RIA M1911 Blown Primers/ Gun or Ammo problem? - 1911Forum
1911Forum
Advertise Here
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > >

Notices

Old 11-26-2019, 08:31 AM

RIA M1911 Blown Primers/ Gun or Ammo problem?

I Just took my brand new RIA M1911 A1 FS TCM TAC Ultra FS Combo to the range and experienced problems with Blown primers. I was shooting ARMSCOR 40 gr jacket hollow points. Out of a box of 50, I blew 3 primers and one backed out significantly. I didn't realize it was blowing primers till I had a fail to feed and found a primer in the chamber. At that point I thought it just happened once. After I policed my brass i realized it happened 3 times.
The brass shows signs of an over pressure condition (see attached photo).

I contacted ARMSCOR about possibly a quality control issue with there ammo. They say it is possibly gun related and want to generate an RMA for sending the gun back to get looked at. I have no problem sending the gun in to be checked out but what on a new gun could cause an over pressure situation like this?

Thanks in advance, Tom
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1412.jpg  
Old 11-26-2019, 10:55 AM

The gun division of Armscor will blame the ammo, the ammo division will blame the gun.

What about the gun COULD cause over pressure?
A drastically undersize barrel, either bore/groove or chamber neck.
Many years ago when the .243 Winchester was the latest and greatest, a well known foreign rifle company turned out some .241" barrels which was enough to raise pressure in a hot round.
Old 11-26-2019, 11:34 AM

Jim,
Thanks for the quick reply. That's the same exact thought I had about the 2 Divisions pointing fingers!
Since I posted this, I got an email from Armscor saying they would RMA and replace the ammo first and then if that doesn't fix it bring the gun in.

I know I don't have the tools to test the ID of the Bore but would a normal plunk test with the ammo tell me if the chamber was undercut?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2019, 06:06 AM

To check bore diameter, drive a soft lead fishing sinker through the barrel. Find one that is a bit bigger than bore diameter (.356") oil the bore then tap the sinker from the breach end through the barrel with a metal or hardwood dowel and then measure.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:33 PM

problem with 22TCM is that if they keep mucking up their production you're stuck with Armscor as the sole supplier. It's not like you can run out and by some Remington and try those and see if it narrows down to the gun or the ammo.
Lot's of things could be the problem, bad brass, bad primers, much less likely the gun itself.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:11 PM

So I’ve narrowed it down to bad ammo. I loaded Amscor pre primed Amscor brass with factory 40gr bullets to the same OAL as the factory rounds. I loaded them on the hot side. Out of those 50, I had zero signs of over pressure. I did however have about 5-6 fail to return to batteries.

I ordered and installed a wolf 8# recoil spring (stock is 7#) and now the gun runs beautifully!
Old 12-18-2019, 08:32 PM

OPPS! Cal.22TCM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
To check bore diameter, drive a soft lead fishing sinker through the barrel. Find one that is a bit bigger than bore diameter (.356") oil the bore then tap the sinker from the breach end through the barrel with a metal or hardwood dowel and then measure.
Read the OP again...Cal. 22TCM (Probably smaller than .356!)
Old 02-20-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfitch View Post
read the op again...cal. 22tcm (probably smaller than .356!)
oops~!
Old 02-20-2020, 07:48 AM

I was going to suggest early unlocking but all is well.
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:03 AM

So i finally got replacement ammo from Armscor (Took about a month).
The first box of 50, 3 Blown primers. Same range session I shot 50 of my brew with no problems. My reloads are made from Armscor preprimed brass and Armscor 40gr bullets w/ H110. I haven't run mine through a Chrono but w/ 11.2gr of H110 feels and sound about the same and the POI is close.
The Armscor ammo is Nickel plated vs Brass for the reloads.
At this point I'm going to run the gun as is and only shoot my reloads. I have a Dillon 550 all set up so there is no reason to buy Armscor ammo.
Old 02-20-2020, 03:59 PM

Lesson learned. Thanks for reporting back
The modern production 1911 - high visibility sights, beavertail grip safety, aluminum trigger, good trigger pull, enhanced slide/ frame fit, accurized barrel/bushing fit. If itís not a Kimber, itís a copy.