1911Forum banner

S&W 686 no dash

9K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  USMM guy 
#1 ·
Picked it up today, no dash but had been sent back to S&W for the recall.
4", usual setup: smooth trigger, red insert front ramp, combat grips.

Great condition and it'll fit in nicely with my 686 6" (-5 or 6, can't remember but it has no internal lock and the firing pin on the hammer. drilled and tapped for a scope)

#9 ·
I had a 4" no-dash 686 back in the early 1990s. Unfortunately back then I was buying and trading off guns like mad, and in a fit of passion the 686 got the cut one day. I'm still kicking myself for that sale along with many others.

#11 ·
I have a dash four, six inch.

Pretty good shooter.

#20 ·
I have a 4" 686 no dash. It was my issue sidearm when the department started issuing duty weapons. When we transitioned to autos, the department let those of us who wanted them purchase them for what they were getting on trade-in.

Mine has the "M" but it hasn't been back to the factory. I was the department armorer, and I did the recall mods to all our 686 revolvers.

#22 ·

Here is the S&W Recall Notice on the 686 and other models:

"SMITH & WESSON
MODEL 581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1,
586-1, 681-1, 686-1 & 686CS-1, REVOLVERS

RECALL: Reports have been received from the field where the combination of a SMITH & WESSON L-FRAME 357 MAGNUM REVOLVER and some .357 Magnum ammunition has resulted in unacceptable cylinder binding. L-frame revolvers bearing model numbers:

581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1, 586-1,
681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1

Cylinder binding can cause a failure to fire. Mishandling a revolver while freeing the cylinder can result in accidental discharge.

Cylinder binding can result from a number of causes, including characteristics of an individual revolver or the use of ammunition, which does not conform to industry pressure specifications or is particularly fast burning. Recent developments in ammunition manufacture emphasize the production of .357 Magnum ammunition with increased velocity and greater primer sensitivity.

Although there have been very few reported incidents of cylinder binding, in view of our concern for our customer's safety and the reliability of Smith & Wesson products in all circumstances, we issue the following warning:

In a situation where a failure to fire can be critical - such as law enforcement or personal protection - do not use .357 Magnum ammunition with an L-frame revolver bearing model numbers 581, 586, 681, 686 or 581-1, 586-1, 681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1 without an "M" over the model number until you have had the revolver modified.

Those who need to use their L-frame revolver under these conditions prior to modification can safely fire .38 Special caliber ammunition.

Smith & Wesson has developed a modification to improve existing L-frame revolvers. This improvement enables them to fire all .357 Magnum ammunition, without cylinder binding. Shipments of L-frame revolvers from our factory after August 21, 1987 already include this improvement.

You can check if your revolver includes this improvement by looking at the left side of the frame when the cylinder is fully open. If your revolver has been stamped either with a "2" or higher number after the basic three-digit model number or with an "M" above the model number, your revolver includes this improvement and does not need modification. If your revolver bears the model number 581, 586, 681, 686, or 581-1, 586-1, 681-1, 686-1, 686CS-1 without an "M" over the model number, it does not include this improvement and your should have your revolver modified.

Smith & Wesson will modify your L-frame revolver free of charge to eliminate the possibility of cylinder binding with .357 Magnum ammunition. Law enforcement agencies wishing to arrange for modification of L-frame revolvers should call 800-458-8469 between 9 A.M. and 6 P.M. Eastern time (MA residents call 413-734-8244). Other users should send their revolvers to a Smith & Wesson Warranty Service Center, specifying "L-frame improvement program" and enclosing their name and return address.

One of the modifications to improve the L-frame revolver is the installation of a new hammer nose. This obsoletes all old L-frame hammer noses (part numbers 4702 and 7513) and all old L-frame hammer assemblies (part numbers 3366, 3378, 3380, 3382, 3391, 4722, 4723, 4726 and 4728) in field parts inventories. Superseded parts should never be fitted into a modified revolver as this may result in malfunction. It is essential for safety that you return these obsolete L-frame hammer noses and obsolete L-frame hammer assemblies for a free exchange to:

Smith & Wesson
Service Department
2100 Roosevelt Avenue
Springfield, MA 01101

Do not return L-frame hammer-nose bushings from your spare parts inventory inasmuch as they are useable in J, N and K-frame revolvers, which are not included in this Product Warning.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause. Smith & Wesson's first concern is the safety of its products and the protection of its customers."

#23 ·
I have a 686 no dash I bought off of a co-worker for $150 in the late 80"s. It was the gun I chose to take with me when I attended firearms instructor school at the Texas DPS Academy. I did experience cylinder bind when shooting .357 loads so I had an authorized service center in Houston make the repair. Probably my go to revolver. Forum member Dustin Housel is putting a new front sight on it for me as we peruse the forum. should be even better when I get it back

#24 ·
I had a Taurus Model 415 .41 Magnum Snub Nose. Like DSK it's one of those guns I regret selling/trading off.

It had a bad habit of the cylinder not being able to rotate after shooting a few rounds. I was finally able to figure out that with some ammo, in this case commercially reloaded with lead bullets, that under recoil the bullet would move out of the case just enough to prevent rotation. It didn't happen with JHP or other jacked ammo; just the lead bullets.

The only other problem was the distance between the trigger guard and the grip; the gun was sold as a compact; with my "normal" grip after firing I would end up with a bloody knuckle. To prevent that I had to change my grip....

#28 ·
I have a no dash 686 I purchased new in 1986. Sold it to a friend in 1989. Bought it back from the same guy 13 years later. It was a safe queen for him.
I now have it back and will never sell it again. Still have the original box and sales receipt. It is a 6 inch barrel. Love this pistol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.