super Sentinel. My lo-profile holster in black elephant and new belt in black elephant (both from Wilson) came in yesterday so thought Iíd share a couple. Hadnít really planned on new holster, but Presidentís Day sale e-mail got me shopping on the site, then came across the holster. Then, of course, had to have matching belt. Neither on sale, but got my retired military discount. And the free shipping, which with Wilson is nothing to sneeze at! Wore all day today, including range trip. Quite comfortable and very concealable. I use LED lights throughout my house, which are terrible for picture taking. Iíll have to try to get some sunlight shots...whenever we get sun.

NRA Patriot Life Endowment - 11/21/17
Old 02-20-2020, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

The Wilson black elephant belt is my normal everyday wear for a belt; it's a great belt. looks like the Super Sentinel agrees with you pretty good!

Army M.P. 1971 - 1972
Wilsons: Several; Kimbers: 10mm (Wilsonized), .38S (Wilson barrel)
Old 02-20-2020, 09:49 PM

Very nice !!!

Super leather, too.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:47 AM

A great addition to anyone's arsenal. Enjoy it to the fullest.
Old 02-21-2020, 08:39 AM

Looks great!
Old 02-21-2020, 02:40 PM

A beautiful and superbly functional carry combination.

The combination of black AT gun, black starburst grips, black elephant holster, and black elephant belt has been what I've stayed with for years. Keeps things simple and looks great to my and many others' tastes.

"Freedom is only a temporary thing unless it is backed by the blunt capability and willingness to fight back against evil with sufficient arms." -- Myself

Last edited by chrysanthemum; 02-21-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2020, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the post. The Super Sentinel is on my short list of "I want one" pistols. Glad to hear that it does the job admirably.

Joe
NRA Benefactor Member
"Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat"