1911Forum banner

Nighthawk Custom Coversion

37K views 114 replies 23 participants last post by  TCNTN 
#1 · (Edited)
Nighthawk Custom Conversion

I am very interested in the Nighthawk 22 custom conversion kits. I own various SA and DW 1911s. I would love to hear from somone who has bought one of their new ones : Newest Design by Bob Marvel of Bob Marvel Custom Guns.

TIA :rock:

Anyone?

#2 ·
+1:rock:

#3 ·
There are 3 (!!!) .22 conversions associated with Bob Marvel at this point.

The first is made by Marvel Precision, a company started by Bob Marvel, but no longer associated with him.

The second is a rework of Advantage Arms product done by Bob Marvel Custom Guns.

The third is a yet to be released new .22 kit from Bob Marvel Custom guns.

Just thought I'd throw this out since it doesn't appear that this is any of the three above. Its produced by Bob Marvel Custom Guns. So its either a NHC badged Marvel rework of the Advantage arms target version, or he is offering NHC his new product prior to actually offering it himself.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

#4 ·
regardless of what brand you choose, makes sure you take magazine cost into your consideration. Mags for some conversions can cost a fortune. For example, Tactical Solutions conversion is a quality piece, probably the best for someone who wants to maintain the function and feel of their 1911 when shooting $90 each!!!!

In comparison Advantage Arms mags are about $25 ea.

#6 ·
The first thing you need to decide on is whether you want a fixed bbl "target" style conversion.

This is the most accurate, but does not operate the same as a standard 1911 because the entire slide doesn't go back and forth. The most accurate conversion based on discussions on rimfirecentral.com are the marvel precision conversions along with the Bob Marvel accurized Advantage arms conversions. The standard Advantage Arms target conversion is very accurate but not in the same league as either of the others.

If you want to use it to train "tactically" for lack of a better word, you are better off giving up a bit of accuracy for a conversion with a slide that reciprocates. If you want this kind of training, then a slide lock back is probably pretty important to you. In that case you are looking at Advantage Arms or Tactical Solutions. Remember the TacSol mags cost $90.

If you just want a plinker, Ceiner or kimber are fine. Their slide reciprocates like the real thing, but it doesn't lock back.

Because I'd like excellent accuracy, and am willing to give up some "realism", but want the slide to lock back and also want inexpensive mags, I'm currently looking at the target version of Advantage Arms conversion, if I could get it with a threaded bbl I'd have already bought one.

Of the units I mentioned above, I've shot a TacSol and an advantage arms target version. The other stuff mentioned above is gotten from the manufacturer's web sites and discussions on rimfirecentral.com.

The TacSol seemed the most "real" with its steel slide, but the $90 mags are a deal breaker for me.

Don

#7 ·
I put in an order for one of these last month, and was told it'd be "2-3 weeks"before they were in stock and shipping... so I might see it this month. :confused:

From what I gathered talking to Larry, the slides will lock back on the new units. Slide is aluminum but it's 'hard enough' to not get torn up on the slide stop. He made it sound like it would be a warranty issue if the slide did get buggered up.

I like the look of the low profile Elliason adjustable sight rib... ***almost*** a perfect match to the Gold Cup. Would like to see the combo sight/scope rib released soon too.

Hopefully the CC will get hit soon...

#12 ·
Just wondering why you want a 22 rim fire conversion anyway?

Not the same recoil.
Not the same weight
Not the same cycle rate
loading it is different.

Can't you just start reloading and shoot more that way?

I understand the concept but having played with the product I would stick with shooting the 45 loads.
Just for muscle memory alone.

Just My 2 Cents
ian

#15 ·
Just wondering why you want a 22 rim fire conversion anyway?
Sigh.

Why? We want them because we can have them.

Why not reload? Most of us do that too.

But they're not the "same" as a "real" 1911? Neither are any of the other pistols I own, that aren't "real" 1911s.

Why the Nighthawk unit? Because I was tired of waiting for Bob Marvel's website to get updated with info for direct purchase from him.

I just ordered my Nighthawk Bob Marvel conversion kit today. Greg told me on the phone that it will take about two months to get mine as they are back ordered big time. He did mention that they got their first big shipment in today so those of you with prior orders should see something in at least a week.

There is plenty of information on the benefits of a 22 conversion kit including the largest evidence in 1937 (U.S. Army and the Colt Ace conversion kit).

I cannot wait.
This is good news... Hope to get it to the range ASAP, but it's been so hot & humid around here, I probably won't go anytime soon.

#13 ·
Sight alignment and trigger squeeze. The foundation on which all other marksmanship skills are built upon is still there when you use a .22 conversion.

I reload .45. I buy bulk moly coated "black bullets" which are between cast and FMJ in price. I buy powder in 8 lb containers. I get all my brass for free as range pickups. I buy primers 5000 at a clip. So I'm getting my components at a decent price. As it is, I'm paying about $7.25 per 50 rounds.

In contrast, you can buy a case (5000 rounds) of CCI Blazer .22, which works great in every gun I own, for $150 shipped when there are specials. Thats $1.50 per 50 rounds.

There is no comparison. You're paying almost 5x for reloaded .45 vs .22. Even 9mm cost me about $5/box to reload these days.

So, for $15, I can go shoot off 500 rounds of .22. Thats 500 times squeezing the same trigger that I compete with when I've got the .45 upper on my 1911. Thats 100+ presentations from the holster. Thats a lot of great muscle memory building for less than the cost of 50 (!!!) rounds of Winchester White Box purchased at walmart.

I don't see how you can't see the value.

#14 ·
I just ordered my Nighthawk Bob Marvel conversion kit today. Greg told me on the phone that it will take about two months to get mine as they are back ordered big time. He did mention that they got their first big shipment in today so those of you with prior orders should see something in at least a week.

There is plenty of information on the benefits of a 22 conversion kit including the largest evidence in 1937 (U.S. Army and the Colt Ace conversion kit).

I cannot wait.

This post has been deleted
#27 ·
Received the conversion unit today. Overall I'm happy with the fit & finish. Mounted it up on a Colt frame, and it balances nicely. Might have some problems with the polymer magazine, but if it's anything like the other Marvel kits, there will be other options available.

I'll try to get some pics posted tomorrow, but a range report will probably have to wait until next weekend.

#29 ·
I have polymer mags, 5, for my Advantage Arms conversion. While each mag has only seem 1500 rounds I am very pleased with them.
The conversion kit action will not cycle with my poly mag locked in the Colt frame. The mag won't even lock in unless the slide is locked back. This is a ~1965 Gold Cup N.M., so I'll avoid messing with the mag until I get back to my Springfields.

#33 ·
At the moment all I have to compare the new Marvel/Nighthawk unit to is an old 1960s Colt conversion kit (with floating chamber & "Accro" sight). The Nighthawk is about 1 oz. lighter in weight.

Interestingly, both the colt conversion magazines & GSG 1911 mags fit fine with the Nighthawk kit installed. The feed lips on the poly mag are pushing on the ejector and neither the Colt kit or the Nighthawk will cycle with the mag. I'll test it on my Springer/RIA frames later this week. Got my fingers crossed that the GSG mags will turn out to be reliable in this kit... I've heard they work ok with the Colt conversions, and the Marvel Precision kits so there might be a chance...

#39 ·
I believe it's thinner to allow holstering in 1911 holsters, something the originals won't do.

I bought a used #1 unit with 5 steel mags a few months back. Then I lucked into a deal on here that was actually up for quite a while and bought 8 more steel mags for $200.

I wish mine had the lockback feature and it would fit in my holsters. However it is so sweet, I'm not looking to upgrade.:)

#36 ·
Back in July I gave them my credit card info and was placed on some wait list. I guess I am waiting for hell to freeze over or the Obama adminstration to get some brains.

Still waiting..........:hrm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.